Patina: Forced or Natural? Commercial or MacGyver Style?

Liquid Ammonia fumes, should give you a dark Brown.

Vinegar fumes, can create Green, on Copper.
Liquid Vinegar, will clean off a Patina on Copper.

The best green patina I got came from plant food (nitrates), but it would rinse off when fresh, and did not last in use

I do not recommend vinegar and salt, it pits the metal and the color washes off easily also

actually, all the patina on my copper lights rubs off with use, and comes back when I dont touch them

Frank Lloyd Wright used urine for copper
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=22270

as did the sculptor Rodin:

For copper alloys, such as bronze, exposure to chlorides leads to green, while sulfur compounds (such as “liver of sulfur”) tend to brown. The basic palette for patinas on copper alloys includes chemicals like ammonium sulfide (blue-black), liver of sulfur (brown-black), cupric nitrate (blue-green) and ferric nitrate (yellow-brown).

the French sculptor Auguste Rodin used to instruct assistants at his studio to urinate over bronzes stored in the outside yard. A patina can be produced on copper by the application of vinegar (acetic acid). This patina is water-soluble and will not last on the outside of a building like a “true” patina

Brand new:

19 Months later no chemicals:

here is another i3e, after a couple of weeks, pic is a link:

Here are some of mine done by just carrying/wearing them.

!

TK16 is starting to patina nicely.
Try to hold it in my hands a lot and I smear stuff i find while doing daily tasks on it now and then (oil, cooking stuf, soap etc).

:heart_eyes: noice , I’ve recently got some copper and brass pipe from kiriba-ru. I got plans for some nice patina like that…

nice dark tarnish in the low spots. I like to polish the highspots for contrast. Simply rubbing my light in my bare hands is sufficient to polish off the tarnish in the high spots.

I find dish soap is an easy way to accelerate tarnish on copper.

Tarnish develops “naturally”, more quickly, in high humidity climates.

Frank Lloyd Wright used Urine to tarnish copper.

also:
“”the French sculptor Auguste Rodin used to instruct assistants at his studio to urinate over bronzes stored in the outside yard.“:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patina”

It has a moonlight mode and currently some nice 3000k nichias. So already a perfect wee light. Ill think about it tonight…

I can hardly wait to see your PeeTina… LOL

Awesome. Looking forward to your next mod.

I’m starting to regret I didn’t get the CU version instead of the Alu one :cry:

It looks pretty good :heart_eyes:

BTW, which emitters did yours have initially?
Mine are the Osram but…I am thinking about modding the light :person_facepalming:

It’s is a great light almost feels as a custom. It had the sst-20s which were ok, but pretty much all my lights are 3000k now. And the warmer tint suits the copper better also.

Oh sure, arrived just in time for this year’s contest. I see how it is.

At least I know I won’t be in the machine-made category, so I hopefully won’t have to compete with you :stuck_out_tongue:

natural sweat (2 days old)

Lol, fear not young padawan. It looks like I’ll be organiser for this year so i’ll be ineligible to enter. Feel free to enter machine made… in fact beware the hand made category - ever heard of player ‘CRX’ :open_mouth:

Does anyone have pictures/experience using liver of sulfur on copper flashlights?

Thanks for your reply Geuzzz! Well, it looks like a custom too :wink:

Hum, ok, I thought you might have the Osrams…Maybe it could encourage me to make the change :smiley:
Well, the look of the Nichias looks great for the picture on the other thread!

BTW, I miss a deep carry clip on this light :cry:

google says
“Liver of sulfur is mainly used in metalworking to form a brown or black patina on copper”

this link has a lot of great pictures
of the colors produced by Liver of Sulfur in combination with other things including vinegar and ammonia.

pic is a link