Review of Charger ThruNite MCC-4

Well, I’ve been hesitating and now I see the Fenix ARE-C2 charger was just announced….at about the same price point as this one. Guess I might wait until there are some review of it and the XP4 before I jump on one.

Patience isn’t one of my strong suits…

Very nice thermal imaging, like seeing that! I am not electronic minded or trained. I can get a general idea from the charts and graphs but when it comes to good vs. better it’s difficult for me to weed out the minor differences.

How do you think this charger compares to the SoShine S1 Max Ver 3.0? I have Maha chargers for my NiMh cells, so am not interested in the multi-chemistry function. But to have a second 4 bay charger might be pretty nice.

I got a laptop battery for pulls and the cells were down to around 2.01V. While my SoShine charged them, it was making quite a bit of heat doing it. With my IR gun I measured around 114º at the top of the charger next to #1 cell, and the cell was also warming up because of this, with #2 cell slightly less and so on. There is no way for the heat from the toroid inductors to escape, so I laid out a pattern and drilled 171 1/16” holes in the top panel. It runs much cooler now! But I still lay a small aluminum heat-sink w/fan from a computer processor on top if I have heavy use to go (as in more than 1 set of batteries to charge)

Would you recommend getting another SoShine or backing up the one I have with this Thrunite?

Thanks for the information, very much appreciate/rely/ and depend on your work. :slight_smile:

I suppose you mean 114ºF, i.e. 46ºC

The S1 Max has a lower termination current, i.e. it will fill slightly more energy in the batteries. This makes it the best 18650 charger.

But if you also want to play with other LiIon battery sizes, the MCC-4 wins.

Ah, that’s good to know! Of course I have just about all the other sizes of Li-ion as well as several different chemistries, from IMR10440’s to LiNiMnCo and Moli cells. Even a few 32650’s in the standard Li-ion chemistry. So, yes, it would be a good back-up to the SoShine, or possibly push the SoShine into the back-up slot. :wink:

And yes, sorry, I did mean Fahrenheit as that’s what we use. I reckon I’d have had a problem if my Li-ion charger was hitting 114 degrees Celsius.

Thank you, really appreciate you taking the time.

Basically I was concerned about charging over 4.25V, so I ran a test. Hot of the charger I'm getting these termination voltages:

18650:

1. 4.249V

2. 4.23V

3. 4.242

4. 4.265 Note: after an hour the cell voltage dropped to 4.250V. And all the other cells also slightly decreased voltage as well.

26650:

1. 4.257V

2. 4.242V

For chargers HKJ recommended a max termination voltage of 4.25V... [quote=HKJ] The charger does a good CC/CV charge curve with a good termination current, but it charger to 4.28 volt, not 4.20 volt (Maximum 4.25 volt), this is not good. [/quote] from Efest LUC V4 review

numbers look good to me, rounded they're ~4.25V, within spec!

nice charger :)

It looks like the charger is overcharging a little bit to much.

If anyone is on the fence about this charger it's a good one. It costs about $40. I have 4 other chargers and they cost me about this much, when all along I could of had this.

Pros:

1. You can charge Ni-MH and Li-ion cells at the same time

2. positive review from HKJ. (see his conclusion above)

3. Display tells you the voltage while charging. Displays in two significant digits e.g. 4.2V

4. 4 bay charging is awesome... I wouldn't want to go back to charging a single cell at a time.

Cons:

1. To see the screen you have to view it at a certain angle, otherwise it appears blank.

2. As a safety precaution, plug in charger first then install cells. Otherwise you could be charging at an output you didn't expect.

3. Not recommended for 10440 Li-ion's. The 0.5A charge current too high.

4. When charging four cells can get hotter than ideal temp.

Where to buy: iLLs, OGS, Amzn, eBay

Ali, Akk (Finland)

Thanks for the review, but it looks like its overcharging by more than just a little. With so many other chargers that do a better job, I wouldnt consider buying this one.

This is a FANTASTIC charger! I bought one 2 weeks ago and it functions superbly. I have a Nitecore i4 which was my principal charger. It works very nicely but it uses LEDs to provide its information. Highly recommended though expensive.

Has anyone ever taken one of these apart? One of the tabs on anode side has pushed in and I need to take it apart but don't see any screws or means to do so other than prying the sides open.

Thx!,

Tim