Olight S Mini

Those “angry wife” versions are stunning!

Just got the email my bead blasted has shipped :smiley:

Anybody knows how durable are PVD coatings on Olight S1/S-mini for EDC?

I EDC’d my S1 Ti for almost a year and got only a single tiny chip in the PVD coating on its bezel (like a speck of dust), plus a thousand tiny scratches which are only visible when shining a light directly at it. It only has a small PVD-coated area, but it seems to hold up better than the bare titanium.

The PVD coating seems pretty durable. Not as hard as HA-III anodized aluminum, which wouldn’t have the micro-scratches, but not too far behind in terms of overall durability.

Awesome. That is, by far, the best picture I’ve seen of the rainbow finish… and they’re both nicer-looking than the one Olight used in the promo pics. Now I’m tempted to get one. :slight_smile:

Also, Olight and some other stores have an engraving service available. Maybe now is the time to finally get “Carpe Noctem” engraved on a light.

It would go well with my EDC pen and knife:

PVD coating seems ok for small area. I never have any problem with PVD coated bezel on my S1 &S1 ti. I’m more concern the PVD coating on S-mini main body. I’ve a PVD coated pock clip, it wear out just about an month……

Hopefully there are better and worse variations of a PVD coating and Olight has researched enough to use the best one. :slight_smile:

only time will tell! IMO, Heat-coloured titanium is only the best way……

When using heat to color Titanium, it won’t stay. I’ve done a LOT of things with flame and with chemical/electricity and they all revert back to the natural color with use and time. And when handling a colorized Ti product, the oils from the fingers/hands renders the bright colors dull.

I didn’t know that……… :weary:

A quick wipe down with a damp towel removes the body oils and the brilliant colors shine again.

Mostly it’s sort of temporary though, with the caveat that it’s pretty easy to re-do. Kinda neat to re-color the Ti stuff from time to time for different effects.

Thanks for the information! :slight_smile:

It sounds like this rainbow finish is something else, not heat-treated or electrified. So I wonder how it’ll hold up. If it were steel, they’d probably use a titanium nitride coating, the same stuff they put on drill bits to make them last longer. But I’ve never really had much with PVD so I don’t know how it behaves over time.

TK speaks the truth.

Though I have to leave my own input: if you work somewhere with a lot of sand, cement or dirt (like a civil engineering lab), don’t put your light bezel-down on a “contaminated” hard surface. I have an S2 that is my third-newest torch, gotten less than six months ago, and no kidding, it looks like it’s ten years old from how that scratched the bezel’s blue PVD. I’ll post a photo when I can.

My S1, which I’ve had for a bit longer than the S2, only has a spec-sized scratch on its bezel PVD because I didn’t use it there.

Exactly Jack, it’s always about relevancy. In NORMAL use, the coating should fare quite well. Extreme use is, well, extreme.

Anyone got the rose gold version would like to post a pic or two? I’m waiting mine to arrive and I wonder if I should have gone for the rainbow instead of polished :question:

The rose gold version I have sitting here is for my wife’s birthday, 8 days away. Yes, I would have opened it to see this light, but it’s in a sealed plastic wrapped box. So, I have to wait. I had it engraved as well, and am wondering if they engraved it after it was coated or before? There was a wait time, as if it had to be done coming through production, so I’m hoping the coating was applied on top of the engraving so there are no issues. not sure what would be best there.

I agree - that is a good pic. I really struggled under many conditions to get a pic that really does the beauty of this little torch justice. It’s not just multi-coloured, it is weird. In bright light it is gorgeous, with vibrant colours. But I’m sitting here under my relatively dim living room lighting and the colours haven’t been muted, it’s more like they’ve been enriched. It’s an extraordinarily good looking little torch. I put a suggestion forward to Olight that they should sell alternative clips for a cheap price - I think the Rainbow would look splendid with a dull, plain steel clip on it to provide a little contrast.

Anyway, I think everyone should get a Rainbow……

SP

My niece has birthday nex t week so i am looking into a gift. maybe a light or something else

I’m sure she would be very happy if her uncle got her such an awesome little light!!!