Review: 10-B Cree Q5 EDC

as well I also bought some more in bulk. Polish one of them up if you get a chance to have one for tactile delirium.

It really is a fun little torch and like you said, so light in weight that you almost start to carry two and not feel stupid. :smiley:

>>>>Polish one of them up if you get a chance to have one for tactile delirium.

Did you just polish all the paint off with a bench-mounted polish wheel or something, or did you use any paint remover?

Although it looks pretty slick as is with that gold ring.

I just can’t get over how light this is. “Well, how light is it?” someone asks.

1.7 ounces to be exact, WITH a trustfire rechargeable. (A genuine sk68 w/batt is 3 ounces; SK98 clone is 4.6 ounces.) This little thing is like a feather!

Another comparsion: a Sanyo unprotected 18650 — WITHOUT any light at all — is 1.6 ounces.

And I’m guesstimating an output of 100-125 lumens on high.

will work. Some folks here like to use Greased Lightning and it’ll work too. In fact that’s prolly the way to go. Heck even brake fluid I imagine will work really well given nothing else at hand. If you decide to do it, just use a cloth buffing wheel with some Jeweler’s Rouge, and then finish with any decent aluminum polish like you find at Pep Boys. It comes out just aces. Really pleasant to hold.

Like you said though it’s pretty snazzy as is with that little gold band. I was just trying to go after a Sorta Steam Punk (SSP) look.

I think this light is one of the best bargains on DX and AFAIK the only place you can get it at that great price. A must have IMO.

thanks for the review. liked the jokes in it also haha.
do you or ubehebe have the mini o1 to compare notes or even beam shots?
will a kechain ring fit on this light?

The mini 01 BURIES this little light in light output, but then the mini 01 gets hotter than the blazes (at least mine does) in even the non-turbo setting. So the mini (to me) is more of a bragging-rights light. Couple weeks ago, I tried to use it on a walk and it just got too hot, too hot to even hold. I had another light to fall back on, but if I had been out in the desert with nothing but the 01, I would have been in real trouble. It’s not particularly useful in the real world. Maybe to find your front-door keyhole for 15 seconds, or to find something lost on your car floor.

This little liight is more along the lines of a sk68 replacement, but lighter, and maybe just a tad dimmer, depending on which sk68 you put it up against. It has useful but not blinding brightness, very much in line with it being supposedly a Q5 and not a T6 like the 01. I find at night around the house, even the sk68 one-mode can be too bright. This one is pretty much perfect for doing anything around the house at night without blasting your eyes out. And it’s so light as to be nonexistent in your pocket.

BUT I have to say that I’m personally not a big fan of cr123 and 16340 lights because of the safety records for those batteries. It seems like most of the explosions in that FBI report on li-ion cell issues were from this size cells. It may not be the cells themselves. It may be purely operator error and that more people are using cr123-size lights than 18650, etc, which I suspect is the case. I doubt Joe Nummnutts will buy a 18650/26650 lights for his cub scout pack outing. Instead he — and 8 million others — will buy and use cr123 lighst available everywhere from target to Sports Authority. So it may SEEM that that are more 16340/cr123 incidents, but in reality, there are just manyy many more of them out there to go bad. Stiil, probably because of my li-ion 14500 explosion, I am little nervous around cr123/16340 lights, but much more so around DOUBLE-battery lights of that size, which this light is not.

foremost has IMO a very useful and practical combination of throw and spill. That and its exceptional light weight, not too bright eye-saving low for close-quarters work, but plenty bright & tight enough high to get out there, indicates they put serious thought into it and didn’t just slap together components. They did their homework.

I see this thread for the first time just now, and i have to add that the NEW 10-B is a nice candidate for changing the led. I posted about this on CPF a few months ago, but received not much response on that (the light must have been too cheap for CPF).

In the meantime I modded another one in which case I did not just put a Nichia 219 and a new reflector in, but also mounted an extra copper plate under the led for better heatsinking and changed the driver to a NANJG AK-47 1050mA board set to low-mid-high only. Although it is now my perfect (and thusfar very reliable) EDC-light , I do not really recomment using this driver because it was a pain to fit it in: both the pill (driver size 14mm) had to be widened quite a bit and the (17mm) driver had to be sanded down to such an extent that several connections on the board to the outer ring (=battery minus) had to be repaired with extra wiring. Note: 3V cr123 batteries do no longer work with this driver fitted in.

Extra added bonus with this light: it is not anodised and the paint wears off beautifully fast so it gets the 'used' looks you like so much in no time

some of us know this first hand. Your post btw on DX helped convince me this light was worth looking into. You were so right. Thanks.

Hope you post here more often with your expertise.

Will these batteries be too long or should they fit?

http://www.manafont.com/product_info.php/protected-trustfire-16340-37v-880mah-rechargeable-batteries-flame-2pcsset-p-5571?rp=032201

Lumatic,
I really enjoyed your review and the follow on posts with additional info. I have just placed an order for a couple of these lights. I am looking forward to playing with them and trying my hand at modding one of them as a first project. I have some other lights but have been afraid to get into modding any of them. At the price of this little light I will have fun giving it a try and if I toast it, I won’t be out too much.

Thanks for your great review.

Well my 10B arrived from DX today. Fantastic I thought, just 15 days from ordering and here with me already. New toy on a Friday evening to boot.

Unscrewed the head and popped in a freshly charged 16430, screwed down the head and the tail shot off! I thought maybe I had been stupid and used a cell which is too long but no, the tail switch body looks to be almost a different size. I checked the threads and there seems to be no depth to them. I’ve checked for any swarf or other evidence that I’d been heavy handed but nothing. Guess I’m going to be facing the DX customer service team over the weekend once I get my camera sorted to take some pics. As I was keen to see it running I popped in the switch of my SK68 clone, it fits like a glove and the cell holds nicely (if you have both try it, it make it a little shorter with the one from my TomTop clone). Tried the 10B switch in the SK68 and same issue, just no thread there for it to screw in.

Really not that impressed with it at the moment but will reserve judgement until I’ve spoken with DX and had a proper play with it.

Sorry to hear that Chimp. This must be another case of a nice dx-light being a bit longer on the market that gets produced cheaper. I own two of these lights for some time and this is how the threading at the switch looks now. The finish of the light shows lots of wear but the threading is nice. On both lights there is quite some play when the tail is screwed in but they close tight.

Those threads look a lot deeper than the ones on mine…

I’ve filled a ticket with DX so I can only see what happens. Hopefully a replacement unit. It’s strange though, all the other threads are really nice.

I really wanted to play so got creative and tried the switch from my SK68, it fitted perfectly:

I actually think it looks better for the lower profile switch :slight_smile:

I’ve been out for a walk in a local country park this evening, playing with both this and my new TD-0. The 10-B really did impress me. The throw is really impressive for the size and it just continued to grow on me with the nice spill. The thing that got me is the modes, I’d rather well spread L-H-M and no strobe.

Thread issues aside it’s a belting little light for the money.

Had a reply from DX this morning, offer was to send a new one or refund as store credit. I went with the credit option as there are a few other bits I’d like from them at the minute. Really can’t fault DX on the service, just so long as the credit is on my account in the next couple of days.

Looks like the same one with battery and charger included for $4 more…

http://dx.com/p/new-10bb-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-charger-black-1-x-cr123a-16340-123088

I picked this up as my first CR123 light.

Was anybody able to test the lumen rating of this flashlight.
I am looking for a cheap 16340 light, and this seems to fit the bill.

I can't measure because I modded mine a long time ago, but I guess it to be between 120-150 lumens with a good bright (XRE) hotspot.