NOW 70% OFF COUPON!! DIY TorchLite 2x26650 XM-L, SST-90, SST-50 etc Host!

Its a Ledil Lena-s that work ‘kindly’ bought for me :wink:
I’ve just looked on the Ledil web site and there are loads of these reflectors for different leds and Im not sure of the part number that Im using…Will try and figure it out and post beam shots
Ive had the reflector for months, just never found an led that does it justice…until now!

woody

ah, I had a look on cutter, found this

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1110

and got excited, a mag with a 90 - 100mm head would be quite exciting in my mind.

Try this :bigsmile:

http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut1256

Looks very similar to the one I got from digikey, different part no. though

ooooo that’s a big smooth bugger, me likey!

My driver isn’t potted either, but I did make sure the driver grounds were all properly soldered to the pill extension I made. But if you’re pulling 3.24 amps at the tail, it sounds like your in good shape.

I would like to know what thermal paste or adheisive you used under the star? I don’t recall if I needed to slightly sand down the star’s perimeter in order for it to sit flat on the pill. If your star is not seated well, that can cause this non-impressed observation you have. If you have the time this weekend, see if you can post a beam shot comparing it to something similar, just not a Skyray King, which really outshines it.

That’s good to hear. I was worried I was over driving the led. I haven’t ever tried to figure out the math because I usually use single or parallel cells to around 3.5 amps max. Thank you for that info.

If you go with the same driver on one of your lights, you should be able to use a .215 extension. You will probably have to drill holes that are on one side of the pill (not opposite sides of the led) for the LED wires. The 1/4” extention I am using fully crunches my little P60 tail spring. If I was using 26650’s, it would probably be bypass the switch by the cell contacting the switch retaining ring. I will be shortening my extension on the next battery change.

Hello, folks. Has the hive mind uncovered a good driver to use with the MT-G2?

I used the one from I-O but it required a lot of persuasion (Aka sand the s* out of) to get in there.

http://intl-outdoor.com/boostbuck-318v-triple-xml-circuit-board-p-542.html

Gords said this 5A driver fit much better. He talks about it just a few posts up.

http://www.lck-led.com/constant-current-circuit-board-modes-p-935.html?cPath=37_135

Theres also a thread where dthrckt used a well potted 9A driver for his beast.
That thread is here.

Speaking of, I still need to put the final tweaks on mine…

the three mode one I used is perfect if your happy at 5 - 6 amp, for me, it made an extremely nice simple build so that would be my recommendation.

if you want to really push it

this one would probably fit using a 29mmcontact board and the retaining ring flipped as I detailed earlier in the thread, that’s how I fitted the 5amp board.

Ok, cool. I’m in USA…is Cutter still the only/cheapest place to source an MT-G2?

not sure tbh, I’ve not seen any mention of the mtg-2 available elsewhere and pretty much, we’re the only lunatics playing with them yet. I think people are put off because they think the mtg-2 = thrower, it doesn’t, it throws with brute force, what it does really well is flood well and throw reasonably well at the same time, it gives a lovely smooth wall of light out, its definitely not a laser beam, and if that’s what you expect you’ll be disappointed, as I said above, it’s subtle how it delivers the lumens, you need a minute to realise just how bright it is because that brightness is spread about so well.

Nope, wall of light with good flood and throw is exactly what I want. :slight_smile:

Still the ONLY place AFAIK

I need to order more.

I’ve ruined FIVE of them. That’s right…over $100 dollar down the tubes. Well…lots of knowlege gained lol.

4 will still be usable - they put out a crazy blue/UV light (no dome or phosphor) that charges glow stuff so fast that its unbelievable. I wonder if they’d make good scorpion finders.

They’ll go in my boat…. 2s2p = 12V. I have a lot of glow paint in my boat…when it is charged it puts out enough light to see when night fishing, and these will charge it in seconds 8)

Yeesh. I checked Mouser, DigiKey, Farnell, Arrow, etc. None of them have the MT-G2. Some folks have it on ePay, but look to be about as expensive as Cutter.

Thats an excellent description of a beam shot, just about nails it (who needs a photo?) :wink:

With the ledil reflector Im using, it throws about 400m but floods about 395m and with a lovely tint too! Epic stuff, just makes me grin every time I fire it up and sweep the wall of light across the fields….wish I’d bought more

I’m still hankering after that reflector I found and a hunk of aluminium.

shame I’m trying to buy a house so mods will have to go on the back burner. :smiley:

that reflector is awesome, thanks for posting.
and I like the description of the beam clinches it, I’m going to have to buy one.

Not sure if this has been mentioned. 20mmm PCB 6V 90CRI versions are now available in 3000k & 4000k but with a considerable drop in flux. Still a nice CRI to consider with so many lumens on tap.

http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+MTG+on+20mm+MCPCB
http://www.cree.com/led-components-and-modules/products/xlamp/arrays-directional/~/media/Files/Cree/LED%20Components%20and%20Modules/XLamp/Data%20and%20Binning/XLampMTG2.pdf

I hardly ever use my throwers to their fullest potential, or even get much of a chance to. Although a cool “wow” light to own and play with, mega-throwers are mostly useless in nearly all of my personal situations. In fact, they can be downright irritating to everyone around me at close to intermediate ranges. The “powerful gentle long throwing blanket of light” concept seems like the next sensible frontier in this hobby.

Even with my VSS3A, I run it in maximum flood mode most of the time and modded it to give even more flood than stock specs allowed. Even though the 1 degree reflector setting can easily illuminate high altitude air traffic, its all but useless without high powered optics to see out to that range. Taking a sensible look in how most people use their flashlights, a power flooder with good range seems to make the most sense, and maybe it always has. We just never had a single efficient emitter that could do both.

Thanks to everyone for all the great tips. Ive certainly learned a lot here… mostly in how to rethink how I use my flashlights and what makes them the most useful.

Sorry to get off topic…

no worries flash pilot, I have a feeling you’d love one of these builds reading above, maybe pm dthrckt. :wink: