Recommended $5 flashlights for gifting in 2019

It's for gifting to random people, so trying to keep it around $5

If any light is better than no light, I’d say the Costco pack of ’68 clones would be the most effective.

Who really cares if the beam’s Angry Blue™ or Hateful Purple™, as long as it lights up what it’s aimed at. More or less.

And forget Duraleaks or Enerleakers, as I’ve had way better luck with Rat Shack cells and Rayovacs. Unearthed them from probably 10yrs back, no leaks. Had 2yo Duraleaks that were encrusted in salt in still-unopened packages.

Another vote for the Sofirn SF10. Currently for 6.21 euro in the aliexpress store. I have one and it seems to have all the desired qualities: one AA, it works and looks like it will always keep working, and very important: it is chunky and ugly, you will have no problem giving it away.

It’s a shame they don’t make these in AA. Super cheap but what could go wrong with a light that simple… reflector, switch, 1 mode, for less than 2 bucks (and I’m sure there’s a volume discount somewhere).

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Sanyi-Mini-Flashlight-Working-Inspection-Light-Portable-Penlight-1-Switch-Mode-LED-Maintenance-Hand-Torch-Pocket/1726205_32913047836.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.6.45623a1eHb8HG1

If we’re talking about random strangers here who just happen to need a light, I wouldn’t bother them with zoomies or multi-modes tbh.

Say what? Single mode?

Interesting ! I have had great luck with Rayovac Fusion batteries myself. Just ordered some AA’s last week. Haven’t seen one leaky one over the past few years.I like the box they come in as well.

Yeh, I believe that’s what “Simply 1 switch mode lighting effect design.” means. :laughing:

And take yer choice: “Lumen: 600”, “brightness can up to 250lm”, and/or “Lumen: 1000LM”. Wheee!

And just lookit the way that lights up the pier/bridge/whatever. Brighter’n my Q8!

Yes indeedy! I’d stick with Rat Shack and/or Rayovac any day, vs popular name-brand dreck.

Sofirn SF10 is an ordinary flashlight. It is bright but very good, it is possible to use 14500 and AA batteries. It’s definitely better than cheap clones Sipik68 and the like. Such a clone has bought a friend and shines much less than SF10. The color of the light is neutral white. Most cheap lamps have a crazy color to blue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SingFire-SF-348-Cree-XPE-R3-180Lm-Super-Mini-LED-Flashlight-1-x-10440-AAA/113125100431?hash=item1a56c80b8f:g:WSgAAOSwxblbOyKs:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

singfire sf-348, i have one , its a pretty neat light durable as hell with just one mode in a stainless steel host.

I have learned to respect any recommendation you make, but details seem lacking about this light in the description. Can you confirm that it uses a single AA battery? What are the modes? Is the side switch pretty durable? What does the beam look like if you shine it against a white wall?. And, what does "bobofett" mean? Thanks!

Edited: Put three in the shopping cart (for $8.97) )and the shipping added $7.97 = $17. This makes it over $5 per light for me.And it doesn't look like Micro Centers offers free shipping at any price point. Disappointing!

I’d also really like to know how the tint is like on the suggested lights… maybe you people could add that in your comments. for example the singfire 348 for around 5 bucks is very blue, that’s why they had the blf348 with nichia 219 made. it costs only slightly more and is so much nicer. (source: have both)

for a 1,50 light I don’t care much about the light color, but if I spend 5, it better be not blue.

I can get very nice AAA lights like the astrolux a01, blf348 for 7-8 euros

before I buy two blue ones for 4-5 bucks each, I rather buy a 1,50 blue one to give to strangers and a 7,50 nice one I give to friends.

If I didn't already have a stock of hurricane give-away flashlights, I would consider this current deal from Amazon. OK, it would be unacceptable for my own normal use because of the inline strobe, but to a person sitting in their ravaged home in the dark it would be like manna from heaven. Yes, there are people that ill prepared - for example old widows.

+1 on the SF10 !

I have given/sold a lot to friends/colleagues and "normal" people really like it, a few of them even asked me some more (that's how i sold some) for their own relatives.

They love it because :

• use single AA
  • small enough to fit any pocket/purse
  • brighter than what they are used too
  • simple UI

And from what i can see i'd say that it's the most reliable AA i know in that price range

Als just found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ThorFire-20000LM-Tactical-LED-FlashlightHiking-Military-Zoomable-Aluminum-3/192844564760?epid=25017884269&hash=item2ce66e8918:g:1noAAOSw2hxcNH6N

looks okay! $4.86

I think this one’s a great choice to give to people who aren’t interested in a complicated UI and just want something that can reliably provide light when they need it.
It always starts on high, and on AA it has a maximum brightness of 100lm - a perfectly adequate level for low-light conditions, but not something that will warm the light much even if left on high.

And if you can snag Sofirn’s $1.00 off $1.01 coupon that sometimes appears in the app, you can use it while the SF10 is on sale and get it for really really close to the target of $5!

Very blue.

Looks like the Thorfire CT01, and the $4.86 price listed is fair, if you don't get a fake. But still too expensive for a give-away light IMHO. And the inline strobe alone would kill it as something I would care to use personally - or gift to family or friends.

FWIW, I purchased two Thorfire TG06S's in Dec 18 from a different seller - and they turned out to be low quality fakes.

Wouldn’t give a 20k lumens light to a Muggle :wink:

Or this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Mini-LED-Flashlight-TG06S-EDC-Pocket-Light-XP-G2-500LM-5-Mode-Mount-Lamp/202601194283?epid=2300069566&hash=item2f2bf8e32b:g:elgAAOSwB0hcanE3

$4.85

dont know if its real?? ((Edit: its Fake/clone))

This seems to be the highest quality below $5 right?

wait a minute. only $4.08

Another one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-LED-Flashlight-TG06S-EDC-Pocket-Light-Cree-XP-G2-500LM-5-Modes-Mount-GB/264196897962?epid=2300069566&hash=item3d835cbcaa:g:Hv8AAOSwGDNcZQr~