PackProbe (alpha) for dumping data from laptop packs

Agreed, but, some people seem to go further and take higher voltages as the sign of a good cell/pack, perhaps because its a sign of low self-discharge. I may be overestimating the extent and influence of this thinking, in thinking it was worth presenting evidence against it.

Thanks! I really appreciate the troubleshooting.

Not sure where I got the SoH command from now. I had to do some digging to find the non-standard commands for individual cell/bank voltages, and probably came across that along the way.

I need to sit down and take stock of everything I’ve learned and figure out the best path to future releases. There are some little one-off-fixes I can make, but I think they’d be easier to make and maintain in the long run if I refactored to achieve some other goals too…

next up?
a usb to universal pack interface.
if you have the laptop the packs match one can also use this
bt i got a new as in charged 1 time,never cycled and put in a desk drawer pack from early 2012.
all 3 pairs were at 4.01v.
my neighbor sent his new at the time toshiba laptop in for warranty repair and got it back with a new in box extra pack.sold the laptop and forgot the pack till now.hey can you take this to work and recycle it?
sure!.
those are panasonic cgr18650cg and tested at 2a discharge at 2358mah each ± 5 mah!
they were still around 85% after more than 2 years after a charge and once fully charged were still like new.

Thanks, glad to be here!

I’ve done quite a bit of work with this sort of Li-ion battery fuel gauge stuff (heck, it landed me a trip down to Dallas for a Texas Instruments battery-management seminar back in October!). Granted, the chips I usually work with are single-cell (1S) fuel gauges from Texas Instruments with a less-standard protocol, but many of the things there apply to laptop SBS systems. As an example of this, not too long ago, I wrote software that harnesses a modified PC serial port and can read out batteries that use the HDQ protocol (for example, iPhone batteries).

Given how PackProbe is an open-source project, I can probably contribute some code with regards to, for example, interpreting the Battery Status and Battery Mode commands, something like: