NOW 70% OFF COUPON!! DIY TorchLite 2x26650 XM-L, SST-90, SST-50 etc Host!

Well, look at it like this, I added material to the base of my pill to fit the depth of my driver, so it stands to reason you should be able to remove some to fit your driver of choice. I’d give it a go and see what you come up with.

If TorchLite went out of business, then that flash light of yours is priceless! A collector’s item. :nerd_face:

I love this Torchlite so much as built, I really want to purchase a second one from Jason. Problem is I wouldn’t know how to build the second one up to exceed the first one. I did want to make one with an SST-90 for throw, but I don’t like the fact, properly driven, they require serious power from the batteries. I’ll see what others come up with before I decide.

If this question was referring to me, yes I built it with the latest MT-G2 LED with a 5a driver sitting behind it. I believe it’s rated at 2600-2800 lumens on high mode with that much power. The new AR coated lens also gets a bit more lumens out the front too.

I love the quality of the light, feels fantastic in the hand.

I feel the same about this light as Richie. In addition to what he said has great heat sinking and can handle 26650’s. I personally am in love with the beam pattern of this light. It has very good throw that smoothly transitions into a very usable spill. For me, I see things in the distance better if there is not a sharp cut off around the hot spot.

I am thinking that I may ultimately mimic what Richie did. Right now I just have in it what I had laying around. 2.8A nanjg, xm-l2 t6 nw. Set up like this it now my favorite compact thrower beam wise, then my HD2010(xml U2, 3.5A nanjg), then my ZY-T08 (stock). Keep in mind that I walk around in a heavily wooded area with no area lighting. So I have a lot of nearby objects most of the time. That is why I like the smooth transition from the hot spot.

Oh, I’m only using one 18650 with a spacer.

Hey Gords,

Just wondering if you’ve tried the ENERPOWER Protected 26650 4500 mAh cells yet? They seem to be available in your area, I think. I’m sure they’d give great run time for the Torchlite.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261156004037?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Hey richie, not yet……

I need to free up some funds and work to pick up a bit, but I will be getting some at some point.

I’ve had confirmation my drivers shipped from lck-led while i had no internet access so I see my torchlite going up in lumen output soon. :slight_smile:

There’s supposed to be a group buy going on for the enerpower cells, dont know if that’ll happen before I’m ready to buy or after I’ve ordered. :~

Oh, ima4whlr, you can free up plenty of space for cells by taking the brass plunger and plastic top hat out of the tailcap assembly. Both myself and richie have done this and now have two 26650 protected cells in there, no problem.

If you like the xm-l in there, this driver

Is working very well for me. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately that group buy seems to have died pretty quick. We’ll see how my MNKE IMR 26650 cells work out that Jason from EDC has sent. Should have them in a couple of days.

Thought so. I’ll possibly order the enerpower cells in April. I think the exchange rate and shipping kills them for you guys. I know they tested well for hkj.

Thanks for the plunger idea. I saw that a few pages ago and followed that advice as soon as I started working on the light. It is a great tip. My problem was that I was trying to run parallel with 2 long protected cells.

Looks like a good driver with nice features and efficiency. Do you know if anyone has figured out how to mod it for higher output? I have ordered a replacement driver for my TR-3T6. I think it puts out around 4.5A unmodded. I’m wanting to explore moving the driver circuitry to the space around the reflector. I’m going to split it up and see if I can get it in there. If it doesn’t work, I’ll have a replacement driver for the TR-3T6 (If I don’t ruin it).

Yeah, I really wanted to order 3 of these cells to use in my Skyray 9xT6 or AK-47. I’ll have to wait until they are sold by some US sellers or non-fake versions from China.

On Friday I placed an order with Jason from EDC+ for some high output MNKE IMR26650 3700mAh cells. Although unprotected, they are IMR, so they are pretty safe batteries to use. Over at CPF, I’d seen them push these upwards of 9a or more and have received excellent reviews.

I’m going to use 2 in my Torchlite, which work great in by the way, and the other 3 in one of my higher current lights. All charged fine to 4.2 volts and are already in service.

Jason somehow got these batteries here so fast, I had to look out the window to see if they were actually being delivered by the postman, or if Jason had his running suit on delivering them himself. Great job Jason, and as always, thanks for the great service you provide to the forum.

Here is the link to the cells: http://edcplus.com/mnke-imr26650-3700mah-p-5.html

They look pretty good Richie, same problem for me as the enerpowers for you though. By the time I bought two, paid the shipping, paid the import duty and “handling fee” |(

I could have the enerpowers. 8)

I think I was a bit lucky with the Enerpower 26650’s and to also get them with 9amp PCB’s. They charged me 7.50EUR’s shipping, but some of that shipping was due to some type of shipping container for each battery. Either to protect the cells in transport, or to satisfy customs, or perhaps both. But I feel your pain too.

Hi folks,

I wanted to see if I was able to get better focus on my Torchlite, so I removed the pill and star from the light. I shaved just less than 1mm from the top of the pill where the reflector actually sits in contact with the pill. I did this in order to get the mtg2 LED to sit further into the reflector. In fact, it’s about as far as you can get it now. I put everything back and compared it to the previous beamshot. I was able to see a more defined clearer hotspot. With the size of the mtg2, I’m doubtful it can actually be made into a very tight narrow spot beam unless a reflector is designed for this emitter. Still, I’m happy with the final result, if only subtle.

Previous Torchlite Beam Shot

Latest beam shot with less than 1mm shaved from top of pill at reflector seat.

Thanks for the great beam shots Richie. That pill shave really made a big difference.

Dang that looks quite a bit more focused. Do you have any lux measurements before and after?

I’m getting back on mine tonight, drivers have turned up today.

Richie, did you just file the pill down a touch to get the focus?

I’ll post up picks of the drivers sat in the pill, one is 5a hi-mid-lo-strobe. Not ideal but its only 12mm in height so may drop in there. The other may need to pill extending to suit.

wow, that made a big difference

sinkpad mtg2 pcbs should be about that much thicker.

I finally got de-doming right, on the third try, and then I reflowed it to a sinkpad, so I’m waiting for a driver to arrive and i’ll have 1 done.