preheat/reflow hotplate - wtb - suggestions

I bought this hotplate After best offer-counter-counter-counter –10 from listed price. :disguised_face: Expected ups delivery 12/18. :neutral_face:

This is going to be a very expensive purchase

That looks like the one I bought off Amazon with Prime $85 ( Works Great) — unfortunately they have gotten very proud of them on Amazon

well…. you spent an extra $45

I have this one, works great!
it costs less than $40

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000086334114.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.94041f1dW0uJ1e

I received the item just 19 days after I placed the order… (I bought the model for 110v)

Yeah but I’m not into all the waiting —then if you have an issue it’s a whole other can of worms —- with prime no issues ever— just stupid I guess :laughing:

I understand :wink:

getting the item in 2-5 days, instead of 19 days,

and being able to return it, means

I can choose to pay double

to the USA based reseller using Amazon.

…and make Jeff Bezos wealthier. But I do understand the attraction to Amazon. I do buy there at times too but look for alternatives which are sometimes hard to find without paying higher prices.

I’m at the stage of my life where I buy what I want ( retired ) —— with well over 300 lights—parts to build 50 others that might never get used and a garage full of equipment —- $40 isn’t a big deal — yes I play the game of getting deals —group buys—Vipon —etc —— you ever have to get a big item replaced from China — No fun—Haiklite wore me out with the ridiculous group buy fiasco a couple years ago— 15 emails later I finally got my replacement drivers

Mine just arrived today, not had chance to check temperature calibration yet but i will as i happen to have a high end Fluke industrial IR meter & share results

Quick question on using it ,

is it better to let the DTP & pasted emitter sit on the plate as it slowly comes up to temperature reducing thermal shock but exposing it to much longer heat

OR

is it better to place your DTP and pasted emitter onto a preheated plate and remove it as soon as its flowed and excess is removed more thermal shock but far less exposure to high heat and well under the 30 second guidelines

I have read arguments for both methods…., my hunch is the latter

Also what do you guys prefer to use 63/37 low melt PB or Indium?

I’m curious about this too

Please excuse the state of my work bench , meter is a Fluke 561 pro, which i believe to be fairly accurate as its specifically designed to work on this kind of stuff, i’ve allowed the hotplate to sit for 20 mins set at 230C

Unit reading 230C

Fluke Says 212C

Direct test read 215C

For 30 bucks that is close enough for me!

yes and yes

and thanks for the temperature check
I set mine to 200C and it works great