Review: Jacob A60 XR-E thrower (1x18650) Pic Heavy

Don’t forget though, once your eyes adjust to the darkness, don’t forget to keep the hotspot pointing down range :smiley:

If you point it a the floor with dark adapted eyes… it hurts lol

Awesome thank you. Please let us know how it goes when you fit it, I’m very interested in the results

Thanks very much Rick :slight_smile:

Thank you JohnnyMac… I think this light will be right up your street…

It really does

:smiley: :smiley:

Great review. Most appreciated.

Great review, Spaz (is there an echo in here?)

How id you do those star graphics? Come to think of it, I’ve never known how to format for reviews.

Apologies for the late response guys, I had inadvertently turned off my subscription to this thread so I never spotted the replies.

Thank you to everyone who has offered words of kindness and support. I’m glad you enjoyed reading the review as much as I enjoyed writing it. :slight_smile:

@Rusty Joe… nothing special with the stars it’s just an embedded image. Also, yes I know what you mean, formatting can be very awkward especially when transferring across multiple boards and formats :smiley:

Thanks again to all

Spas

Thanks for sharing!
Those mouse-over pictures was very useful!

Thanks very much for the review! Frontpage’d and Sticky’d.

Received mine too. It was similarly packaged with tape all over bubble wraps but it came through safely. :bigsmile: Lens was a little dirty but I cleaned it. The hotspot was really tiny when I lighted it up in my room. I was surprised!

And… now to wonder what lens to get to make the hotspot more concentrated and throw even better. :smiley:

decided why not try ,dedomed the xr-e in my jacobs,wired to direct drive,.Strange thing using sanyo batts 2600mah,brand new today.The initial switch on is pure white then after a second or two changes to a bluish tinge.Using ultracrap 2600,the tint stays white.Pulls 3.2a on the sanyos and 2.1a on the ultracraps.Gets hot quickly on the sanyos.The centre spot is now a lot smaller with a secondary spill circle ,will know better when its dark.

awesome :smiley: the legend continues…

I did the whole direct drive de-domed XR-E and found the pinpoint tiny hot spot to be as close to useless and annoying as possible. Honestly it was fun seeing what it could do but really it’s not of any use that way to me. So I decided to go the opposite route with it. I de-domed a XML -U2 and drilled the hole in the reflector out to get the proper focus and now for the first time I actually like this light. It’s still direct drive so I might have to change that by putting a boost driver in. Zap it up to about 4amps and see what it does then.

great review spasmod!

i see there is new jacob A60 SKU here.

the head is bigger. any additional review?

any idea how is it compared to Small sun ZY-T08?

i would still like to see this dedomed xr-e beamshot so i can paste it on my wall :smiley:

is it just me, or is ‘new’ merely the addition of a charging kit?

Thanks guys

While the TN31 is much brighter I thought the Jacob did remarkably well. In fact I have a couple more pics of the Jacob against the TN31

Yes I can imagine it would be like that.. it's pretty much just a thrower but it does it well. I really hope you'll post some beamshots :D Thanks for sharing

Ps.. I'm fairly certain due to the good heatsinking design you would get a decent run on 4 amps before it gets too hot to hold lol

I would say it's the same light, it looks the same thought it would be pretty cool if they made one with a slightly larger reflector it would be quite awesome :D

[quote=islisis] is it just me, or is 'new' merely the addition of a charging kit? [/quote]

I think so too.

so detailed and useful reviews, i like the Jacob A60, but i prefer these mini flashlights which can be carried everyday, like ultrafire mini01

Just got mine today. wow this thing can hang with the XML throwers. It’s so pencil thin all the way out

I just received mine in the mail today and threw in a new battery. I live in a 2 story house on a golf course with plenty of open grass area, trees, buildings etc…. I CANNOT FIND THINGS FAR ENOUGH AWAY THAT THIS LIGHT CANNOT REACH. I literally have lit up everything within my view. I will have to find a new testing area and I NEVER thought that could happen! Seriously impressed for this little $14.70 light!

Congrats on your A60's guys. I'm happy to see your lights performing as well as mine did!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Spas

This is awesome thrower.

Recently I made new modification with XP-E2 driven at 3A…

I managed to perfectly center emitter and my light meter(7 meters distance) says:

390(×10×7×7) for almost 200KCD!!!

This results are correct as it shows 200 (100KCD) for my stock Nightmaster V2 aspheric.

But when I compare it with stock NMV2 it seems to throw same(or even little less) to my eyes

So it is not all in numbers… It is really important what we can see at night.

And I think lux/candela measurements for stronger lights should be taken at larger distances up to 200meters because reflector spreads hotspot part of the beam at larger distances while aspheric makes hotspot more concentrated and sharp.

I just got my A60 from Aurabuy. It was wrapped with bubble wrap and tape. There was no box, just placed inside a mailer packet. The tailcap had been removed to make it fit into the packet. It arrived safe, and undamaged. The lens is filthy though. Inside, the beam is ringy, but outside, it doesn’t matter. I’ve only had time to try it off my balcony,and was surprised when the beam crossed a really well lit street and illuminated an alley on the other side. This will be a good light for picking out far spaced marker buoys out on big water. XML creates to much spill on the water and destroys night vision.

I think you forgot to mention the lack of thermal paste in your “cons”. That will be the first thing I take care of.
Do XR-Es mount onto XM-L sinkpads? I know XP-E fits onto XP-G pads, but not sure about XR-E.

No - but, someone posted it will mount on a MT-G2 copper Noctigon: http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-mtg20-copper-mcpcb-2pcs-p-717.html

Not sure where to find, but might have posted results also - not much difference I think??