Pistol lights $$$ what the heck?

Yeah.

For a light to be so expensive and worth it, it better be absolutely overengineered.

I mean, if Surefire lights:

1. Used BeCu springs for maximum shock absorption and conductivity.
  2. Used potting on every ones of their lights.
  3. Used a titanium aluminium alloy for maximum durability.
  4. Actually had constant brightness over the whole runtime.
  5. Used acrylic lenses to prevent breakage.
  6. Had silver plated aluminium reflectors.
  7. Used top of the line LEDs for maximum efficiency, along with top tier MCPCBs and driver components.

Then I would 100% believe it.

And someone’d still complain: “It doesn’t come in {5000K|NW|90CRI}??”. :stuck_out_tongue:

What have you used that is good? I am not sure they are worth the extra money either. No you don’t always get what you pay for, that is for sure. I just bought one (Surefire) liked it, they kept working so I never changed brands. I almost got a Streamlight one time but didn’t.

If Elzetta made a pistol light, it would probably be the best one out there, I don’t see it happening though.

Yes, I would prefer a 4732K Emitter please. :smiley:

CREEXHP70LED

The answer to that question will get me into trouble. I’m not even sure if I’m completely sold on “pistol lights” for home defense, if by pistol light you mean pistol mounted light. If you are relying on a pistol mounted light in order to identify a threat, you could find yourself pointing a gun at a member of your family. I’m sure you know the laser rule (talk about gambling). I’m not even sure I like the idea of the local cop doing that, when responding to my 911 call. And I have been trained and have used them myself.

I remember responding to a bank robbery with my K9 many years ago. I saw way to many cops using their weapons for light.

My first light mounted on my pistol was attached to the mag, I forget who made it, that should tell you how far back I go.

First rule in handling a firearm……
NEVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING YOU DON’T INTEND TO DESTROY.
I believe the statement above from deputy dog has given me a very good reason to rethink this weapons light thing.
I was just thinking of the light and not the fact of what it was attached to .
(Duh to me) senior moment,
if you know what I mean.
Thanks Deputy dog :slight_smile:

I believe bouncing the light off the floor would be the best way.

Yes, I agree. That is why I stated earlier I have two guns beside me at night, and the pistol does not have a light on it but a light beside it. The AR-15 has a light on it.

De-coupling a pistol from a light is wise. There are certain reasons why you want a WML and a rifle over a handgun and vice versa. Most people believe that a 5.56 rifle round traveling 3000 FPS will go through drywall and other materials and over penetrate through walls which is not good inside a house more than a pistol round. However, this is simply wrong. A 9mm and in general all handgun defensive sized rounds will penetrate more drywall and other materials than a 5.56 rifle round will. Just something to keep in mind. If however, I know for a fact that 4 thugs just kicked my door in and a home invasion is happening. I am not de-coupling, I am going WML on a rifle, which is much more lethal than a handgun, much easier to shoot accurately, much higher capacity, and with less penetration. I will post up at my already known fatal funnels that have cover and concealment and wait.

In short, if you never thought far enough into it that a WML means your pointing a weapon at someone, I would highly recommend not using a WML and just use a good flashlight.

I have given my .02 here on this topic…I digress and move on. :slight_smile: :beer:

Please don’t think that there isn’t a time and place FOR a pistol mounted light (SWAT maybe). But home defense… not so much.

A bit off topic but I’m going to say that a pistol mounted light is the way to go. Or better yet a pistol caliber carbine. Less noise, less flash, less penetration, and more power with proper loads. Now as my old firearms trainer would say “Keep those booger hooks off the boom button until ready to fire.” Now some will say this violates firearm safety by pointing a loaded weapon at some one. Lets look at the viable options. Turn on the room lights with a gun in only one hand. Use a flashlight in one hand and the firearm in the other. Floor bounce the weapon light to light up targets. Use as mounted to properly light up and identify your target. Use no light and guess if it’s the right target. If truly in a potential lethal use of force situation some range rules do not apply. Determined resistance will stop far more aggressors without firing a shot.

What is needed is proper target identification and lots of training. I shoot about 500 round monthly and help teach younger officers/deputies how to shoot. Legal issues are taught by the academy. What a firearm owner needs to do is practice, practice and practice. Like any other tool if never used no skills are developed. Imagine buying a plane with no training and then trying to fly first time in a storm at night to get your pregnant wife to a hospital. Yet a few gun owners who intend to protect his castle with it have zero trigger time. It’s a tool, learn the skill to use. Know things like room clearing, use of cover and how to cut the pie.

Should you ever have to fire that weapon in anger, call 911 and ask for an ambulance and police. Get on the ambulance, you don’t feel well as you just shot someone. While in the ambulance call your lawyer to meet you at the hospital. You may feel like your having a heart attack, your blood pressure and heart rate will be through the roof. Your Adrenalin will be gone by now as it’s half-life is only 2 minutes. You’re going to be jacked up and exhausted at the same time. Not the time to make statements. Your brain will need about 24 hours to really sort out what just happened. Many agencies will not get officer statements in lethal force before 24 hours have passed.

And you’ll just gripe about expensive pistol lights.

Thanks for your knowledge and experience Texas shooter.
And also as mentioned above there is a time and place for a wml.
Just not for me, I’ll stick with flashlight in one hand pistol in the other. And keep practicing practicing practicing

You see, that’s the problem. “If truly in a potential lethal use of force situation some range rules do not apply.” When there is a bump in the night, it’s not necessarily a lethal force situation.

500 rounds a month is a lot of shooting. Many if not most police departments don’t do that in a year, let alone every month with any sort of light. You’re right. “What is needed is proper target identification and lots of training.”

Hey gang, I really appreciate all of the input and comments. For myself I think I’m going to stick with a flashlight in one hand and my pistol in the other.

I have some hand held remote radio controllers that the capacitors used to break loose. A dab of silicone under them between the legs took care of that. The rest of the lower components withstood drops without modification.

500 rounds a month is a ton of range time.

I laugh every time some one says well police are trained for it… Well truthfully no, no they are not. I know of a couple of departments that had a 50-80 rounds qualification that was needed every 2-3 years. It really is sad how little firearms training that the LEOs get, and still carry a firearm every day.

Very true. You’ll need to make that decision in the span of a few seconds.

I shot competitively when younger, I’m slower now but still fairly accurate without my readers on. I prefer teaching and practice with revolvers. That lets you do 5-7 shots then you examine what you did and reload. .22’s are still the preferred practice with .38’s and mid range .357’s.

My agency does two 50 round qualifier courses a year, one day one night. We went to mounted lights and greatly increased night scores and time. Most people can’t aim a handgun and a flashlight at the same time. Please try before you incorporate this method. Point shooting is really going to help here. Big secret in point shooting is that both thumbs are pointing along the frame forward. With a mounted and zeroed light that hot spot is where the bullets are going. It’s kind of like projected sights.

Now if you can’t target identify with your weapon light because you still find it too risky. Then use that flashlight in one hand and pistol light “on” but pointed down in the other.

A couple of dogs will help sort friend from foe.

True most of the time. In the U.S.A. each state sets its annual qualification standard. Every state you have to qualify at least once annually. Texas is 50 rounds at 3-15 yards timed yearly.

I have thought, for quite some time, that there should be a yearly qualification for CCW holders. In those states where you can actually receive one without your brother being the Governor. I didn’t want to see it as a way to weed out terrible shooters or irresponsible people but, to encourage those who have a CCW to remain proficient with them, for everyones benefit. I know way to many people, personally, that do whats required to get that certificate, carry their weapon of choice everyday, and that’s it. They think no other training or knowledge is needed. It’s sad really.

I try to take one training class a year. I am not perfect at keeping with that schedule but, for the most part I have been fairly successful. It’s not really all that cost prohibitive if you consider how much you have spent up until now.

I am sure the NRA would tar and feather me for that idea. I still pay my dues though. I don’t want Charlton Hestons ghost to haunt me. :wink: