NIGHTWATCH NI40 SBT-90-GEN2

Yeah, those cheap chinese tips are crap. I did a video on why.

If you want to keep using that iron I would at least suggest you buy one or two genuine hakko tips. Their performance seems to be much better then the cheap ones. Still, if it’s oxidizing and turning dark then it’s definitely getting too hot. You need the extra temperature just to get it to perform halfway decent, but then it’s going to oxidize quick. With the hakko tip you should get good performance at a lower temperature.

I got away from this style tip completely and went to the cartridge style where each tip has its own heater built in. These are superior.

Yeah, performance-wise this light is excellent. I’m sure there could be improvements here and there but I don’t think that’s very major.

I sent a PM to Martin and Neal two weeks ago, asking for further details about the actual stepdown regulation and if 50°C is not a way too conservative number to use. So far, I didn't receive any feedback yet.

I am still waiting also.Martin responded but was not sure. Neal has yet to respond. That was on October 23rd.

One last thought about a 50C step down. It is way too conservative.

One example. On Thrunite website for a TN42 it has this in the specs.

ITC Technology
The light will automatically lower the current when temperature in LED or driver rises to 80 degrees centigrade to protect the flashlight from overheating.
Thus to extend its lifespan.

For those unfamiliar with Celsius.

50C=122F

80C=176F

The numbers speak for themselves.

The truth is these flashlights can handle much higher temperatures than 80° Celsius. The only reason they have a thermal step down is to protect the user from getting burned.

80°C will burn you. If that’s correct it’s the exception and not the rule. Almost all flashlights that have a step down set the limit to around 55°-60°. Keep in mind it may not be accurate. They can try to set it to 60°, but it might go a bit higher or lower. The thermal sensor is usually on the driver and not on the body of the light.

Now that I look at the wording of the TN42 you quoted, it does not say it lowers when the exterior reaches 80°C, it’s when the led or driver (inside the body) reach 80°. This means the exterior could be much cooler.

^

You are right. The Driver/LED can take higher temperatures and I would think most if not all the manufacturers give that step down temp. based on the internals[Driver/LED] and not the exterior[handle/head].In that sense both the 50C and 80C step downs are on equal ground[Internal measurements]

I do not think that anyone can argue that 50C and 80C is a big difference in choosing a step down for a flashlight.

I use to have a TN42 and my hand always determined when to lower the output, not the thermal step down.

“IF” the NI40 SBT90 G2 indeed has a 50C step down, the handle will be cooler than that internal temperature and it will most assuredly step down before most users would prefer.