Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

Yes, the ThorFire proto is finally on it's way via UPS!! It's due to arrive Monday the 14th.

I got a few of these - think Amazon had a few at a good price. They fit all my SRK's perfect! I've posted bout these before, think earlier. Haven't had troubles with them staying on as-is.

I already have a UCLp in my 4X SRK clone Q8 proto, and in a couple other SRK clones (M6, etc.). Hop'n the lens size diam is standard, but the thickness is a potential issue. All UCLp's are 2.25 mm thick.

Hint: If the 2.25mm thick UCLp is too thick it can, being Acrylic, be thinned down on the edge with a file or something such that it protrudes up into the bezel ring. :wink:

Please put me down for 5 more.

Nice! I've trimmed them in diameter before but never thought of that to handle height issues. Mine will be getting UCLp's for sure.

Put me down for 1 please, :slight_smile:

It would be very helpful if someone could provide some definitive selection for a diffuser and stand for the Q8.

My primary intended use for the Q8 is for emergency room lighting. So, the light should sit on the tail and have a removable structure on the emitting end to provide required distribution. From one of the posts above, it might be necessary to have an accessory stand. This, I presume, could be as simple as a piece of wood with a hole part way through. However, many people probably do not have the tools to make that large a hole in a piece of wood. A light (maybe folding) metal stand would be a good solution. Perhaps something re-purposed like a propane tank stand.

So a diffuser should act to provide a near field illumination as well as some larger area illumination. Near field, enough light to read a book within probably 3’ to 6”, and eat or prepare a meal. Ambient lighting should allow moving around a room (size?) and performing most normal tasks in a power loss situation. I expect that these requirements would favor a diffuser that does not depend on ceiling reflection for most of the light. Horizontal radiation angles need to be managed to avoid excessive light intensity for users around the light. Particularly important if a clear “diffuser/reflector” system is used. I do understand that the effective distances for use are a function of Q8 power levels. If the basic parts are there, the user gets to select the power vs results as needed. From night light up. The remarkable firmware capabilities make this an excellent choice for a wide range of particular situations. Overall it is a nice solution to needing both a flashlight and a lantern. And getting state of the art efficiency for each use. We might also take advantage of a project here that was trying to design a lantern. I believe it died from vendor problems, but they did some nice work.

I would think, that providing suitably matched pieces for sale (separately or as kits) would be beneficial for the manufacturer. It gets them into a market segment outside of simply flashlights.

I've used several lights in power outages simply by reflected light off the ceiling, but also used diffusers. The Fenix diffuser should work pretty good. I'll try it when the prototype arrives, take pics, and do a little review on the setup. SRK's are great tailstanders for blackouts.

A coathanger and a 16oz styrofoam cup. Hang the light pointing down, cram the white styrofoam cup on the bezel. Like having a standard light fixture in the room and it’s not harsh on the eyes from being at eye level on a table. :wink:

I actually prefer the ceiling bounce myself in most cases. The light comes from above and you are not blinded by the light source itself. It is more “natural” IMHO.

Ceiling bounce works with higher output, low output to conserve cell life in a power outage won’t produce much ambient light in a bounce type scenario. And not everyone has white ceilings.

True points.

Yes, very.
What you also want is not too high color temperature and preferably high CRI.

I use white styrofoam cups as white balance markers when correcting wedding reception or party photo’s. All kinds of lights going on, usually dim base settings, there’s those white cups all over the place, difficult to take a photo at a party and not have a white cup showing somewhere.

I also prefer not to use a ceiling bounce. Various reasons. I know some are listed above.

In some areas the ceiling is just too high and slanted (e.g., great room).
In some areas used as an emergency shelter there are no suitable colored ceilings (garage, basement, shelter).
Too much loss of light with accompanying higher power use to get a usable level of light.
Too many opportunities to look into the LEDs.

And the diffuser should absorb as little of the light as possible to maximize useful run time.
Diffuser should not melt, catch fire, or emit strange smells if you turn up the light power; within reason. The attachment point could get pretty warm.

Hence, asking for “best of breed” diffuser.

Somewhere in this thread are some pics where I use a simple tripod and a SRK
So in this case a lot of tripods will dibthe job (I just removed the handle from the Thorfire S1 (a heavy light) and with 4 cells my most cheap plastic tripod work.
So for say $4 a tripod as stand check

On several places in this thread I linked to and showed a really nice diffuser ~$9 but a plastic cup would do the trick.

Wow what a lot of new entries for the list, will update it later.

And news if the day, Tom E said it before, the prototype is in transit!!!

Put me down for two please.

Can you add me to the list for one? Thanks

Yes welcome to BLF
Our internet is not working so only via phone
When it is up again I’ll update OP!

I used mine the other day this way and it worked extremely well. With Toms firmware, ramp the light up to the desired brightness for the room, its extremely stable sitting on its bum.

I like that way of thinking Dale. Most folks think “what can I get to do the job?” while I think ’what’s already here that will do the job?” And even in emergencies just about anywhere there will be a white styro cup nearby for a diffuser. Or a thin plastic one- hey, those come in colors so making colored marker lights would be easy too. Of course one could buy a diffuser but that takes all the fun out of it :stuck_out_tongue:

Phil