P60 dropins - what dropin is your best thrower?

The angle of the emitter also matters right?

Here is a comparison from the datasheet of each one of the most used CREE: The XR-E reaches up to 120°, and the XP-G and XM-L near 180°

The beam angle of the emitter means that XP-G and XM-L are a little more efficient in reflectors than in an aspheric but that’s about it.
They all throw better in an aspheric than in a reflector if that’s all one is interested in. However more output is lost by using an aspheric than is lost by a XR-E in an aspheric.

R2 drop ins from dino direct are cheap ithink they are less than 4$ after discounts

I know you can’t beat an XRE R2 in throw but I mostly like the smooth reflector plus XPG or an orange peel reflector plus XRE or XPE for the best usability. I have seen some different made reflectors though with different curves I guess. Some seems to focus better and give a more usable beam even with an XML.
Anyway, I know I’m not on the topic but I’d also like to ask if there are special made drop ins with better reflectors in terms of throw or balanced, smooth beam. I know Thrunite and Lumens Factory have some drop ins but haven’t seen one in person yet.

I want to buy a XR-E R2 P60, but I don't want to use aspheric lens, so I would like to use a smooth reflector, is it a good idea for some throw? (I don't care about spill), Does anybody have any idea of how many meters could it throw?

If you search online you might be able to find the lux numbers for some P60 sized lights with reflectors. If so you could figure out throw from that.
I’m guessing you might get 10kcd from a well driven XR-E with a smooth reflector. If so that would give you .25 lux at 200 meters.
I think I’ve done the math correctly on that.

Well put FX-32. That is what I should´ve said! LOL

Link Please

Joel

Thank you very much for the info gcbryan, it helps me a lot!

It's really obvious when you can take a light with each and compare. I have two P60 hosts, one with the XM-L and another with the XR-E R2. I had used the XR-E for about 2 years and was very happy with the light output from this, but through the DD $5 buy, was able to get another P60 host, and decided to install a XM-L dropin. The sheer amount of light from the XM-L was astounding, but when you shine a spot on the wall, or take them outside to illuminate distant objects, the superior throw of the XR-E emitter immediately becomes obvious. Although MUCH less light is emitted, it still thows much further due to the tighter focus and surface brightness. Having two essentially identical lights with different emitters does an excellent job of demonstrating how more lumens does not equal better throw.

Well, an XM-L is superior if you manage a refelctor to collimate the beam. Very similar in output than a X-RE but with a larger hotspot. In a p60 host it aint gonna happen anyway.

For throw the only way a XR-E is superior is if you can handle a large enough diameter reflector to get the level of throw you desire and if you desire a larger hotspot.
The XR-E will always throw even further in that same larger diameter reflector but once you get to same distance for throw going further may not be of any utility for you but a larger hotspot might be.
It depends on what you are using the light for however as well as on your concern for battery conservation.

Throw is ONLY based on surface brightness and ratio of reflector to die size.

For the same size reflector, an XM-L cannot throw further than a properly-driven XR-E or XP-C. Period.

With a P60 reflector I think the same way, but could it change if we use a deeper reflector like the HS-801/802 USD168? In this reflector will the XR-E throw better than a XM-L?

The deeper reflector will affect spill intensity, but for the same sized diameter reflector, a maxed-out XR-E will throw further than a maxed XM-L

As gcbryan posted, it may not be as useful a beam, but it will put a dollop of light out further.

I can't tell you how many times I've read this across multiple forums. I've made 2 versions of a 52mm Aspheric Mag Mod (same body but started with the XR-E then converted it over to XM-L. The first was a direct drive 1.5A (1x18650) XR-E R2. The second was a 4.5A (4xEneloop) XM-L T6. The XM-L absolutely obliterates the XR-E when it's overdriven. I can't push the XR-E past 1.7A because it turns blue. The XM-L I can push to about 5.5A but the whole light gets too hot to hold and the batteries go into melt-down mode...

At 1.5A the XR-E produced a beam that was moderately visible at night. At 4.5A, the XM-L beam looks like a laser coming out of the light...

How did you manage to limit current in DD to keep the XR-E at 1.5A and not go to 1.7A+?

It doesn’t sound like you did a very good job with the XR-E if it was only “moderately” visible at night and the larger die XM-L looked like a laser?
Do you have readings from a light meter? You’re basically arguing against physics as stated.

Anybody know a source for dropin driverboard springs?

Need longer ones than in standard 105C driver...

edit: and just the minute I ask, I find them: http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/flashlight-diy-component-silver-spring-10pcspack-p-6087

Thanks for bearing...

I understand it cannot throw farther... all i was pointing out is that an XM-L can come close while having a bigger hotspot at that. Some don't like pencil sized beams.

For absolute range i would go with multiple XM-L's. It makes sense what good is a 50-80cm hotspot at 300m?

Not the best execution but you get the idea. Way too much light wasted...