[PART 1] Official BLF GT Group Buy thread. Group buy officially closed! Lights shipping.

I have limited programs and skills to make a detailed design.
For a single XPH35 i think there is no need for fins.
But if you want to put a hard driven XPH70 in it, i’m not so sure if it can do without fins.
I would have liked to be able to put more details in the drawing, like knurling, cooling fins / grooves on the part where the switch is, also on the part containing the driver (the pill you could call it) and maybe flat sections on the head against rolling.

I wonder what a battery tube like the Nitecore EA45S would look like if it was sized to fit 26650’s?
That would allow a nice grip and 4S to drive the XHP35-50-70’s.

8x18650 is my favorite. And the poll voted for a plunger, not a box, and if this GT have been made with specs like 4x18650 or in worst case 4x26650….it will be like a “box” type in my head/eyes…
So I hope we stick with the ide of 8x18650. :slight_smile:

My Noctigon is a “fatty” to hold, and I not regonice it as a plunger, more like a round box light…

IMHO I dont think we have too many options as far as the form is concerned. We have design it with one thing in mind- that the manufacturer will not be willing to produce something targeted only at a small group of BLF enthusiasts. It must be competitive enough to make it sell itself, even at the cost of some of our ideas, otherwise no one will produce it.

I think most flashlight junkies have more than enough 18650 batteries. But 26650, is a bit of a rare breath. There aren’t many lights which are working on 4x 26650.

Have you tried any of the 3D programs available in Ubuntu? Blender3D is the most well-known, but there are others. Of course there will be a huge learning curve, but if you can learn GIMP… :crown:

OP updated, this interest list is also going really fast, unexpected for such a niche and expensive light

Unexpected to some :wink: :innocent:

I figured this would be a big hit as there is nothing else like it available that is budget priced and mod friendly. Although even I am surprised with how quickly the list is growing.

Expensive?
Acebeam k70 cost aprox.160usd,are we well above that price?

Awsome project anyway!
And much appreciated forum!! :smiley:

No but well my wife is the expert in comparing and saying a price is so cheap :wink: for me $70-100 is still not a cheap light no matter how much performance we get for the buck :wink:

I was wondering if we could have a stainless steel bezel and tail cap to increase drop resistance, and use as window breaker if needed, would hate to ding it… something like this (Pardon the poor editing skills)

The SS bezel was actually designed already by 5AR, we didn’t know what the cost premium would be for it though so decided to leave it out of the render for the time being. Here is what it looks like though (ignore the rest of the light, it was an earlier prototype):

I do agree! (y) :wink:
B in the BLF.

I see that the debate is about batery tube and type of battery.

I hope that the majority saw that 26650 does not make sense to use in this project.

My opinion is that it does not make sense to go with one short tube 4X18650.

In one tube (4x18650) is the problem of balance here are just some numbers to give you approximate how pointless to go with this variant.

1m3 aluminum =2700kg 1cm3=2.7g

BLF GT x8 Total volume : 342.6342 cm³ 925g plus reflector and electronic and lens

Tailcap 12cm3 = 32g

Tube 60cm3 =162g

Heade 270cm3 = 729g

BLF GT x4 tube 1/2x162g=81g >>>> Heade 729g Tube 81g <<<<<

Most realistic version is 8x18650 one tube

I do not know how you understand cnc processing but some rules must be followed carefully and everything on paper in the real world can not be implemented. Some things can be done but are too expensive.

I make another render.Keep in mind that the head several times heavier than the rest of the flashlight.

It is one thing to have a flashlight in your hand, and something completely different to watch some render and not have a sense of the actual weight distribution.

(((short tube 4X18650 designe looks silly IMO.)))

I am in (pending price). Please add me to the interest list.

I still think that a box design with a handle will be the easiest to handle.

I still 110% agree that the short tube not only looks silly but is almost unusable due to the massive unbalance. It will easily feel as heavy or heavier then the long tube version.

Anyone had a badly balanced weedeater? It is a royal pain to lug around and use. On the other hand a properly balanced weedeater is a joy to use and puts very little strain on your muscles to keep it in the correct location. I can’t think of any more common examples but I can think of a lot more less common ones I have experienced lol.

The end point to my experiences is that balance is more important then total weight by a hefty margin. Having to use odd muscles to keep something where you want it is much much harder then the weight resting on your joints in a neutral state.

Excuse me if I missed it somewhere, but is a colour been decided on yet, of the anodising I mean - or will that not be a choice? I only ask as that Convoy S2+ Desert Tan/Black edition looks very tasty! :wink:
Like anything though……just my opinion. :slight_smile:

Thumbs up!! :smiley:

While colors would be great I kind of doubt that there will be enough demand for custom colors to actually get them made.

So the color will be Black for now.