Review: Little Brass Beauty (18650 XP-G2 from FFL)

Funny. I think mine will be arriving today. After a Nichia 219 swap and Dr. Jones’ circuit, it will be a keeper… I hope.

FWIW, this is still one of my top favorite lights. After adding DC-Fix to the lens and giving it a 219B emitter and reflashing the driver, it’s just about perfect as far as 18650 lights go. That is, it’s the smallest 18650 light available and I like brass and it generally works well.

The stock driver doesn’t really leave room for an off-time capacitor, but it doesn’t matter much since there’s a brownout detection / memory decay trick which can be used to distinguish between short clicks and long clicks.

Anyone who wants to can use the firmware I keep on my brass light… it’s in my repository under ToyKeeper/s7/brass-edc.* . Just requires a couple tools to be able to reflash the driver. (what I’m using has 5 regular modes, 10 more special modes, and offtime no-mem)

Ugh. They sent me the AA (that I already have). Sigh. Maybe next month…

If I ever get around to building a driver for the brass AA light, I think it’ll probably be my favorite light. It’ll be like a L3 L10 only better. :slight_smile:

With the stock driver and emitter though… meh.

I know! You’ll have to let me know…

:slight_smile:

I want one of these so bad.. Especially after seeing the size comparison pic. I have several 18650 tube lights, a little smaller...in brass!... Would be nice.

Just checking. Do the XPG and XML models have the same reflector? Just with a different centring ring?

it this available as a host only? ive been searching and no luck.

Nope.

The XP-G2 version has good throw. A Convoy tube light usually has an XM-L2 sized emitter instead, which gets more lumens but less throw. Also, Convoy reflectors tend not to be optimized for throw as much as balance.

I don’t really care for the throw on these brass lights though; I put diffuser on the lens to spread out the beam and it’s still not as floody as I’d like. Regardless, it’s still one of my all-time favorites.

now i have knew about this,and i would tell to all my friends for this.really a valuable information you told here.thanks again
:slight_smile:

Seeing how slim that brass beauty is has pushed me over the edge. What’s the cheapest place to get one?

I think it’s BangGood…with a few points it can maybe be under 20€ ?

EDIT : just saw that BG doesn’t sell them anymore…

Is the brass beauty out of stock forever? Anybody knows similar subcompact 18650 FL models? :frowning:

Aw. That’s too bad. It fits a 17mm driver and (with some filing) a 20mm optic. Decent mod host.

I wouldn’t mind picking up another also.

The KD host that is similar is also out of stock - I PM’d the rep a few days ago, but have not received a reply.

What host, URL please?

The KD host is the same size as an S2+…
I think FT had some 18650 brass beauties…

http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S025768.KSH-C113-Brass-LED-Flashlight-Host-113mm-x-24mm-for-Cree-XP-L-Gold

Ahh, didn’t realize it was S2+ size. Was more interested in it for the brass aspect.