Replace laptop batteries?

Not sure. Reverse charging COULD force current more than a short, especially if we're talking 3cells or more... though I'm thinking it still won't explode as HRL prevents overheat, though the affected battery capacity would almost certainly be lowered permanently.

And by the way HRL doesn't "kick" in. It's just an internal protective layer to prevent overheating the cell. It's always there, it's not a protective circuit.

OFF topic rant. THIS is why I prefer parallel placement when you can. I very much dislike DRY design, for example. They could just design it to put 3x18650 in parallel, wouldn't make a difference in size whatsoever, but they just had to pick the more dangerous and less efficient way.

My personal opinion is that by the time the laptop battery dies, the laptop is obsolete! If I really needed it to keep going I would hesitate on spending a lot of money on another set. In this case $30.00 TOPS. Any more could have been put towards a new one.

My philosophy on all electronics, is buy cheap, and buy often. Do not chase the leading edge, let the leading edge come to me. This is a true budgeteers attitude. Of course this is just the theory and real world needs and wants still are important. Technology is advancing so fast, and getting cheaper and cheaper, that it makes little sense to try and extend the useful life of older electronics, apart from nostalgia.

Well, IMO budgeteer is about using resources efficiently, replacing things often just for the sake of buying something new is not the smartest thing to do, our planet doesnt have unlimited resources, you should look at it from this perspective also and not be careless is this regard :)

I bought EOL laptop model which had good specs, good build quality and 3 year warranty knowing that it will be capable to do all I want it to for the next 2-4 years.

Unless youre a hardcore 3D gamer/dont tax your laptops CPU for 100% for long periods encoding huge amounts of data then IMO you dont need to change your laptop frequently.

Either way if you need lots of raw power then laptop is not the best option out there, youll need powerfull desktop for more demanding hardcore tasks.

What I am saying is that it makes no sense to spend 1500.00 for a laptop today and wait 10 years for your next one. I say spend 350 today, 350 in 3-4 years. and spend LESS overall. The laptop you buy 3 years later will be MORE powerful than the 1500.00 one. If you assume that $$$ = resources, then THAT makes better use of resources.

Im not going to spend 1500$ on a laptop unless it has something others dont.

Thats why I buy things that I know will serve me will and will be able to keep up with tasks, no need to upgrade every year, thats IMO.

This will be my kid's "new" computer, so I want to get a decent battery.

'You won't be able to solder them .it's just impossible ,impractical and foolish to try ..take it to a batteries plus and let them build it for you with your cells if you want .'

Thanks Boaz, I will check out batteries +, we have 1 in the city.