Nichia 219C D320 - BLF Special Deal V2 - MTN Electronics

I used my BLF A6 bare aluminum as a host and also kept the driver for the triple light. And suddenly I love the light I never really liked! Especially with the short tube it’s a stunner. I’m playing with it all day long and take it everywhere. Real Every Day Carry :-))

Well it runs relatively okay (5 amps or so ) with a 22 awg wire and Panasonic PF as far as i can remember, Samsung 29e gave similar results…the problem here is the lack of a good dedoming method( i havent tested it in a hot gas though), yet if one needs if for a tripple or EDC or anything else at that price its an exellent deal. Those goes arround 4 euros arround here…2$… i am so tempted to buy 20pcs :slight_smile: Plus some of those U4 1A…

I got 6A+ in a FET based tube light, even on a SANYO GA cell w/22 AWG LED wires. Probably the LED wires would be the best way to cut down the amps with a FET driver - maybe use 26 AWG. I’d hate to take the spring bypass out and risk a melted spring.

Djozz, has anyone sent you some of these yet? If not, send me a PM and we'll get you a few to torture test.

I don’t have any experience dedoming. What is preventing a good dedome with the 219c? I saw in djozz’s test thread it looked like some of the phosphor came off with the dome.

What about slicing? What prevents this from working?

Does fine sanding work to precisely remove material and leave a smooth enough surface?

I just bought a few of these 219c emitters and I think I will give dedoming a try.

Edit: after reading through djozz’s 219c test thread, there have been some “successful” dedomes by slicing and I think a soak in solvent method, but the throw numbers from these dedomes are significantly less than with a dedomed xp-g2 s4.

I believe (but did not test) that there is an optimum gain in luminosity of the die depending on output spectrum. Photon recycling caused by dedoming requires an excess of blue light, so cooler leds will have more of that, but that blue also needs to encounter enough phosfor to be converted.

So I imagine the really angry cool leds will not have the maximum gain, but also the warm leds will not have it. And I do not really know why, but I expect higher CRI leds not to have maximum gain of luminosity from dedoming either.

So perhaps this 70CRI 219C may be a better candidate for dedoming than the 83CRI

Just speculation though…

Hi Richard, I would love some of these for testing, but I doubt that they handle current any different than the 83CRI ones. But I’m curious to see the performance.

Hmmm… That is really high number considering sanyo ga.

I thought we could add something in a circuit to lower A draw. I am not electrician or engineer so I don’t know what would be suitable.

Maybe thicker driver and switch spring + long 26 awg wires (but I am afraid of them, they’re to tiny…)

If current draw can be regulated on 4-5A and if someone successfully de dome it this could be winner in single cell fet configurations.

I am currently not building or buying anything because i bought Crees new “improved” XP G2 series and lost some money so I will just wait and depend on you guys, your reviews, reply and on your builds in well known host. Really hope that this can be as good or better than lets say old xp-g2 s4 2b :frowning:

Edit: We should not forgot on old nanjg’s 105 c (qlites) so generic 8 x amc 7135 105c = 2800 and there is version with 7138 chips… That means only about 4 chips needs to be stacked :slight_smile:

Will a triple with these fit under the 10507 carclo lens without any modding?

Yes. The dome is pretty much the same size as an XP-G2.

Chances are very doubtful these would help you, and the XP-G3's sound worse for throw as well. You, I believe, are interested only in throw for this application you have, so nothing is sounding very good, currently or in the near future. Don't think the XP-E2 "Torch" version is good either because of limited amps, though I haven't heard of any de-domed throw results from it. There's all this new stuff out, but marginal improvements, and not targeting max throw for us.

I agree with Tom. I doubt that these will give you any improved throw over an S4, especially dedomed, since these are near impossible to dedome cleanly. There many be some developments there in the future, but for now if you need dedomed throw I think the options that will match the "old" XP-G2 S4 are getting harder to find.

In fact I would be glad if this could have same or a bit lower performance than s4…

New xp-g2 s4 2b ded has about 30% lower performance than old one with ugliest tint ever seen on this or any forum :slight_smile:

Nobody tried hot gas on nichia emitters yet(even Mitko). It could work, and worth a try.

Dedoming those D320 vs D280 could differ alot btw, its like V5 vs V6 dedoming, in another topic here i already said that XPL V6 is very hard to clean dedome both chemicaly or electricaly, V5 on the other hand is relatively easy( i ruined not one or two V6s )
Its not like XML/XPG dedoming M8s, those all dedome great

Its realy low indeed, a dedomed S2 1A ( doing 4.5amps) vs dedomed IMPROOVED S4 2B( again at 4.5amps); 185k mcds vs 155k mcds in a C8 host….

The new S4 2B tint after dedoming……well, i wouldnt say its very bad, its altualy good for hunting, kinda greenish with an AR glass

Do we have an Australian enthusiast to order/test some of those Cutter XPG2 emitters ? :slight_smile:
When we ( at least EU folks) could arrage to buy a roll( or anything) as a GB

I tried Arrow Europe and Mouser but emplyees dont give a damn about that matter, they only read part numbers….no BLFers arround them sadly

I am afraid it ain’t good even for hunting.

If this is nice to you than we have different emitter taste I am afraid :slight_smile:

We should not spam this topic with XP-G2

To return on subject…

Mitko try hot gas de dome on Nichia. I believe it could work…

A little bit of off-topic never hurt anyone! I have a question! What if you used a rose tinted emitter to begin with, like a 2D, 3D, or even 4D tint? Would that be enough to offset the green shift?

DavidEF,

Cree changed production process for all XP G2 bins so maybe some of them could have nicer tint but they’ll all have significant lux drop.

I could chew even that ugly green tint but I can’t chew lower performance. As Mitko said some hunter may like it…

So no point in using new series of G2 any more when they perform same or less than XML 2.

they might be a good choice to change my XP-G2s in my Meteor (first run- S2 1D dedomed)

the green tint makes me use it seldom….

how much whould you think the cd are falling?

Just a reminder, tomorrow (April 23rd) is the last day for the promotion. There is still a few of everything left, but the 20mm Triples are almost gone.

Just built my s2 triple with the d320. Whoa mama. Paired it with the BLF a6 driver. Well… Only because I used my mtn fet upgraded version in a c8. Wish I had been more patient.

So my triple gets about 8.5A at the tail cap using a 30q. What a beast! I’m thinking it’s around 2500 lumens, but I don’t have anything that bright to calibrate my ceiling bounce. Slap in a ncr18650b and it tames it enough for extended use.

The c8 with the d320 and mtn fet is a winner as well. Gets about 6.5A, which I think is around 1600 lumens.

So glad I jumped on this deal