New XM-L 2 x AA flashlight at SB

The flash light looks so cool and convenient to use 2 AA batteries.

I had one before, but was broken by my son. I got that one with lower price.

My point was that the quark was available at about the same price point during black friday + cpf discount.

My Caveman should be here tomorrow. I will evaluate it and let you guys know. 2 x AA lights are some of my favorite lights.

I'm with some of you guys. The Caveman is a nice looking light.

Where can we buy 2aa drivers similar to the one found on the Caveman?

I wonder how that works or if 4-7s is mad about this...someone ripping off your light, or using the same body you have? I guess in China you can just call the factory and say make me the same light as this guy...

Anyway it looks like a great light.

OK. My Caveman arrived.

First off, I'm not sure 4Sevens was the company that developed this style and shape of flashlight. Like most companies, 4Sevens has their lights made by factories in China. They order their lights to be made to certain specs, size and shape but they don't own the size and shape exclusively. Many different lights are made in the same factory for different flashlight companies and I doubt any are given an excursive, especially in China.

Now as for the Caveman. It is not a Quark AA2 Turbo. There are differences. I will start off by saying it the length and diameter of the head are the same but the Caveman's body is .94" and the Quark is .86. Not a lot of difference but some. As far as I can see in the pictures of the Quark, (I don't own one) the lights do look almost identical.

The differences are internal. The Caveman is an XM-L whereas the Quark Turbo is an XP-G R5.

The Caveman has only 3 modes. I really like this and they are spaced quite well. 290, 130 and 8 lumens. You scroll through the three modes by clicking on the light and then changing the modes by loosening and tightening the head. It memorizes and stays on the last mode you used until you change it. There are no hidden modes and no flashy modes. The Quark has a primary high mode and lets you choose from 7 different secondary modes but you can only program 2 modes into the flashlight at any one time the same as my Quark AA2 Tactical.

I really like the shape and solid feel of the Caveman. I really like the UI alot. This will probably become my favorite 2xAA light. I'm a little disappointed in the listed battery life that came with the light. It says it will run for 1 hour on high mode. I'm doing a run time test as I write. My Klarus P2A and Jetbeam BA20 both burn for at least 1.75 hours on high mode with 2350 to 2700 mAh batteries. My Quark AA2 Tactical with 205 lumens will only burn for about 1.3 to 1.5 hours on the same batteries.

I will have to wait for darkness but from what I see now, the Caveman has a larger hotspot and more spill than my Klarus and Jetbeam which are both XP-G R5 lights. Usable throw will probably be about the same as the Klarus and Jetbeam at about 100 yards. That's pretty good and as much as I will likely ever need from this class of light. I have other lights for throw.

All in all for a quality XM-L light, the Shiningbeam Caveman hits a home run for $43. The Quark Turbo with a XP-G R5 is $75 and unless you need a firefly mode or flashy modes, I'm not sure it's a better light.

Way to go Bryan and Shiningbeam.

Great review...that UI sounds very good. I would really like to get this light. Looks perfect for me.

And shipping to Canada is only 2.95, that is an excellent rate.!!!!!

Don't forget you can get like 6% off or something like that with the cpf coupon code. I think its "cpfuser" but its been a while so I can't remember for sure.

I think we should approach Bryan about giving us our own BLF coupon code, because if I order another light from him I would almost be ashamed to label myself as a "cpfuser"

True - this light would be a good group buy, its like the classic 2xAA quality light.

I did use the CPFuser discount code and got the 6% discount.

My light is the XM-L T6 which is $47.75 before the discount. The XM-L T5 is $42.75 before the discount. One is rated at 290 lumens and the other is rated at 270 lumens. Not sure how much difference there is in real life other than maybe a little different tint. My XM-L T6 is not as cool white in tint as my Klarus P2A or Jetbeam BA20 but it's not as warm as my Quark AA2 Tactical.

I will email Bryan and see if he want's to make a BLF discount code.

I just got done with a battery run time test in the Caveman. I was using Duracel 2450mAh batteries. I didn't notice any drop in brightness for the first 1.5 hours and it still was going in high mode at 1 hour 50 minutes without the stepdown although brightness was diminished. Looks like about the same burn time as my Klarus P2A and Jetbeam BA20. I'm happy to find that it runs much longer than the 1 hour the instructions mention.

Bigmac 79 measured it to : Time Regulated: 1:43
Time to 50%: 1:45
Time until first off: 2:25
Time back on: 1:00
Total Runtime: 3:25

Remember, a Chinese factory will charge you ~15k (give or take a few thousand) for retooling and preparing molds, prototype, etc before production even begins. That's probably why we see so many similar models. Maybe I'm wrong

Thanks for that great review...I am sure that for the price it is a STEAL. If only it came with some discount coupons :P Let us know the tint if you can and some beam shots:)

EDIT: Reading further down the thread, I see it is already with cpf discount :)

EDIT2: Tints mentioned too!!

I'd particulary like beamshots of quark x aa2 tactical vs this one if that is not asking too much from you mate. Thanks1

I tried to do some beamshots the other day and they didn't work out. I don't know how to set the exposure on my camera and all the photos come out looking much brighter than they are in real life.

I would absolutely buy this light .

Ok. I tried to do a daylight beamshot of the Quark AA2 Tactical and the Caveman. It doesn't show up very good in the pictures but in real life they Caveman is somewhat brighter and has more spill. An added bonus is the batteries last 15-20 minutes longer in the Caveman. Both photos are the same only one is larger. Top beam is Quark and bottom is the Caveman.

Yeah definetely appears to be brighter/ better hotspot. The spill is not too clear. Only annoyance is the PWM at low levels??

I guess there is an advantage of having bad ears. All those years of shooting guns without hearing protection. I couldn't hear PWM if I put an amplifier to it.

Remember, this beamshot is in the middle of the day. Spill doesn't show up good until night.

Does Quark make a AA2 X Tactical with the Turbo head? I was looking for it and I could only find the Turbo head with an XP-G R5.