NOVA: Search for the Super Battery

The wireless things are slowly trickling down to the civilian market at a snails pace. Like the new charging doodads that can charge your phone from a couple feet away. And att I read somewhere is trying to get away from landlines completely. But they have to slowly build a new grid for it. Very slowly it will trickle down. I wouldn’t be surprised I’ll be dead if my young kids grandkids is the time wireless electricity will be in the civilian market as standard.
Tesla was way ahead of his time. The only reason his backers cut him off was because they couldn’t find a way at the time to meter and make money off electricity that was sent through the atmosphere. And he was working on ways to produce electricity from the atmosphere itself. That’s why he set up in colorado springs because of the severe thunderstorms in that area. And there’s a reason the govt swooped in as soon as he died and confiscated all his papers and works.

There was another guy one of his assistances that had some papers and a guy picked up a bunch of books at a estate sale and never heard of Tesla. And he posted online that he found some papers. And was trying to get some more info about this Tesla guy. And surprise surprise his house was broken into and only thing taken was all the papers, the floppy disks with that info and his computer was wiped clean.
People also have a hard time understanding that what you see in all the tech magazines and online is civilian science. They think their are at the cutting edge of technology and they are led to believe that. The science that’s done at wright Patterson airforce base, groom lake, s4, etc is military science and in some areas 50 to 75 years of what civilian science is today. That’s the real cutting edge stuff. Like drones the size of fly’s there just now admitted to. Theyve had fly size drones for 25 years now.

Doubt it. Efficiency is lower when compared to wired, even when beamforming.

Wired will always be better in terms of power transmission.

This is why I like these discussions people not believing helps keep me safe. To understand where science really is you have to throw out everything you think you know about it. Civilian science isn’t military science. All the tech magazines you see are at least 50 years behind the military. Just like 25 years ago the military had the equivalent of 16k resolution and now we are just getting 4k today the last 4 or 5 years. And it will be another 25 years or so before we get to that 16k in the civilian market as standard. What the civilian science thinks is cutting edge is really cutting edge to them they are led to believe it. The real science is done on secure military installations. And only the best and brightest civilian scientist are allowed in and then you won’t hear from them again. They stop publishing papers. They fall off the map pretty much until the military is done with them. Like said above these scientist are given a unlimited budget truly unlimited to get what the govt wants out of them. More money goes into the USA black budget then anything else from Congress. And it grows yearly. Wasting a few billion on failed projects until they get it right is nothing. No university can afford to do that
Just like the fly sized drones they’ve had for 25 years now. And if there saying that it’s been longer. Literally they’ve been able to be a fly on the wall and spy on whoever or whatever they’ve wanted to. Your now just seeing cameras the size of a grain of sand, and ants holding micro chips. These is ancient tech for the military. They have these stuff for decades now

I’m not saying that I don’t believe you. I do believe you.

I’m just saying that for the same distance, wired power transmission will always be better than wireless power transmission. Pushing electricity through air is harder than through a wire.

Also, we have had 16k panels for a long time. You just needed really big pixels and panels. How power hungry was that hardware though? Trying to push 16K resolution today on 4X Titan Vs requires nothing short of 2000W including the monitors. Imagine how much power a supercomputer would need to consume to push that many pixels through a massive monitor that would consume just as much power back then.

It’s not always about cost, but also power and size. The military had 20 000 lumen lights that could throw a kilometer for a long while, but could you hold it in your hand and only use 8 cells to power it, while not needing active cooling? While now we have them that fit in our hands.

However, the military do have some technology that interest me a lot, like how they are pushing 100s of watts through the air without hurting someone, or having a 10kW laser burning through everything.

There is more to it as you said however.

1. People also used to say that flying machines made of metal weren’t possible. Maybe watch what you say… you never know what devices will exist in the future, maybe power transmission through photons which travel at the speed of light, faster than electrical signals in a wire.

2) You can’t SLI titan Vs so you can only use one at a time to drive displays. Having 4 will not increase performance unless it’s for rendering or number crunching.

I wish I knew the specs on some of the stuff. They would show us the targets and what we needed to know. Sometimes it was people sometimes it was equipment. Usually Russian,or Pakistan and we would go get it. Besides facial recognition they could see someones fingerprints from satellites. They could also use ears. Every human has unique ear pattern. They could verify a target by getting a good photo of a hand. I was a highly trained trigger puller basically. I got to see and use some amazing stuff. But I wasn’t on the tech side of that stuff. That was above my security clearance. Our body armor wasn’t the usual sapi plates we could get shot multiple times and not have penetration. It could even take a grenade blast. It was basically like that dragon skin body armor. When they invest so much into you. They don’t want you to die. We had stuff to pick up unique heat signatures. All kind cool stuff. We got showed how to use it and trained with it and that was it. Your only told what you need to know. You had to be self sufficient. And sometimes hide out for a week or more. Sometimes you only get one chance to get a target and you have to know it’s the right one without a doubt. And if we did get killed there was nothing on us to link the body back the the govt. Like I said above most won’t believe any of this and I hadn’t said anything to specific that would break my nda. But this is about as far as imma go my first couple years or so wss normal infantry type stuff. The last 3 years was were all the interesting stuff happened. I had to extend my contract out 2 more years to be able to go into it. I decided to not reenlist again because I just knew I wouldn’t survive if I did. Just a gut feeling, learned to always trust it and it’s gotten me out some bad situations.

there is a 5000 cycle battery now
if you only discharge 10% (standard li-ion) , it will last 5000 of those light cycles
which is fine as long as you are OK with it being 10x as big and 10x as expensive

wle

“Battery cycles” are defined as the number of times that a battery’s capacity is drained and refilled from it.
If you discharge it 10% and recharge it, you have completed 10% of a cycle.
It is not how many times it is partially drained and recharged.

I think his point was that if you want to take a Samsung 30Q 18650 cell, and call it a “300 mAh cell”, then it has 5000 cycles. You just have to make sure to only charge it as high as 3.8v, and not discharge it below 3.7v. That is, redefine the voltage of “full charge” and “depleted charge”, and you can cycle it 5000 times.

Similarly, you could also take that 30Q cell, and call it a “3300 mAh cell”. You just charge it up to 4.3v, and discharge to 2.5v. Then you have a 3300mAh cell, but it only has maybe 100 cycles.

But… it’s not a 300mAh cell…
The capacity of a lithium battery isn’t arbitrary, it is a measured quantity from 4.2v down to 2.8v.
Just because you falsely advertise it as a 300mAh cell does not mean that it’s capacity is 300mAh and doesn’t mean it has 5000 charge cycles.
Those 300mAh might just be going from 3.9 to 3.8v, far from the full range.

One charge cycle is discharging and recharging the full capacity of the cell, aka 4.2 down to 2.8 and back up to 4.2.
Regardless of what it says on the label.

Not really. The upper charge limit of 4.2v is arbitrary. It’s a compromise between capacity and cycle life. If you charge to 4.1v (which many do), you’ll get about twice the cycles but lose 10% capacity. If you charge to 4.3v, you’ll lose half your cycles but gain 10% capacity. Depending on whether you charge to 4.1v or 4.2v or 4.3v, changes the effective capacity of the battery.

Just because 4.2v is normally the voltage chosen, doesn’t necessarily make it the right one.

I get what you’re saying, but I also understand what his point was too. You can view it either way.

As for Ultrafire 12000mAh 18650 cells, well… I don’t know quite how they manage that.

They don’t manage anything. It’s a blatant lie to sell dangerous, low-capacity (usually discarded) batteries.

Charge them to 10.4V, of course.

(Of course, cycle-life is –3, which follows observed performance.)

i think ‘battery cycles’ are defined ‘flexibly’

example:

• lots of times they talk about “oh you can charge this in 15 minutes” - neglecting the fact that:
    A. that may overheat and hurt the battery in the long run and
    B. you still have to monitor temperature, if it gets too hot, you have to slow the charging down
    C. a 15 minute “charge” is 80% of the capacity - or less - it leaves out the final, constant voltage, phase

i’ve also seen cycles defined as “less than 100% cycles”

maybe that is for lead acid, i get confused, i work for exide who makes both, and read ads from the competition

wle