Review: FandyFire/SolarStorm K2

No flicker here. Was that a protected 26650? Didn’t try one of those…yet
Edit: works fine on TF Flame Protected 26650 for me. Seems like a snug fit lengthwise though.

It's happening with both the protected TF flame 26650 and unprotected King Kong. It's flickering on high, and I'm pretty sure there's no PWM on high.

Sounds like a contact issue. There is on PWM on high. I could not remove the tailcap to get at the spring, probably glued. That’s the first place I would look.
Edit: BTW, bezel is definitely SS, I removed it and did magnet check.

Added a new set of beam shots with mouseovers. The previous set of beam shots was at a location that made it really hard to see throw. This new site is a lot better and a lot closer to home, but it could use a better target for 100+ meters...and it'd be a hell of a lot better if the park didn't have skunks roaming around.

I should have brought the BLF A8 to compare, so I'll bring that the next time. I bet the throw will be very comparable to the Sky Eye F13 that I should be getting in the mail today.

Mine is flickering with Soshine 26650 protected. Works fine with 18650. I think it is a contact issue with spring. Tried heating tail cap to remove. No luck.

Yeah, that was a good idea. I hate doing it though. My crappy photography skills has me spending a LOT of time editing, and it's 36 shots to edit. Ugh.

I finished my review, and I also noticed the flickering issue. I think I know what it is; that small white ring on the driver positive plate.
I posted a couple of options for fixing it in my review.

I put a very small drop of solder in the center of the driver plate. No more flickering. Protected 26650 is too long. Battery gets crushed.

Darn it, I knew there was something else I was supposed to do during my modding session. I'm too tired to do more for now. Thanks for letting me know. I'm definitely doing to do that solder bump.

For protected cell users, try carefully scraping off the small white ring. Avoid gouging the copper layer too much. I think that will help and maintain the length for long cells.

Thanks a lot for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

Nice catch. I'm not 100% on that. To me it feels like a reverse clickie, although the hidden mode thing indicates electronic switch. Add in what the the manufacturer & vendor list it as, and I'm calling it a reverse clickie for now. I'll confirm for sure and update when I disassemble this light, unless relic38 gets to it before me. Actually, if it's an electronic switch, I would think there'd be parasitic draw. I'll try testing for that.

might grab this just for the fact that it fits a keeppower 26650!

thanks for the review!

I'm hoping this o-ring works. It's a bit thicker than the stock o-ring, but it's a bit smaller. Here's one that's a bit thinner. I've seen other lights use red o-rings, which I believe is Silicone S70 FDA Red. I don't know what the o-ring material Solarstorm used in their o-ring. Maybe PTFE.