Review: Fancy Flashlights Hi Current 17mm 1xAA Two Group Torch Circuit Driver

Thanks Rockspider. I assume the capacitors are the bits with the yellowy brownish stripe?

Yes the capacitors are usually a yellowish-brownish kind of colour, all the body of the capacitor is the same color, no stripes, no easily visible numbers (although some has very fine printings that can be seen with magnifying and good light)

I am
EDIT
using”4/3 A” NiMh cells— that’s the “18650” size more or less.
these, which I ended up getting several of: Tenergy 4/3A 17670 Size 3800mAh NIMH Rechargeable Battery - Tenergy

so I can convert my older 18650 li-ion lights to use these 1.2v drivers, and give the lights away.
Probably along with some connector wire with alligator clamps and magnets so my friends can get these big NiMH cells to charge by connecting them to their AA-size chargers.

Hank do the drivers you have some sort of mode memory? They work out at $5.50 Aussie dollars each which isn't to bad.

I have a few of these to try but haven't got around to it yet. They are slightly different to previous versions I've had which I was happy with.

Just need a driver now that will cover voltages from .9 volt up to 4.2 volts, still.

The ones I have are marked LD20 and for only 1xAA (they work, really bright, with 2xAA but I didn’t dare keep one powered up for more than a few seconds).
I’m not sure I understand how they’re supposed to behave. The first batch I had claimed 20 modes, and I never got them to do anything except high, fast-flicker, and low — always starting on high, with no memory. That batch went off to friends months ago.

Haven’t got the newest bunch going here yet (tried the first one in a P60 and now getting intermittent flakiness, got to clean something up or find a better host.
(the big copper coil makes these too big to fit into the ZeusRay driver space, until I find some extension rings for that — first time I’ve thought I should’ve gotten a hollow pill!)

The ones you link, LD30, are interesting, I’ll get a few of those to try.
I see LCK-LED also has the LD30: lck-led.com - Informationen zum Thema lck led.

I cant help you Hank as I dont have these drivers. I'd suggest to get the lights switches sorted and then see how you go. If they are no different it sounds like it would may be in the programming how sensitive they would be to switch presses.

Any suggestions for host?

I believe you have your threads mixed up Hank.

That was I thought. We are talking about flashlight using AAs.

Drivers aren’t limited to working only with one particular size — this driver works fine with any 1.2v cell.

The sellers refer to “one AA” drivers and that’s how to search for them — it’s the way they identify a driver that uses that voltage — 1.2 to 1.5 volts.

Sorry. My question was if there any good (and not expensive) host for 17mm driver using AAs.

http://www.dx.com/p/3w-5w-20-mode-regulated-circuit-board-for-flashlights-7880#.VhvGkhOqpBc

This particular driver (currently sold out at the link above, but maybe available elsewhere?) is about the best boost driver I've tried for 1AA.

There is a description there on how to change modes - may be useful for the comments earlier in this thread.

I am drawing over 3A from one eneloop @ 1.3V when fitted to a solarforce P60 dropin.

The only real issue is finding a decent AA host that will take 17mm drivers. It would work well for a P60 solarforce host running 4/3A cells as mentioned earlier.

I also fitted one to a billy lantern modded to take 8 AAs in parallel. Pulling well over 3A (that's from cells, not LED current) to power an XM-L mounted on a PC heatsink.

DBSAR has less luck - see here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31453

Hope that is useful for someone....

EDIT - has mode memory, none of this next-mode cr*p.

I just noticed that someone called hankr posted about problems with 4/3A cells and amber emitters in the DX comments for the 7880 driver. Perhaps a different hank, but perhaps not...

If your modes are not working correctly it could be the lower forward voltage of the amber emitter. Try putting a diode in-line with the emitter to raise the voltage a little. I had a similar issue when converting a couple of SK68s to red bike tail-lights and this solved the problem. (That was with the stock 3-mode driver, not this one.)

It's a cheap and easy experiment to test anyway.

I’ll move the posts about other size cells to a different thread somewhere.
Sorry to have digressed, leaving this for discussion of AA-size hosts

Thanks Steve! I can use this info.

I was in a supply store a few months back and a guy gave me a little cheap plastic AA light. Ever since, I have wanted to design and build some AA lights. I was wondering what I would use as a driver.

I personally find factory / mass produced drivers to usually be behind the curve in development. It seems like they are all stuck in the same functions / performance loop.

Thanks for the nice reviews!! TL