Q8 Dual footprint, quad LED copper DTP LEDboard interest List

What he means is this:

Issue one: The hole in the reflector is too small. For a ~5mm square emitter, you need ~7.07mm round hole. So, the ~7mm hole won’t fit (unless it is on the ‘large’ side of ~7mm and/or the emitter is on the ‘small’ side of ~5mm).

Issue two: The MCPCB is custom shaped for the Q8 and will not fit in any other light. So, it will be scrapped if you take it out of the Q8. You already answered by saying it is the same situation with any mod. But, that’s not entirely true. Most MCPCB’s are a standard size/shape and can be used elsewhere when removed from a stock light.

Yes. Please read “light engine” definition in #177.
If any parts are specific (led footprint/pcb shape and size/reflector) and cant be find separate, they should be made together to work together. Right now it looks like “we have spent 100+ pages discussing stock pcb, now 100 of us will use it as copper disc”.
This is not case for any modding, when you use tirs you buy pcbs that were made for those tirs that you can find separately, stock light engine (with known properties) can be put in other same-size light.

This wont be problem if reflector base should be over led rectangle case for proper focusing (depends from reflector shape and thickness9)

Yeah, I thought of that, too. I was just trying to help T_A understand what you already wrote. I didn’t even know that calculation that you used. I had to look it up to see it was true. :stuck_out_tongue:

I never give exact measurements, we asked for them to size the holes in the reflectors to allow XM-L LED’s when we started this, I assume this was done. The holes certainty look like XM-L size holes, the centering rings I use were sold as 7mm. I don’t think it will be an issue.

Far as the stock mcpcb, it is not something I even thought about, just part of modding a light. Out of the well over 100+ lights I have had and modded I can count on 1 hand the number that had mcpcb’s I could use on other lights, AKA, they were DTP. All the rest were useless to me and now fill a box full of useless parts. So I never even considered trying to reuse it.

A host version of the Q8 would be great but pretty sure that won’t happen sadly.

You keep bringing up TIR optics, why? They have nothing to do with the Q8? I think this might be the heart of the misunderstanding.

When we discussed the stock mcpcb in the Q8 we wanted a multi-footprint version. Thorfire rejected that so we are stuck with building to separate mcpcb’s. Yes, the stock one will most likely go to waste. Not sure I see the problem with this except for the wasted $3-4.

I have no idea what the exact measurements are, I almost always give rounded numbers. The centering rings I use for XM-L reflectors are sold as 7mm rings, so thats what I said. I have not seen the Q8 reflector holes measured yet.

And thanks for the explanation, I was starting to get baffled at what he was talking about. These were so far outside my thinking of an issue it didn’t even occur to me.

i am even interested if you guys can make a quad XHP50 or XHP70 (prefer xhp50) after the Q8 is done using Q8 host so it wont take much more time like prototyping Q8 was. Heck i am sold on that. I dont have SRK lights so another Q8 with different config is tempting.

ps. “Q8 Dual footprint” what is that mean? is it mean it support 3535 and 5050 die size?

ALL multi-led dtp boards that are available for sale right now were made for CONCRETE optics (tir) that are known and can be bought separately.
We cant think about custom tirs due very big MOQ. But if you are going to make custom board, you can at least try to order custom reflector. Specially if you dont have link to one that will 100% fit.

We already have a reflector that works fine, why would we need another one? I don’t think that some orange peel texturing is worth making a whole new reflector when some diffuser film can get the same results?

Also the 4x SRK reflectors apparently have the same LED spacing as the Q8, so if someone wanted another reflector a source for the SRK reflectors could most likely be found but I see no reason to spend the money on that when you will not gain anything noticeable.

Well this would be a DIY mod, this is simply the part that would be needed to make that most many times easier.

The dual footprint should be taken out of the OP at this point. We wanted a 5050 and 7070 footprint when this thread started but found they will not fit together.

An OP reflector would cause less light loss than a diffuser film and I like the beam that it produces better.

Btw, I do expect that XHP50.2 leds would produce an ok beam with the stock reflector.

Interested in one, thinking about four de-domed SST-40.

Would the gain in output not be marginal, compared to dedoming the stock emitters?

Just thought it would be a fun,cheap and easy upgrade mod :smiley:

Reading through this, I’m a bit confused. Is the 5050 board going into production? Can I buy it somewhere?

Also what’s the plan for a driver if the LEDs are swapped for XHP50.2s?

Yes this needs a little reboot :slight_smile:

XHP50.2 are not so simple because they dont want a spike in amps. There are much died.

For this fact I would prefer XHP70.2. Or we must limit the driver a bit per code or resitor or long wires.

I would love to get a 4x XHP70.2 SRK with 4S 18650s.

Not sure how you would mod the battery compartment of the Q8 to do that though…