Review: MaxToch Mission M12

Interesting... Yes - looks like the driver and main components and layout match up. Not surprising - MaxToch is wayyy behind in the electronics end in my opinion across the board in all their products. Also, since they apparently have been an OEM manufacturer for a while, they could have designed/built the earlier TR-3T6 and STL-V6 lights, and simply are stamping MaxToch on their drivers now, or sub-contracted out the drivers and still are using the same sources.

maybe you could tell them to switch to plastic reflector just like Fenix… it can work wonderful if it design right and not too mention it probably will save some money in the manufacturing process which then, you could pass the savings to consumers like us here at BLF :bigsmile:

This type of design work can be tedious with little reward. So hat’s off to the guy for giving it his best shot. I like the looks of the deeper reflector, can’t wait to give it a go…

Similar head design to STL-V6 in terms of looks. Similar driver. Reflector on STL-V6 is a bit deeper than HD2010, so it seems like they just used that as well.

To me it just seems like they used a lightly upgraded STL-V6 (SN-6X2 in Maxtoch language) without hollow head, and put a 26650 tube on it

Here is a picture of an ultrafire light from 2011.3 years ago... 18650 edition.. :p It could also run from two 18350 cells.

All of these lights are based on STL-V6. Its not rocket science to take lights that you already sell, and that been on the market for a long time and mostly change the tube and some other minor improvements and put a Maxtoch logo in them..

That is the issue with Maxtoch as a brand. Their lights are mostly like good ultrafire lights. But Maxtoch lights are more expensive than the well made ultrafire lights.

Another example of the general pricing of maxtoch is that they sold Roche F8 with Maxtoch brand. But at a much higher price than Roche F8. I never saw it cheap. Here you can buy Maxtoch branded Roche F8 for 78$. Roche is around 30$ and with tint and driver options. And closer to 20$ on sale. About 70% discount for a similar quality light.

Just to give another example with a link. Here is a Maxtoch light. TA6X9. 42$. Branded as Ultrafire it costs around 25$. I picked up one for 10$ at sale from WB. Ok, the light I bought were more like a clone with lesser quality threads and such, but its roughly 97% the same light with a 80% discount compared to Maxtoch.

Here is a nice Maxtoch light on sale. Only 217$. Anyone in for a GB at 200$? lol.. Some might recognize it...

Maxtoch does deserve some credit on the M12. But at the end of the day, their lights are mostly typical budget lights at a price point more on level with highly discounted premium lights that actually are unique designs and use unique driver circuits. Not mostly just clones and remakes. Im not sure if Maxtoch latest lights are proper designs by them, or just OEM lights that they buy with exclusive rights or something, and that they put nicely together. But today there are many budget quality lights that gets put together nicely. I consider Maxtoch to be like Convoy but with a 100% price increase for similar quality. That is how I see them, no offence to anyone..

Oh, I should mention Solarstorm as something like a Maxtoch rival too. Only Solarstorm is way cheaper too.

Speaking about Solarstorm. Anyone want a Solarstorm with Maxtoch brand? I dont know the price.. But id guess it comes with a premium markup like most lights with Maxtoch logo on them. I could probably find 10+ different budget brands that is also being sold as Maxtoch with 40-250% price increase.

I like the M12, but I cant help think that it would cost 25-39$ if it came branded as a Convoy, Roche, Blackshadow, Solarstorm, Original Ultrafire, Original Fandyfire etc....

The MAXToch SN6X-2X is one of the best finished lights in my nearly 60 light collection. It’s anodization is superb, fit and finish surpassed by none I’ve seen, including $400 OLights. It still represents one of the best deals on a light that I’ve gotten at $59 in the group buy (if I’m remembering that correctly)

The MAXToch SN51 with SST-50 emitter is also in the top build category. An excellent light in it’s own right, smaller than the 6X-2X with a large finned head and a massive brass pill like none I’ve seen.

Say what you will, the MAXToch’s I’ve bought have been well worth the money, hands down.

+1

Nice touch with the Monster Flashlight link, but no "offence" taken. Nice helpful comments, thanks so much. This is the 2nd review ending up like this... I'm done with reviews - I'll leave it to the experts Smile.

Tom, this review got me hounding Amanda for my own copy. :slight_smile:

Nice pics, nice work on the breakdown. And we want to hear the rest of the story… how does it handle an MT-G2 at 12A? :stuck_out_tongue:

JK, I’m prolly the only one cramming MT-G2’s in everything. This one needs a de-domed XM-L2 U2 1A and some juice…

Nooo. Dont say that.. Im feeling guilty for your reaction now.. :(

Ill try to behave.. :X

Here, grab a :beer:

Everybody likes your reviews!

I have even showed interest for the light after you review. Just not a fan of Maxtoch pricing..

Tom E. You need a disclaimer in your signature line. It fixed all the hassles I was having.

Pssst… you might want to get your hands on Warsun light at much cheaper price and you find it provide better value :wink:

The review is awesome Tom. :beer: . the light that is questionable :wink:

My SN-6X is doing 365Kcd, I’m not complaining.

Thanks for such detailed job. Even for me, it is the first time to find out so many websites with MAXTOCH lights…

Just a little bit disappointed when our efforts are underestimated. :weary:

Anyway, agree with disagree. Have fun! :beer:

Hey Tom, your reviews have been very helpful to us too. Our engineers adopted advice from you to improve our lights—-very helpful. You know some of my colleagues are not good English speaker. I translated your reviews word by word into Chinese. You may not realize before that your words are spreading in the other end of earth… H)

Anyone who wants an M12, the lights can be found at Direct Price Tag for $67.50. These are probably the first run ones. Have no idea how this retailer operates though.

Sorry all, appreciate all the kind words. My bad - I'm still working on the M12 mod, but going slow finding time. trying a resistor mod, added a copper disc under the pill top, and am securing the copper star with screws, tapped. Initially keeping the stock driver and domed emitter, but ultimate mod would be a FET based driver and de-domed, but I got a few 300+ kcd throwers, so I like the bigger hot spot and higher lumens of a domed XM-L2, personally. 120-150 kcd would be fine for me, and thinking I might get there with this light.

Also, I realize this seems like a STL-V6 head, not sure if the reflector size match's this reflector I.D., but it's better than the HD2010/T08, or even the Yezl Y3. I'm confused about the finish - the 1st gen 2X was superb, but sounds like the 2nd gen is even better - didn't get a 2nd gen., so not sure. The M12 is definitely not as good as the 1st gen 2X - I'm a little disappointed there, and also for not pointing it out, again though, I'm a bad judge of this and not familiar with the manufacturing techniques. Bottom line to me is how it handled dings, scratch's, scrapes and I just dunno how to gauge that without damaging lights equally under lab conditions to evaluate damage.

Hello Amanda

I would not worry about occasional negative comments with the Maxtochs. You can have a well made light that will be ideal for one client and perhaps not suit someone else who wants to mod to a certain spec. And you will always get differences in taste/preference - that’s normal. In fact a sound criticism can be very valuable as you continue product development.

Personally am very impressed with the maxtochs - having tested the SN6X-2, 2X, 2S, M24 etc very thoroughly on bench and in field. I would echo Krono’s thoughts - wish I’d found these lights years earlier as would have saved me buying alot of cheap junk.

Your feedback from those who buy and use the maxtochs is very good. They’ve become a favourite hunting/outdoor light in my country (NZ) with many hundred sold here. There is no objection to the price and I also don’t mind paying a little more for a high quality, high performance torch.

As a marketer I think your product positioning of Maxtoch in the low to medium price category is bang on. They offer alot of value for the buck with their out-of-the-box performance, and they certainly mod very well.

Alot of happy customers out there now….question is - many want to know when will you do new batches of M24s, M12s, 2Xs etc?

Thank you mudgripz. We will continue improving our design.

M12 Mission is already available. Sniper M24 seems sold much faster than we expected… The production is running. I’ll let you know when the production is finished.

Thanks again to everyone.

I ended up installing a BLF17DD driver in the M12 - it's under performing at over 6A, so I suspect it's not a direct thermal path MCPCB. Have to tear it apart, remove the emitter to verify. Based on how it's reacting and performing, there's something inhibiting better performance. Not to say in stock form in the 3A to 4A it performs exceptional, but pushing it higher there's definite signs of lag. The meter picks up a 120-170 lumens drop within the first second - sure sign of heat sag.

Amanda - could you confirm this? Not sure when I can get to this.