Review: Brinyte B158 Aspheric Zooming Light. IPX-8, Solid Brass Pill with 17mm driver, 58,120cd!

That are rough calculations. It can be much more than that. My best 1503 UF does 270kcd with XPG2S4/FET.

This light could be in 250kcd territory.

But I am waiting for results from mhanlen. Did you mod it?

Still haven’t gotten my parts yet… It takes Richard a week or two to build the driver and then the post office has been unusually slow this week. It may be waiting at home today. I’ve been waiting on another package shipped last week by priority mail.

I know. I was being modest and cautious, although it was quite difficult for me…… :wink:

I like the design and as we do have a lot of good high drain 18650 nowadays, this should make for a nice pocketable thrower.

Grtz
Nico

Still waiting on those parts. Question…
That driver is in there good. It looks press fit… There’s no solder on the top. Is there something I’m doing wrong? I’m trying to put tweezers into the holes or lift the sides, and I’m getting nowhere. Should I just kill the original driver? Or am I overlooking something.

Just kill it if you have to.

1 or even 2 nails(you can dremel wedge part of nail) from emitter side, hold in bench-vise and hammer the nail from above... You can try that gentle of course but if it does not go gentle... Smack!

I hope you will not have to dremmel new driver to much. Or what I meant to say I hope that pill with press fit method did not shrink to 16mm, hope it can accept new driver easy.

Please keep us informed with your progress. :)

I may have to kill it. Thanks for the info. I found out what’s up with my driver… I had it shipped to my prior address in town… So either the post office will send it back to Utah or I’ll get it next week early. We’ll see… We’re still a ways off on the group buy, so it’s fine. If I get it early
Next week hopefully I’ll get it in before the week ends.

Turn the can upside down and with the straw direct it to the ring and blast a couple seconds , then hit driver from behind.
I usually try a small flat headed screwdriver as the nail wants to cut through rather than push.
HTH

Fantastic review!

I am a noob as far flashlights are concerned but I am looking for a flashlight that lights up nicely without blinding what I am lighting up.

Question about this light, can the ‘zoom’ be locked? I mean after I have the perfect throw for my needs can I lock it or is it easy enough to change it and have to constantly readjust?

For simplicity sake is there anything similar to this in the AA nimh world?

It can not be locked, but it’s a threaded turn. So it’s not easy to bump and accidentally change what you’re focused on. Personally I like it the way it is. You’ll probably want to readjust slightly anyway, as you move or objects move. The light works well for what you describe, as you can adjust the light throw. So if you want to barely see something at a distance, you’d adjust it to be more floody. If you have something further away, and you’d like a pinpoint of light you can focus it, and anywhere in between. Plus you have the lower modes that allow you more fine tuning if you want dimmer light. There isn’t a moonlight mode though, which some people may not like.

I watched the video review and the flood of the flashlight is really great. Especially at 3minutes 46seconds.
My only concern with this flashight is that on high mode it only lasts for one hour while the middle mode has a more reasonabe time of 3 hours but only outputs 350lumens.

I would like something better than this.
Is there a flood light like this Brinyte but that lasts longer say over 2 hours?

High output, long battery life, small size. Pick 2. This light is #1 and #3. If you want #2, give up #1 or #3.

Perhaps a better middle mode? A little better than 380lumens?

You could put any mode setup you want in the light if you are willing to remove the driver and replace it with something like a Q.Lite Rev A from Mountain Electronics with custom flashed firmware.

No matter what you do no light is going to put out more than about 900 lumens for about an hour on a 18650. Longer runtime comes at the cost of reduced output (usually through multiple modes) or buying a light that uses multiple, or just plain bigger batteries.

Check out the group buy thread for more of my thoughts on the Brinyte B158. Most of my relevant post so far are on page 3 and 4.

Nice video.

Another Hollywood blockbuster. Thanks for the review.

1. Great Review as usual..
  2. Say HammerJoe...More runtime? So 18650 and a GRAND of lumens isn't enough? Short of a car battery and a resistorized step down transformer..waddayawant? I get it HJ. Maybe carry some spares?

Thanks homies!

Does this come with momentary-on? And how fast does mode-memory set?

It takes 2 seconds of being on for it to lock in. If you do a momentary on press for less than 2 seconds it will change modes. If you’re first question is: does it come with the remote momentary on switch- it does not. It’s just the flashlight and the rail mount.