New Maxtoch M24 Sniper - quick review

Simply dedoming the LED and get your light producing 173kcd, sounds good. On the other hand if we consider LED dedoming can generally double the candela, the stock candela should be around 86kcd, not 120kcd I think?

And I agree with what mrmatt said, hopefully the PWM frequency in the low and medium modes are not visible at all.

Sorry for the confusion - this light measured 83.1kcd stock on my meter, and improved with dedoming about 105% to 173k. Maxtoch claim 82.5k at 10m stock.

It gave 100 minutes runtime with my panasonic 3100s. The 120 mins I refer to is possible runtime if it was not dedomed.

I am uncertain about runtime difference for domed/dedomed torches. Some suggest domed/dedomed will be same runtime and they may be right, but my experience is domed ones running at half the lux actually give a little better runtimes. However I need to do some testing on a couple of lights stock then dedomed to confirm or refute this impression. Has anyone else checked this?

The new upgraded 2X (AR lens/copper board/XML2-U2) is on the way to us in NZ for field testing. We should have it in the next week or so and will immediately do some field tests, domed and dedomed meter tests, runtime tests etc. Should be a beauty as amanda suggests its 20-30% improved output over last years model with the BLF mods - so could be 120-125k lux standard. After Tom E and others get their hands on this it could be a 400+k lux grunter….

Don’t know about pwm.

Oh my bad too, I thought the “120” you meant was kcd, but you actually refer it to minutes. Sorry!

And I have not read anything regarding dedoming the LED will reduce the runtime yet. On paper the runtime is determined by the current draw and battery capacity though.

The reflector diameter of this light is about 60~62mm I guess? With this size of reflector I don’t think ones can reach the 400+kcd barrier with XM-L2. With XP-G2 or XP-E2 I would say 300+kcd at most. It’s already difficult for Trustfire X7 and Courui big head (both have 70mm reflector diameter) to touch 400kcd.

M24 and Maxtoch 2S have 63mm head.

I suspect the new upgraded 2X model (68mm head I think) might nudge 400k. Guys had it running round 360kcd or so with last year’s model.

9 1/2 ozs for this M24 beast seems very reasonable.
Now if I can get it tweaked to near 300ish kcd - wow!!

Let me know when these arrive?
Interested… but still not sure if i shouldn’t just save for a thrunite catapult v5.

What is the full dedoming process? How easy is it to make a mess of it?

Hi and welcome Bungarra. Without knowing what you can and cant do it could be easy or hard. I'd suggest you do some research and see whether you can tackle it or not. If not you may be near a member that can do it or you.

http://budgetlightforum.com/search?q_as=dedoming