Paypal increases protection window to 180 days

I wanted them to extend it to 90 days so this is great for buyers, i think its bad for sellers in some ways, but 45 days was not enough, if your package arrives in 50 days you would not know it and had to risk it not showing up, or disputes about wrong item or replacements now have time to be taken care of and the buyer is still protected (i had to return two lights to fasttech, they showed up in 15 days, but there was no way i could send my lights back, and get the replacements in under 45 days total.
In my case it worked out, but if they were dishonest they could have kept the returns sent nothing and i would have been SOL

90 days would have been fine. 180 is overkill.

Yeah, I see this being abused and ultimately hurting sellers and buyers.

Its for Paypal, not for buyers or sellers. They have to deal with less claims this way since more will be resolved before they actually have to do something, and upset people will tend to calm down or forget about it in 6 months.

They have not met the fine fellows at BLF! :wink:

I think it’s good because I hate ending up with items after 45 days AND getting refund. However, I have had cases where sellers dishonestly didnot ship items when specifying free shipping (I live in the middle of nowhere and shipping costs is a killer). Ultimately, I had to get my money through either emailing the seller (most of the times) or sometimes through paypal. 180 days is a bit too much though in this kind of instance :smiley:

Most (if not all) of us like to keep the funds in pp for atleast 45 days before considering them “safe to spend” if you sold something that is , and this is exactly what the companies tend to exploit and take advantage of, paypal will now indirectly keep 6months worth of sales instead of previously 1.5m which totally makes sense (for them).

Pretty sure they do this to compete with Alipay, where protection can be extended several times with both parties consent. This made surface shipment possible for batteries (around 60-90 days).

But 180 days is a bit over the top IMO. I sure don’t want to wait that long for everything. :slight_smile: 90 days is plenty. 180 days? Do you even remember what you bought 6 months back?

^my point exactly, imo the addition of “extend protection with consent from both parties” much like aliexpress , Could have been a much better alternative to 6 months worth pita protection esp for sellers.

I will continue to file disputes for anything that doesn’t arrive within 45 days.

The period is not an amount of days that must pass before you make a claim is it? Its the amount of time within which you can make a claim. Im not sure how it effects the time until you get settlement but at least you would still get settlement. But I would have thought 60 days was ample for non delivery/DOA etc. So does this in a sense, provides you with some leverage and a 6 month pseudo local guarantee, or does it only cover non delivery or not as described as the snippet suggests?

I am a seller on ebay and I have sensed some confusion in the remarks left here. The new policy doesn’t mean that the seller can take up to 180 days to ship. This new policy takes affect Nov. 18. As it is now, the buyer has 45 days to file a complaint and that was too long. Here is how this works. When I sell something, I have to send it within 2 business days. That is stated on my listings. I then post the tracking number and the buyer knows when it should arrive and they know I sent it. After they receive it, they have 45 days to complain that it isn’t “as described”. All they have to do is state that it showed up with a very small scratch that didn’t show up on the pictures on the listing and you have to give them their money back. Never mind that they dropped it and damaged it themselves. That is why you always ask for pictures and if the claim shipping damage, they have to show you the package for damage claims. Here is another problem, send a music cd that is perfect condition, they copy it, put a tiny scratch on it and you have to give them their money back including shipping. Do you think this means that the seller can take 180 days to ship? It means that the buyer can use this item for 179 days and then claim that is isn’t what was described in the listing. There are a lot of posts online from sellers who have been ripped off by this. All the buyer has to do is claim that it isn’t exactly the shade of blue they saw in the picture and you find yourself losing a lot of money on the deal. How would you feel if someone bought a microphone from you, used it for 6 months and opened a claim that it sounds distorted. Never mind the fact they took it on tour and it got dropped and thrown into boxes. You are witnessing the end of paypal and ebay. People won’t go along with this. I’m not. I ’m closing my account right away.

I just stumble across this thread and know about the change. Could be a good or bad thing to either party, it finally comes down to how honest both parties are. Remember, we are thousand miles away from each other.

Lol, this got me laughing real hard! :bigsmile:

Hi Mr. Robert, welcome on board. :slight_smile:

Yes you will ship your items within 2 business days as you described, but that doesn’t mean every online sellers are as trustworthy or efficient as you. I have experience with online sellers from China that after I placed my order and transferred the money they only told me that ‘Sorry, this is out of stock and you have to wait’. So if the sellers are dishonest, or simply having poor management on their part and take up to 50 days to get your item shipped, what can you do? You are correct on the part that this is not the intention of Paypal by extending the dispute filing period, but who knows if the seller utilize this policy to their advantage? We are not saying that every seller is like that but we did experience this before that it took them forever to ship out items. This is why I said it all comes down to how trustworthy both parties are. :beer:

I understand your position. I don’t deal with sellers from China who can offer lithium batteries for 1 cent and free shipping. Using that as an example, there are other items that sell for $4 and free shipping from China, such as a MIDI to USB converter cable. There is something fishy about these outfits and they have a ton of negative feedback. Sellers like myself (I have 534 transactions @ 100% positive feedback) are still caught up in the new policy and there are quite a few like me that have been taken. There are a lot of blogs online about this. Sellers are now placing custom stickers between the 2 halves of the casing, as an example, a keyboard and photographing the serial number. I understand that there are unscrupulous sellers and I could never figure out why ebay keeps them after receiving tons of negative feedback and low ratings. I had a guy from Florida, send me an email about selling replacement keys for synthesizers and when I wouldn’t cheat on the shipping, he sent me the most horrible messages with the most profane language and even accused me of running a chop shop and fencing the parts through ebay. I forwarded them to ebay (he even used their message system to harass me. He is still on ebay. I am saying good riddance to them. They are no longer a viable outlet for what I want to sell which is soundtrack sound files of my own making. There is no market for it on ebay.
There is also talk about ebay wanting to get rid of the mom and pop sellers, the people who are cleaning their basements, garages and attics. It used to be the worlds biggest yard sale but now they cater to the big outlets. Can you say Alibaba?

Only one winner here PAYPAL