REAL pocket thrower (100kcd). Can it be done?

In middle school, I had a band instructor who told us this:

If you aim here
you’ll only hit here

So if you only aim there, you’ll hit even lower. Go for 100k, man. See what happens.

what about a de-domed xpg2? you would still probably get more lumens than an xpe2 and probably more throw

I’ve never de-domed before, but some people report it about doubles the lux. If you can live with the limited spill, you just might hit your 100k.

Ok then, you guys make me build my lights and you make me ruin them again . Apparently I wanted to prove something and dedomed the above xpg2 with a forceps. And a dirty job it was, a bit of the phosfor-layer (10%?) came off (mouse over for ugly result):

Now the beam is not that clean anymore, there's blue accents in it, also in the hotspot. Actually the tint shift caused by dedoming is more or less compensated by the extra blue, on average it is again a cool white tint. Probably not good for the CRI-value though.

At least I can measure what this demolishing was all about: throw. Despite the loss of phosfors (it is complicated actually: blue contributes relatively little to the lux, but with the blue coming straight out the die for this part there's also no conversion loss by the phosfors, hmm) I measure 69K-lux @ 1m now, significantly higher than the former 50K-lux, but not near twice as much, as suggested.

Think I'm ordering (again, this light is getting a history) a new xpg2 for this light, the beam was nicer and more usefull (larger hotspot, more light overall) before the dedoming.

That’s the problem with dedoming. I wish Cree could make domeless led’s. Now that blue tint might have some UV light too. If so, it is very harmful to your eyes.

Doh! Sorry the dedome went bad. You did show that it added 38% to the throw.

OK. . . . .

There's some uv on the side of the blue peak in the spectrum of the blue coming out under the phosfors, but that is not that much. I worked a lot with uv and I know the feel when it hits my retina. Whenever this 69 k-lux hits my eyes it is not the uv I am worried about .

Sweet pics djozz!

Congrats on the semi-dedoming.

thanks, whenever I destroy something the least I can do is make good pictures of it

More than 100kcd I get only with my HD2010, I like it very mucht but it´s not really pocketable. Smallest pocket thrower I have is a C8 with dedomed XM-L2 at 3.5A at max, for the size a throw of nearly 80 klux is :bigsmile:

After seeing lux quoted as 20kcd for an xml uf-v3 I’m still looking around for something closer to 30kcd with an xml.

I think I may have found it. A Crelant 7g6cs fits the bill and has measured over 26kcd similarly to the uf-v3 underdriven at 530 lumens. Probably not the easiest subject for my first emitter swap though…

Anyone have a 7g6cs they don’t want? Maybe trade for something?