[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

Those 2 are domeless, not de-domed. There is a pretty significant difference.

Getting the specifics correct before starting is the path to a successful launch of a superior product. Being as how this thread is all about a theoretical, and seeing as how we will need to source a manufacturer, why not nail down specifics with a proven manufacturer that excels in the throw business?

But are readily available in any store.

Two sides to every coin. We’re looking at building the ultimate throw monster, not necessarily a cheap budget light with commonly found parts and host components. Certain things have already been done. Certain people here wanted more. The namesake behind all this gave certain specifics, so that is what is trying to be met. There are only a few ways to go about this. Commonly available and cheap don’t really come into play given the dynamics.

Dale, could you PM me the details of Maxtoch?
doesnt hurt getting in contact with them

Write me up on that list!

And hope it’ll reach close to 2k meters! :wink:

Welcome aboard MortyDuck! :wink:

After seeing Maxtoch being put in the mix - I must also second that. They WANT to get lights right that’s what they do.

Another thing I’ve seen bounced around is ‘mod-ability’
Not to sound rude but if this light gets done and it’s the best-it-can-be, with the very best possible throw currently allowable and driven to the max, what could be done to it that would improve performance?
If performance could be improved why isn’t it being implemented in the finished product?
Or am I missing something? :frowning:

Regarding the mod-ability, the emitter choice is really going to be a personal preference. A dedomed XPG2 will give the highest throw, but for some a larger beam is more important even at the expense of a bit less throw.

So true. But shouldn’t the aim be max throw regardless?
Then if modders want a different beam profile, they can swap out?

It would be (in my opinion only) somewhat beside the entire point of this light, to have someone buy it then instantly make it throw further.

I wonder what the limitation is to that thinking, that the de-domed XP-G2 will throw further? It’s only some 1100 lumens, the light runs out at some point regardless of how small the surface area is. Without oomph to push it, what’s the limit to this die?

The TN42, even at 2600 lumens, is still barely making 1/4 lux at a mile. The distance gobbles up light, it’s an inverse square factor where it takes 4 times the light to go twice as far. So, what’s the limit on the lower powered XP-G2?

Not trying to be argumentative, really wondering about this… atmospheric conditions will block the light, humidity robs the throw, dust blocks it, heat diminishes capability, so with all the factors in play against us, regardless which emitter we choose to push to the limit we are still pushing it to the limit. So, I wonder, just what is the limit?

I know Richard and Vinh have gotten some big numbers from the TK61 with an XP-G2 de-domed, but I also know that it comes at the cost of peripheral illumination. For a weapon mount light, that can be a good thing, but when the head of the light exceeds 4” (100 mm) I’m doubtful these types of lights will find their way onto a weapon, so except for a rare circumstance the spot won’t be viewed through magnification. A pencil beam won’t really help most of us in real world use, is what I’m trying to say.

Only my opinion, and of course everybody has one. I am, however, coming at my opinion from the perspective of already having a one mile thrower in hand, and it’s not the first one. A perspective not everybody shares…. (de-domed XM-L2’s have thrown further for me than XP-G2’s, just my own personal experience)

Yeah Dale, can you pm me the Maxtoch details?

Well I would like onr in 2S4P XHP70 config, this would not throw as far but well still want the more floody beam. Others might want anther LED, who knows. It is just nice to be able to.

This is true. I hope this project takes off in to production with a ’42-killing beam. Even if it ends up costing a bit more than expected (what ever that is) I’d get one just for bragging rights :innocent:

They have lots of lights to choose from. They need another thread for that. Us thrower guys have none.

Hi. please could you put me down in the list? I’m interested for 1 unit

At some point real-world performance has to come into consideration too. I understand all the folks calling for the longest throwing light on the market. That sounds awesome. But all those numbers that prove it come from a light meter in a controlled environment. Real-world use is a very different thing.

For example, in my younger years I made a business of building competition car stereos. On a competition weekends we’d trailer our vehicles to the event. They’d perform very well, sometimes even win, then we’d trailer them home. That was awesome (if you’re into that sort of stuff), but on Monday morning I’d be driving a different vehicle to the shop. Because the vehicles we had that performed the best and won the competitions were also basically undriveable. They were awesome special-purpose devices, but they failed at being a car.

So what are we building here? A pencil-beam light saber that’ll peg a meter no matter the cost? Or a mega-thrower that’s awesome and impressive in the real world - an actual usable light? Personally, for me, if the choice is between a super-thin (XP-G2-type?) beam that throws 1000 lumens a mile downfield or a slightly broader (XHP35 HI?) beam that throws 2500 lumens 9/10 of a mile downfield, I know I’d prefer the latter. I own trailer-queen flashlights already. They’re fun, but not very useful.

The point being made by the longest-throw-fans is that for any design that trades throw for more output, there is a ready-made flashlight already, but that pencil-beam 1Mcd thrower does not exist.

About ‘the real world’ : there is a use for every type of flashlight in the real world, it is dependent on the user. In the life that I live, everything throwing over 10kcd is pointless (but very much fun anyway :smiley: ), for others a 1Mcd pencil beam thrower will have a useful real world purpose.

About using light meters: a light that measures high on a meter actually produces more light/throw in the real world as well, science does not lie and often makes it easier to get you on the right track.

About pencil beams that get washed out and do not throw as well as broader beams (like Dale suggested above) : I see no physical reason why that would be the case.

Thank you Djozz.

Everyone has an L6 for every possible flashlight need in this world. And after these new nichias come out with 5000k 90+cri swap will be the main talk of the day. There is such a light. If you want EDC you have that S2+ also. They are relatively inexpensive and extremely good performers. There is the SK98 which is my most used light that has uniform flow and throw, and with a Nichia swap costs under 5$, and has superb driver with direct drive to use with pulls. These are all available in any store. There was one Courui D01 which was good, and still is. But it had to be drilled and moded to remove the electronic switch and a tailswitch inserted, and it had low power driver… We have no Mcd thrower available. We have to make them ourselves from raw iron dug up from the ground, with machining, drilling, and at the end it will look very bad.

That is the point of this thread, to produce something that did not exist until now. There are some spotlights on 12v or rechargeable with good reflectors, but they are under-powered most of the time.

When you are talking about the beam width on an extreme throwers, you have to consider that at 1000m the spot will be very large. Look at the TN42 thread where they hit a newspaper over he lake (i think?). It covers almost 10 meters or more. The L6 will have all the power you need in a light, you already have that in stores, try it, you will not be disappointed. :slight_smile:

Kindest regards, and not trying to argue, but to explain the point,
mdeni

And the last dozen posts are the perfect example of why modability is a primary goal with this light.

You can NEVER please everyone. It is simply not possible.

The best idea is to make the best possible host we can, something that pleases the vast majority of people.

Then when it gets to the technical side of things you select the most universal setup for the factory made light. Something that everyone will be happy with but might not be the best in any particular area.

Then you sell a host version (or make it easily moddable) for those that want specific setups at the cost of other features.

This allows everyone to have their perfect light and to a far larger customer base (and thus larger group buy and hopefully cheaper cost and higher priority on the manufactures to do list).

In a nut shell, if you don’t like what it comes with from the factory, it will be designed to allow you to make it exactly how you want it.

I personally think the XHP35 is the best LED for myself, a neutral tint higher CRI version most likely. Although I would also consider an XHP50 or 70 as well since I kinda doubt that you would be able to actually see the full range of this light with the naked eye anyways.

The beauty of the proposed design is that I can make any of those changes quite easily.

i dont think we will find good old production xp-g2s for this light.so yes XHP35 or dedomed xpl

Agree. And it should be affordable as host. So I suggest chosing the cheaper solution which clearly is a XP-L HI or XP-L HD dedomed (if possible).