Review: CPF Italia Cometa 26650 Zoomy with BLF Driver XPL-Hi

Thank you! very good analogy!

I just wish that more people that really like this light would stand up.

Well the short time I had it working I was impressed by the broad flood even when flickering (pill shorting with driver).
I am anxious awaiting the new pill Banggood is sending and will put the Cometa in a place where I can easy reach it, there are some view points with trees.
A light like the S70 lights up the trees in front so checking things behind them is hard.
I need a zoomie for that and now it is the Uniquefire 1504, but I will use the Cometa as soon as it is working properly because I could already see t outpreforms the stock UF 1504.
I have no interest in a refund, I want it to work and thanks to the warnings of Bella Headlight I could remove and place back the lens and o ring and now that seats just fine.

i am confident most people will get the meaning :slight_smile:

Nice review.

Bottom line looks like:

• This is a well-built zoomie with excellent build quality, custom driver, XPL HI emitter, HAIII anodizing, throw and flood, and price.
  • The host is an unauthorized clone of a Jax Z1. An actual Jax Z1 host may be superior. However, I would expect the Cometa to significantly outperform an unmodded stock Z1 due to the higher output driver and XPL HI emitter.
  • There is a serious safety-related flaw in the clone’s design… most notably the possibility of a direct short in the battery compartment. However, this is fixable.

Thanks for the review.

All in all when it comes to actually using the light I mostly agree. After making sure it is reasonable safe it is pleasant to use. It is impressive what a wall of light it can produce, with a nice neutral tint and even beam. The other day we were testing it against a led lenser and it was difficult to see whether the lenser was on or off :wink: Furthermore, the light looks really nice and has a great UI.

I am definitely not dismissing some of the problems around the light (but can everyone please stop with the drama already!), but in the end I am fairly happy with it.

Oh? Perhaps you’d like to buy mine. Free milk jug washer included at no extra charge. :smiley:

Good review overall bugsy36, but I too think safety concerns should be made patently clear in any review. FWIW I didn’t have the extra $$$ when the GB launched so I don’t have one of these.

After seeing similar issues here that the A6 also suffered from tells me that either somebody among this seller-maker combo is a slow learner or that they simply don’t care about the product being sold. I happen to love learning, and I see something valuable here we should learn- and not repeat.

Phil

Thanks for the review. But I'm a little stunned to tell you the truth. This was a result of a group buy gone horribly wrong.

I think the manufacturer made a big mistake when the prototype they delivered for inspection didn’t match the end product.

What’s the point of sending out a prototype for approval if what you’re planning on delivering is something completely different? Had the prototype actually matched the end product, all of the QA issues could have been caught beforehand.

I am moving this from post 19 due to being heavily edited and changed. I hope nobody shorts out due to this.

Nice review and you say the Cometa is a really nice light. Interesting that you say that heat tightens up the zoom threads. I hope this review helps Banggood sell their remaining stock of Cometas. I also hope Banggood sends you many other free lights to review, because your comments are so cheerful and enjoyable to read. I just want to respectfully disagree that the insulating plastic is a fix for the short. It’s like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.
I think that for the good of the forum, and for the benefit of NEW and NAIVE members,
all reviews should come with required Full Disclosure of all connection between the reviewer and the seller of the light. Most reviewers already do this in order to keep their credibility. I hope all reviewers will continue to keep their business connections above the table.
Thx in advance.

While I understand your point Tom, at the same time I unfortunately was not around although I wish I would have been. I can only say about what I received recently.

With that said, I do believe that some people have a tendency to get too dramatic for various reasons - some good, some bad - BUT going to far overboard with drama can also lead to unwanted results for remedies. That applies to all relationships but for whatever reason, when people are behind a keyboard reason tends to go out the window.

I only wish I was here then.

@Sawmaster - The BLF A6 was not the same and even with the complaints that people keep mentioning on BLF, the defect rate did not exceed the single digits.

Personally I think the Cometa should have sold for $60 and allowed room for improvements etc. That is not to say this product should be $60 but what if it was. Jaxman is selling the host alone for $40. Nevertheless, a good idea and effort has suffered here and unfortunately those effects will be around for a long time to come.

Tarver - Get off your crusade!!

Please try to be nice. It’s time for everybody to get along and to keep moving along.
Everyone understands the need for full disclosure so don’t act like its a crusade.

Who would short out at a troll doing what a troll does?

As far as plastic being a bandaid on a bullet wound, take apart a high energy device sometime like a 480 Volt (or higher voltage) Variable Frequency Drive. You know what they use to insulate boards in there? A sheet of plastic… Well I am sure it is “highly” insulating plastic, but it is no thicker than milk jug plastic…. Those VFD’s are thousands of dollars and usually running all the time, but I guess that thin plastic aint good enough for some…

Tarver, you had been tempering your posts very well, and I understand you feel a righteous need to point out that some members here get lights to review from manufacturers. Cost wise, I lose more in time than I gain in a flashlight when I do a review… I usually spend a few hours on writing and pictures alone, as I am not an english major or any kind of professional writer. I make more per hour NOT doing a review, if I value my time at $10 an hour and it takes me three hours to review and write up a light (usually longer) than I would in getting a $25 dollar light in for a review.

Now when organizing a group buy, I am losing much more than just time with the lists and talking to the manufacturer and posting things. I am losing my mind trying to stay on top of requests, answer questions nicely that would be answered by reading the OP. Cleaning up the OP when things occur and then the deluge of “what happened, I thought it was going to be like XXX” Pm’s and such…

Feel free to host an honest custom group buy or review a light at any time Tarver…. Then see how it goes. Actually getting in the ring changes your perspective, heckling from the sidelines is always easy.

Moving your post AND leaving the remaining comments has nothing to with safety as much as it does trolling. It most certainly is not moving ahead. What you state has been stated in several threads and posts already. Your post serves no purpose except to further your insecure attitude when not 100% correct.

Bugsy36, Tarver and Teacher use Keep Moving Ahead as a passive aggressive way to hide their saying Kiss My A. Just figured I would update you as you had not been around. They are clever, aren’t they?

Thanks RemanG. No worries though. Karma never forgets.

Looking forward to the next great review. Not sure where hostility is from. Please relax.
Best wishes to all including Banggood and designers of Cometa

$60 is a reasonable figure if the Cometa is build to specs using the Jax Z1 host as the host alone is $32 at the current group buy, then add another $8-9 bucks for the Bistro driver, plus other cost for the tailcap, emitter, etc, and not forgetting the manufacturer’s and dealer’s margin plus shipping cost.
But at $60, I think the targetted 500 needed for the GB might be hard to achieve, as it almsot reach the price of a fully specs Jax Z1.

At $40, with all the bells and whistles promise in the earlier posts of the GB, it sure is hard to resist for some members here. But the final product, with all the issues highlighted, some or maybe many, felt dissapointed and all hells break loose.
It’s a pity also that this could be one of the main reason that Manker severing their relationship with Banggood

My point here is that both lights changed specs as delivered without notice being given first so that buyers could opt out before buying if they wanted to. The A6 was changed mid-production and the Cometa before production. I don’t see that as coincidental, but rather as most likely intentional, and that’s not a good way to win friends and influence people positively.

Agreed. You can’t get what ain’t being paid for and at we can’t buy any light for less than it’s build cost. If getting a certain something raises the price then so be it. It’s better to get what you want whatever the price is than to not get what you wanted at all.

Phil