Portable battery-powered fan?

I just discovered my 7.5” Comlife fan was only charging/running on one battery. I removed the back cover and discovered one of the tabs on the positive end wasn’t soldered to the circuit board. It’s now fixed.

Thank you for the detailed response! I order one.

Hi Glenn, let us know how you like the fan. I’m curious if there are any vibration noise that come from the wire metal grill. Also, does it seem stable on a table or does it tend to want to “walk” from any vibration. Thanks buddy!

Hi Richie, I’m liking it a lot. The grill is solid and doesn’t make any noise. There is very little vibration coupled with the hard rubber feet the fan doesn’t walk. My only 2 complaints are the feet need to be glued in place, otherwise they easily slide around on the wire frame. Plus the fact I had to solder a connection they forgot to from the battery holder to the circuit board.

Glenn

Good eye to have caught that one cell holder wasn’t soldered. I’ve put the fan in my Amazon favorites for future reference. Thank you Glenn.

Richie, the reason I found out is I put a brand new set of Samsung 30Q’s in. I wanted to check the charged voltage. One battery measured 4.18 volts. I was so happy the the charging circuit wasn’t overcharging. Then I checked the other one. It measured 3.8 volts! I said something isn’t kosher here. I know the batteries are wired in parallel so I took one battery out, the fan still worked. So I put it in the other slot, it didn’t work. So I did the repair and everything is cool now.
I’m a freaking genius sometimes… LOL!

Nice catch and fix, Glenn!

I just checked mine - the cells were around 4.16V about 5-10 minutes after being removed from charger.

That’s great Pete! One thing I noticed even after the repair, there was still no continuity between the two positive battery slots. But the repair did work. Maybe there’s a balancing circuit between the two batteries?

BTW, I measured 4.18 volts seconds after the blue light came on.

Now you both need to check for parasitic drain. Charge them up, measure them, note the date, reinstall them and then let the fan site for a week, or two, if that’s practical and remeasure!

Good luck.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will. But I think there will be none since it has an non-electronic on/off switch. I’ll check it anyway.

Tape a Tomo to the frame? :smiley:

Is it a big no-no to use cells that somewhat vary in capacity in this COMLIFE fan?

The two 18650GA cells I received and was planning to use in this fan have capacities of 3292 and 3383 mAh, respectively (measured on Lii-500). That’s about 3% difference, which I would think would be small enough to not matter much.

They seem to be set up in parallel, so we have more wiggle room, but you should run some tests while you use the fan, just to ‘know’ what’s going on. If you have a volt meter, that’s a good start. You should have a DMM when playing with rechargeable batteries/cells, anyhow.

Now, if they were running in series (end to end), then that would require closer matching.

Chris