Review: Maratac Cu all copper AAA

Is that Copper-101 really what this is made of? I did not find that, curious to know how you found it.

Thanks for JonnyMac for the review, I am agree with his comments.

He do not mention tarnishing.
It may be a pro or con depending on your choice.

Copper will start to tarnish and change color. I do not like it, so I plan to polish it once a month.

I love this light but I cant pay $50-60 for it shipped to Aus.

I wish some Chinese manufacture started pumping out their own copper AAA and AA flashlights for $20 a piece, they would make a killing.

Great review. The photo of the Ganzo G707 made me cry.

All I heard was "blah, blah, blah, it's my birthday, blah, blah, blah..."

Happy Birthday, Cigar Johnny! Did you get anything good?

Thanks, Dave! Well, I got the Maratac, Ganzo G707, a 1/4" torque wrench and a Columbia fleece jacket. I have a couple other light emitting goodies I ordered for myself that haven’t arrived yet. :wink:

Says so right on the site:

• Flashlight body is machined of solid billet ultra conductive pure alloy 101 copper.

My AAA Cu just came in. Nice to see a tweaked version of the Worm current-controlled driver is now found in the Maratac.

JohnnyMac, do you know if output is still regulated perfectly flat like the Worm?

edit: thanks for the review, btw

Happy Birthday, thanks for sharing, nice review.
Oh man what a sexy light my birthday is coming up next month and I find myself drawn to this light. Any chance we can see a size comparison to a Tank or a battery or some other light we know the size of?

it is smaller than tank007 e06 (without extension tube) which is a very tiny light.
If you have sipik68 you will see it is very small in comparison.

+1 for Endtimesreport.
Very wellpacked and very fast delivery!

I do not have a light meter, but I can say it is constant brightness upto one hour with eneloop aaa.

JohnnyMac may also verify this.

I 100% don’t need it, but I still 100% ordered one.

Thank you so much

I ran one across my LED analyzer do-hickey (Any interest in a LED/Battery analyzer device?) and the output is very flat. There is a slight drop in light do to LED heating. Once the battery is depleted and the regulator runs out of steam, the temperature spikes up some and the light level starts falling off a cliff. I am repeating the run with a fresh, crappy Fry’s battery and I’ll post the plots later tonight.

Thanks for your observations fyesilova. I haven’t had mine long enough for anecdotal testing but I’m impressed (my first LED 1xAAA, not counting modded Solitaires). I’m glad these have decent electronics to back up the bling factor.
I await your test’s results, texaspyro.

Is there a reason everyone is using bold in this thread? :P Anyone else experiencing a glitch making everything bold?

YES! Thank you. I knew something was off but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

I just pm'ed Mr. Admin about this. Hopefully he will figure it out. :) Every other word is bold in my sentence.

Here are the results of the test on the Maratac copper. The battery was a poor quality Fry’s AAA. The center line of the plot area are the ref<…> values. The CURSOR values were where the light left regulation. The RED, GREEN, BLUE, WHITE curves are the percentage of light in those bands vs the sum of the RED/GREEN/BLUE bands. Note that they get a bit wonky once the light level falls off. This is due to sensor noise at very dim levels. Battery voltage and current were not monitored since there was no easy way to run the light with an external battery.

The light ran 48 minutes before dropping out of regulation. The lumens dropped 10% over that time. Note the increase in temperature once the driver can no longer regulate the current and strains to keep the LED lit.