Q8, PMS SEND TO THOSE WITH ISSUES BLF soda can light

how to read out the temp sensor in the MCU?

Section 17.12 in the datasheet

Well, it's an AtoD conversion, just like reading the voltage dividers for battery level. Dunno offhand the details, but yes - in the Atmel spec.

I have read the datasheet and articles people using it for an temperature measurement

but that doesnt help me getting a value out of my MCUs like the –2, –8, –11 offset values that are desribed in narsil triple to calibrate the sensor to room temperature

I need practical instructions how to get the offset value out of my chip using amtel Studio 7 or another programm

If you are an expert in programming you can easily do this but i have almost no programming expirience, if they would write the datasheet in chineese that would help me as much as the english one, even if i understand nothing for chineese one

I know how to get data in the chip flashing
but getting real time data out of the attiny is a whole different thing

Hahaha can we source this in China?

Ohh, ok. I was confused in what you were asking for (might still be). I'm thinking you are asking how to go about calibrating the temperature readings? If so:

To get a close to accurate temp calibration, I'd start trying with -2 for TEMP_CAL_OFFSET, so remove the "//" from the #define TEMP_CAL_OFFSET (-2) line and add the leading "//" on the #define TEMP_CAL_OFFSET (-11) line. Only one should be uncommented (no "//"), the other two should be commented out (i.e. leading "//").

Unfortunately you would have to assemble the light now, then give it time to settle to room temperature, then in ramping, triple-click, then double-click to get into temperature reading mode. If it blinks out room temp in Celsius close to accurate, you are good to go. If not, say for example it blinks out 26(C) when the actual room temp is 21C, then it's reading 5 too high, therefor the -2 offset should be changed to -7. Of course to make this change, you'd have to dis-assemble the light, make the change in the source code, re-compile/link and download -- then re-check the temp. Again, if the light had been used and heated up, it will take some time for it to settle back to room temp. I really need to make this settable in the UI some how..

Maybe, not sure, but you might be able to do this open on the bench - I haven't tried it this way, but would think it would be work ok. This would save the PIA assembly/dis-assembly steps. Some lights are easier than others - the SupFire M6 is great for quick programming because of the driver retaining ring, and extra long wires you need anyway - no soldering, just like the Q8 will be .

OK

I got it on my bench tested

The light blinks 3 then 2 times, with –2, so that means 32°C right?
according to this readings at 20°C I have to calibrate –14

#define TEMP_CAL_OFFSET (14) // For the Klarus XT11GT at –2, reads 32C room temp (20C)

now it blinks 2 then 1 so its 21°C almost perfect my IR thermometer says 22°C

The other thing is I want the light when powered on to go to turbo, what do I need to change in the firmware

K, cool! Reviewing now.. 1 min

Indeed although it is rumored that it really only has 2 (two) primary uses depending on the chosen reflector although there is a 3rd choice. IE.

Reflector A) - Use in a small town at night instead of all the streetlights.

Reflector B) - Used to blind criminals and people you don’t like.

No Reflector) Emergency heating device.

I also read about the temp calibration they do in the datasheet

as the temp is not linear it would be better to do the calibration at the temperature you want the light to step down

I will test both those drivers with a hairdryer now

the one set to –1 has at 23°C 22 blinks, then heated to 54°C it blinks 54, perfect

the other blinks 36 blinks with –2 on 22°C driver temp

Ok, think I got it worked out but it's untested - "it should work" (last famous words)

At about line #1993, you should find:

modeIdx = 0;

Replace that with the following:

modeIdx = modesCnt - 1;
      if (ramping)
      {
         outLevel = rampingLevel = MAX_RAMP_LEVEL;
         SetLevel(outLevel);
      }

This should work for both ramping and non-ramping. So for non-ramping, it's setting the mode to the last (highest/max mode. If in ramping, it will initialize the output to the maximum level. I think this should be the correct way. I'd fell better though if I could test this out, but if you are on an easy to re-program bench setup, should be worth a try.

This is actually working and I tested the output. It hit 34K lumens on 6 Sam 30Q BT's, and 37.5K lumens on 6 VTC6's with solder blob tops.

Here it is on moon mode that I measured at 0.1 lumens, if that's possible (think it is):

Also, believe it or not, the beam on a white wall looks pretty darn good - better than the 4X or 5X SRK's accept there is a very noticeable black hole in the center.

Ohhh - I measured throw at 155 kcd taken at 5 meters with the Sam 30Q's, so I'd expect better on the SONY's, and even better if measured outdoors at over 10 meters. I do have some issue at the low modes using the 7135 right now. I already blew one 7135 so I'm on my second. We are still trying to figure this one out, but easy fix is to eliminate the 7135 and only use the FET and that solves the problems, I think...

I'm pretty sure it would hit 40K lumens with a decent AR lens - the stock one is simply thick glass.

Here it is next to an L6 for comparative size. It's really not all that big. An UltraFire that's the real deal

seems to work in ramping and groups on my bench

for the narsil triple v1.3 the 2 blinks seems to be disabled

its just below the stuff I changed for the startup at high
but I cant figure why its disabled in the v1.2 it was enabled

Registered just for this. (:

Please put me down for 1 light.

Cheers.

Welcome davos!!

Yes, v1.3 defaults to no 2 blinks on startup - not sure why I left it this way, but was probably my last build version before posting. See this section in the code:

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//             Settings to modify per driver
#define FIRMWARE_VERS (13)    // v1.3 (in 10ths)

//#define STARTUP_2BLINKS // enables the powerup/startup two blinks

Remove the "//" (uncomment) if you want the 2 blinks on startup.

New member here, visiting from r/flashlight. I’m super interested in this thing. Could I please be put down for one Q8, and could somebody point me in the right direction to figure out how the group buy stuff works? When where, how do I pay, etc.

Thanks!

Probably not but I have a guy that knows a guy from Narnia……

Welcome to BLF new members
Honored you dedicated your first post to the Q8!

Will update list later
Then when time comes all receive a PM with link and code to order their light.

Tom E, you got a link to that Ultrafire hanging around?
Looks like fun :stuck_out_tongue:

This is the photobook album on it. No mod thread unfortunately. It's all XHP50 K2 bin, E2 tint group (2A, 2B, 2C, 2D) on 16mm Noctigons - about $140 in LED/MCPCB's:

Album: Slide Show: