Preview: Pre-release sample of the new FLEXcandles Asgard!!

They should be the updated production models. They would not have shipped the beta versions that they sent the reviewers.

I take that back. I forgot that the offer was made for those to opt out of the wait for the refined release and get the "as-is" version shipped early if they could not wait. You guys may be getting these. Hope you all realize this.

shipped here too 8)

Fasttech never said anything about getting “as-is” versions.

Is that what the “founders edition” was all about? :open_mouth:

I do not recall seeing a notice when I ordered. In any case, I would expect to receive an updated driver with it or eventually. I would be dissappointed if it was left as a beta driver after paying for it, while the free review samples got updates.

I dont care, I want to play before I fire off a pm to jasmine about drivers, out of interest johnny, whats the diameter of the driver it look to me to be 20mm + but I’m not sure, it also looks like it needs to hide behind a contact board but again I don’t mind, it’d be good to use one in my zy-t08 as the drive behind a copper based mod and to try and figure out the way the chips are addressed.

I will be taking it apart tonight to clean flux off of the MCU to hopefully resolve issues I was having with my original driver. I will measure it for you then.

As for the lights getting shipped, all I recall is Fasttech saying that they wanted to wait until the reviewers gave the new drivers the green light before going out for delivery, even if it meant delaying release for a week or two. I also recall her saying something about shipping out early to those who don't want to wait that long. At this point I would recommend taking what I said about shipped versions until Jasmine has had the opportunity to elaborate on exactly what the deal is. I am simply surprised that any have shipped because the last I heard it would still be a week or two before they did.

that’s my thought too, I understand that its better to delay and send out a finished product, I’ll see what arrives and go from there, I’m not worried as jasmine dealt with my only other issue with a product brilliantly and I’m sure that if there is any issue, the same will happen again.

In some respects a delay would have helped because mrs gords is going to kill me, in other respects, I’m more than a little excited to have a play.

If the hardware is pretty sorted, surely most issues will arise from the software which can just be updated like todays update (which I may delete to get back some of the advanced options I wanted to play with).

Definitely want one - but I'll wait for debugging.

Funny how my light buying habit seems to regard "budget" as a rather larger number than it once did. And inflation does not account for the increase.

Not that I'm in the market for a Surefire any time ever. Or just about anything made of titanium.

Can't remember what I paid for my SRK but suspect it was like twice what you can now get one for.

you should be able to have a play with one in a month or so don, I’ll definitely be packing this one for the lakes trip.

I know what you mean about budget, it took a while to get over $25 per light, I didn’t blink at ordering this one or a few other expensive builds.

Mine is also marked as shipped, will wait and see

Just to clarify. There were some as-is e-mail sent earlier but we’ve decided that it’s quite stable now so if you haven’t got an e-mail and your order is shipped, then it it’s not as-is, and it’s the release version.

In fact, out of the e-mails I sent about the as-is version, nobody wanted it so keep in mind that all production Asgards shipped are going to be the release version with full support on it.

That is good to know. Jasmine, check your pm please.

Agree Relic. Maybe a cheaper solution is to add a programming port on the body. And program it using MCU programming software. Create you own groups and modes for each group. Save the profiles(Hex) in your PC and download.

:beer:

“Bluetooth-enabled programmable high powered LED flashlight”
That’s good! Great find Johnny.

So the shipped asgards already have the improvements which JohnnyMac told you, is that right?

Definitely. At first, I had trouble working up the courage to buy a $20 light… and now I feel like $50 is a great bargain for many of the lights I’m interested in (and I should maybe buy extras while the price is so low).

I may end up doing that, more or less. I don’t mind writing the light’s source code or modifying a DrJones driver, compiling it, and flashing it to a chip. The main thing I don’t like is having to take the light apart to get at the controller chips.

Thanks for the great review, Johnny, it’s looking very promising.

You mentioned a firmware update. Is it somehow possible to upgrade the firmware in existing lights? I ask because FastTech also sent me a prototype sample, which is still in transit. I’m interested in the bug fixes and lower moonlight mode.

sb, you should be able to just download the latest version of the app and program away.

Ah, I understood this to be a firmware update on the driver inside the flashlight.