Opening up a Crelant 7G9 to access the emitter area

Yes - there is an o-ring below the actual threads, so just above the joint. Didn't think about that - guess a torch could damage it? Other than that, you got the reflector, glass, etc. Don't think the pill area would be affected.

Thanks again.

I’ve been torching it lightly for 30 seconds on and off, and I hear some creaking and cracking noises.

Not sure if that’s good or bad, but I’ll let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

If its ha3 it shouldn’t change colour, ha2 will, and quickly with a decent blow torch on something thin like a bezel. The creaking and cracking is hopefully the glue giving way. Good luck, and try not to keep the heat in one place for too long, also, watch for the surface going dull, its right on the cusp of colour change if that happens, heat off immediately and let it cool. At that point, it’ll remain dull, or you can have a bezel from deep copper, through orange to gold, depending on how hot you get it.

Thanks for the detailed info!

Based on the expended torching, I believe this is indeed HA3 anodizing since it hasn’t changed color.
Perhaps the heatsinking is well done.

I have torched the bezel on and off (and dunked it in ice cold water) for 8 times but as expectantly, it’s impossible to unscrew without a belt wrench.

On a side note, I have baked a Mini Maglite but it took a LOT of heat. (15 minutes on direct stove flame.)

Great job, amazing and nice light, this is Crelant 7G9, but it is said the 7G9 V2 with better efficiency.

Hey Tom E! I finally opened up my 7G9, stripped the stock driver board to form a contact plate and installed a 3.5A driver + dedomed XM-L2 U2 on sinkpad. Im quite happy with the results but might go for more amps later. The reflector plays really well with the dedomed emitter. For a light its size, it throws a spot beam way out there and was definitely worth the mod. They should have sold it this way from the factory and crushed the competition.

Cracking mine open required repeated heating applications to the bezel with a blow torch and several maximum effort tries with a large set of strap wrenches. It would only unscrew a small amount while it was still hot and required constant reheating… such a pain in the ass!

Ouch! I was recently sooo lucky. Got the last TN31 in stock from JOE, first thing I tried to unscrew the battery carrier and noticed the ring above it was turning -- what the? then realized -- no LockTite, they must have missed this one! But yes, the 7G9 was nasty but sounds like you had a worse time than I did, but mine was the first light I attempted to crack open, and mangled the aluminum in a few spots, all cosmetic, but still... I used a heat gun, a cloth-like strap wrench, and a vise. Now I use 2 BOA rubber strap wrench's.

It was you who recommended the boa constrictor wrenches to me. Without them, this light would not have come apart without ripping it into 2 pieces. In fact, the rubber straps took a severe beating and might not last much longer… and I dont see replacements on amazon. Any ideas for replacement straps? :smiley:

No, but if you find them, let me know. I'm thinking it's getting harder and harder to use them, though nothing obvious in wear+tear. Maybe I'm getting older and weaker , it is a freak'n workout...

You’ll be the first to know if I find replacement straps.

Try a dedomed emitter in your 7G9 when you have a chance. I started with a XM-L2 U2 and wasnt satisfied. You’ll be amazed. Im sure you have your methods but all that soaking is a waste of time. Just heat the emitter to the point of reflow, let cool for 5 seconds then immediately pluck the dome off with your fingernail. Just push to the side, not upward. 100% perfect & complete dedome every time.

I saw them on ebay

Hhhmm, interesting de-dome technique. Gotta experiment first on T6's. Yes, at this point with all the de-doming, seems a perfect match for a thrower like the 7G9. I just am surrounded by projects can't get time to do...

Here’s one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boa-Monster-Strap-For-Boa-Wrench-275mm-Wrench-Strap-/310706967273?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item48579412e9

Were they in the UK? If so, with shipping far exceeds the price of a complete new strap wrench.

Yep… just saw they are in the UK. Sorry :frowning:

No worries. Thanks for stopping by.