Review: Dealmetic's Zeusray zoomie (XM-L2, 1x18650)

Ok, I’m guessing that what you have here is a good light out of the “bad batch” — one that did not blow up its driver within a few seconds of first being turned on and go dark.

Other than not dying: it has the over-deep cut on the emitter side, the bigger round hole in the emitter shelf, the extra plate stuck in to fill that extra depth, and the two holes drilled in the outside edge of the pill (one of those 2 holes not punched all the way through — that was also typical of that really bad batch).

The one I got as a replacement for my bad-batch (dead) one isn’t cut overdeep, doesn’t have or need the extra plate, and didn’t come with holes drilled n the edge for unscrewing the pill. And a few other people got them like that — we thought they’d gone back to sending out the original, more or less
(The two I got most recently came with similar less bright, warmer, and blotchier emitters — comments on that are over at the consolidated thread)

So I’m now guessing they did some quality control on the bad batch when people reported them fizzling — and now they’re sending out the ones that lit up and didn’t fizzle.
With the deeper cut, the extra plate added — maybe still too deep if the emitter’s not up near the lens.

Yeah, quoting from your review up above:

Your figure for the total thickness of the solid part of the pill seemed kind of low to me — somewhere in the old threads is a measurement of that thickness early on.
EDIT: found it:

I’d hope they flush those out of the system and go back to what we told them they did right.

I think mine is in the right spot near the lens. The light does not “over-zoom”—the die is in sharp focus when the head is full extended.

> right spot
Yes, I meant that reply to BLight Sam who wrote

Trying to figure out what that could be about.

Thanks for this review!

I had one that look exactly like yours, but branded as Cree XML 1000LM. Before I found this, I was curious and disassembled it myself as far down as the “brown disk” but couldn’t figure out how to screw the “brown disk” out.

Searching under the LED Driver’s number YN-5117-08, I found your post here!

At first, I thought the brown disk was glued on! Your saying it is pressure fitted allows me to figure out how to remove it! Thanks.

One very interesting difference: In your “Driver side of Pill:” you have: “The driver cavity is 3.98 mm deep. The total pill height is 15.00 mm.”
Mine pill is also 15mm outside but inside cavity is 8.9mm - all hollow inside there until the base-plate that the LED board seats on.

By the way, mine shows a LatticeBright Version 2.0 instead of Cree, which I kind of expected. While the expected not-really-cree is there, overall I am please with this light.

Didn’t see this until now.
As I recall I was confused at that time.
This explains my problem:

> Mine pill is also 15mm outside but inside cavity is 8.9mm – all hollow inside there until the base-plate that the LED board seats on.

Yeah, someone’s making a slight profit on the bit of aluminum they’re carving out.

Trimming, always trimming, there’s always another way to make it a little cheaper and less worth buying.

Ok, no one seem to know what to call this gizzmo: a brown thingy? a reflector? a retainer?

Mine was cracked, so I was searching for a possible replacement. After many variations, I got a hit. This AliExpress seller calls it “Flashlight reflector cup Gasket”. Since other sellers are likely to use the same name as existing sellers do, perhaps we too should call it “Flashlight reflector cup Gasket”.

I also found good hits for other “Reflector Cup” listings, but those without the word “Gasket” seem unsuitable for the retaining role. After various search combination, flashlight gasket along doesn’t describe it. It appears this indeed is a combination “reflector cup gasket”.

So, I thing best name for this “brown thingy” is probably “Reflector Cup Gasket”.

By the way, I messaged this seller, bad news is, she/he doesn’t have 18mm one. Don’t let this discourage you from doing the same. If more buyers want it, he/she just may find 18mm ones to sell.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-20pcs-Lot-Flashlight-reflector-cup-Gasket-XPE-XPG-LED-center-cover-CREER5-R4-insulation/32397671699.html

Gasket only, no reflector
http://intl-outdoor.com/cree-xpgxpexte-led-reflector-positioning-gasket-10-pcs-p-601.html

Rick

Thanks for the info Rick. When I changed my emitter out, I broke the brown retained thingy. But I didn’t need it. I just stuck the Noctigon down with thermal adhesive.

Does anybody know what current the driver in this light puts out?