Pink new 2600 Samsung 18650s for $2 each, free postage!

I had a China dealer do this to me on some cheap 14500 lights. I emailed him through epay and chewed him out.
This is what I wrote;
Dear ._,

Why can I not buy more items from you?
Seems crazy that you do not want more sales from me. When bidding it says Not allowed due to buying 2 or more items in last 10 days?

Not good.
If this is true, I will have to tell many people about you.
Please advise,
Thanks,
Keith

His response;
what you mean ,? this is my set for all of the buyer because all of this lose money for sell and to rescue my account so i set this to reduce my cost ,so please understand me any send 2 item for one buyer , i hope you can understand me ,donot leave me any neutral and negative feedback for this ,thank you anything tell me more i will try to satify you ,if you want more item tell me and i will give you the best price thank you

Me back;

I am sorry, I do not know what you mean.
If I buy 2 items at once, I save you money by only having to ship one package.
I have not received first order, so I do not even know quality yet. I was just trying to take a chance hoping that they are good and order more from you just now and was rejected.
It will not be bad feedback from me left on here, I am a member of popular flashlight forums.
Does not seem like good business policy to limit customer.
You have many goods to sell, correct?

Anyway, thanks for quick response,
Keith

His final response;

yes most of the flashlight i have ,and if the account come batter i will reset the request for buyer and then you can buy more ,if you want to buy more or other you like if can you also tell me and i will give you the best price thank you ,best regards

In the end the lights came and did not have Cree emitters, so the output sucked and he did me a favor by limiting my purchases. Up until that point I did not know this limit could be imposed.
My guess is it was put into place to keep someone from cleaning them out fast and then reselling at a higher price?

I don’t know but it still seems like bad business.

Sorry for the long read.
Keith

Let’s say you have a ebay store and you want to do a promotion by selling one or two products really really cheap, even with a small loss (this loss is a cost of promoting your store) it is in your interest to have many buyers so they would “spread the word”. If only one customer buys all stock it is likely that he is going to resell them with higher price for profit and, of course he won’t tell to anyone how much he paid or where did he get them…

I also hit the single item in 10 days limit. I’ve tried to add two from the same listing and from different listings. I tried placing an order and then a second order, all no go. The good news is that the one I ordered arrived today, ahead of schedule.

The bad news is that I miscalculated my strategy and execution to get the case off. As a result, three of the batteries have one or more ~1-2mm dents. I assume this is a risk-factor for a short. Two of the remaining three have gouges in the wrap.

I’ve written the seller to see if there is any way to order another pack or two without waiting another 6 days. Grumble grumble.

For what it worth, my pack was assembled in China. I didn’t see a note of where the cells were made, but it has the same Samsung pink 2600 mAh cells others reported. I checked the voltages with a multimeter. 2x2.3v 2x2.5v 2x2.7v (not entirely surprising, since they are paired up).

These are called 'outside retaining ring pliers'.

Squeeze the handles and the tips expand.

Sometimes they are inaccurately called 'snap ring pliers', but that name also gets applied (also inaccurately) to circlip pliers.

They work great for opening laptop packs. Make a small gap with a pocket screwdriver, slip the tips of the pliers into the gap and squeeze. Much better and safer than using a screwdriver like a chisel and stabbing inward toward the cells, or a cutoff wheel where things can go wrong too fast for you to know when to stop.

What are snap ring pliers, then, Comfychair? I’ve always heard those referred to as snap ring pliers.

Those have round pins on the tips, to fit in the holes. Can be either internal, external, or some pliers are convertible, by moving the hinge pin to a different hole.

Retaining ring is a square cross section thing, and fits over the OD of a shaft. The pliers have curved or angled serrated jaws to grab the ends of the ring to expand it so it can be removed from the groove on the shaft it normally sits in. Most often used inside automotive transmissions (both manual & auto).

Circlip pliers, even if they're the kind that expand when squeezed, aren't what you want for this. The usually round shape of their tips will tear and split the plastic, instead of gripping and spreading to break the glue/bond between the case halves.

edit: If you search for 'snap ring pliers' you'll get page after page after page of circlip pliers. Search for 'retaining ring pliers' instead.

Thank you comfychair, I never thought of using my ORR pliers

I heard back from the seller that I should be able to go ahead and order additional packs without waiting the full 10 days. Two more have been shipped my way. I’ll have to find a better way to open the packs than last time…

Took me maybe 10 minutes with side cutters and pliers. The only cut I got was when I was cleaning up. Oh that reminds me, time to change over the batteries in the charger.

I got one of these packs and they contained 6 Samsung ICR18650-26C batteries. Voltage as pulled ranged from 2.35v to 2.45v.

I charged them using 4 different chargers to speed things up and discharged them using an Accucel 6 at 1A 2 days after charging.

cell 1: 4.199v, capacity of 2611mAh
cell 2: 4.201v, capacity of 2579mAh
cell 3: 4.186v, capacity of 2545mAh
cell 4: 4.186v, capacity of 2543mAh
cell 5: 4.184v, capacity of 2545mAh
cell 6: 4.189v, capacity of 2539mAh

I also measured the resistance of each battery and they ranged from 123mOhm to 133mOhm.

I have another of these Acer packs coming in but it seems to me that used packs are hardly worth the effort to take apart. I have 24 batteries pulled from used ones and 10 have a capacity < 500mAh with the rest varying up to 1500mAh (most around 1000mAh).

YMMV

How long did the batteries sit idle…sometimes it takes a few charge/discharge cycles to perk em back up (as long as they aren’t at the end of their recharge cycles that is)

Just harvested my first pack—a Lenovo.
It was rather flimsy, and not hard to open at all.
Inside were 9 grey NCR’s with black vertical stripes at the positive end.
The physical harvest was simple.

The tough part for me now is reading up threads about
charging, discharge tests, and watching voltage drain, etc;
then Collating “Best Practices” to where I feel that I am
using safe procedures.

The Acer Samsung’s were sitting around for 3 - 4 days after charging before I had time to discharge them. I’ll discharge a couple this weekend to see if the results different. But if you’re asking about the used laptop batteries I’ve charged/discharged 5 or 6 of them 3 or 4 times already and the capacity hasn’t varies much. I’ve come to the conclusion that used packs are rarely a good deal and not worth my effort to find the few good batteries in them.

I just discharged a fully charged lightly used Sanyo UR18650FM that has a 2012 date code and it came out at 2371mAh. So already these Samsung’s are looking like a good deal.

I should be getting a second pack in this week and will hopefully get similar results.

45$ shipping, oh my….

The 9 Samsung cells I’ve charged up and tested from these Acer packs have produced very similar numbers for capacity and resistance, according to my BT-C3100

pack, $12 Samsung 2600, on the way. The Samsung and my 2004!!–2008 Sony pulls rock.

These are NOS packs and will never waste time with used packs which can deplete life an average of 6% a year, as the very laptop I’m typing on. My older Gateway 6831XF sucked 20% out first year with much deeper recharge cycles.

I see that there are a lot of better analyzing chargers being used. We should add (1) 3A discharge test for those of us using single cell lights with 3 amp Qlite drivers. This will be the shared current on my 4 led SRK using the 11.2 amp BLF driver. The old Sonys have a 4 amp max discharge but voltage sag around 3.5-3.6 volt from, fresh charge. The newer(?) Samsung do a bit better but have not found spec sheet for the 26C battery. My IR average 112 to 118 so a high discharge battery should be way lower. My 25C liPo average 2-6 mOhm per cell.

Also might want to use the other thread to report battery testing.

and found date code for pack manufacture date: 8-20-2009. Check for white sticker inside shell. 2009 also on protection board.

All were out the box @ 2.5vdc and all 6 now charging around .400ma. All new, old stock.

Is this the right one to buy? It seems like there are multiple listings coming up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Battery-6-cell-5200mAh-Acer-Aspire-One-751-Bk23-751-Bk23F-751-Bk26-NEW-OEM-/141221624860?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item20e176fc1c

I got 2 packs from this seller and all tested from 2511mAh to 2615mAh after charging.

Perfect. I’ll be using these in a diy battery power bank.