Review: Pictorial - Old-Lumens Mag-Lite 3D

Wow great Pics Foy and full credit to Old Lumens. That is a beautiful light.

Thanks Foy! Excellent pictures, and Justin, awesome work!

Rezolution -

I set them down very slowly and carefully but my main defense is simple; if you gently place a flashlight on an abrasive surface and it comes away scratched, that light has poor ano. One day I'm going to video me rolling a black L2P over these same cinder blocks, to demonstrate how a properly anodized light shrugs off abuse. I can use a black L2P almost like a rolling pin on cement and it will usually come away without a single mark. The colored ones are not so resilient and the silver scratches very easily. There's a video somewhere of a guy whacking the crap out of an L2P, or maybe it was an L2X, with a serrated knife, dozens of times with nary a scratch.

The only light I've ever scratched on that wall is my newly naked 980L. In fact, all of the lights I've stripped can be scratched with a fingernail or even a calloused hand sometimes but quality anodization should not scratch when lightly placed on anything.

Also, you're not the first to comment about it and it is something I think about.

anotestFoy

Beautiful pics as usual Foy!

And of course some awesome work by Old-Lumens!

Ano test Foy… Not Paint Test, LOL, paint will scratch.Wink

I like the cinder block background. It kind of makes the lights look.... tougher. Of course, being it's Las Vegas, you could find a model to hold the lights.Tongue OutEmbarassed

Yeah right. At my age/looks, no model will give me the time of day. There was a time . . .

reminisceFoy

Oh, Foy - Age = Money… The older you get, the more money you need.Money Mouth

(laughing)

Ain't it the truth.

(still laughing)

What made me think the opposite was true when I was younger? I used to think, "old guy, sits around, eats soup . . . how much can a worn out sweater cost?" I had no idea I would be swamped with an obsession that could potentially bankrupt me.

danghobbiesanywayFoy

Beautiful craftsmanship, Justin!!

Dont we all love those funny dialogues between old flashlight-addicts? :D

I have to say that is a really sweet maglite. And cuts or de-anodizing isn't even my normal taste.

Every time I see these pics, the light keeps getting better-looking.

I think O-L has bridged the gap from Craftsman to Artist.

how will you know if your battery is fully charged does the color of the charger's light turn to red or something ?

Jerome:

Posting in the battery sub-forum (AA) will get you a quicker response to your question. But it depends on what charger you have. If it's the Sanyo 4 bay that sometimes comes with eneloops, the led flashes green while charging, stays on green when charging is complete.

And welcome to BLF

It's good to have you here, Jerome Muego.

An absolutely breathtaking light.

Some of the custom ML’s i have seen are just way to over board , not a good look when its an over sized light.
This one had me at the first pic…That is truly a work of art. Its hard to believe you can get glass like polish without
a polishing machine…Buy, one of the nicest Mags i have seen… There’s a guy on CPF, makes SST-50 x3 drop-ins ….

Another beautiful light. I think there should be a gallery for Justin’s creations but on second thought it might be overwhelming. Shown one at a time by their owners really sets them apart. BTW, I thought Foy was taller. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s labor of love right there!

O-L,

how do you make groves w/o a machine?

Good question, I know it has been answered before, but you need to do a little search, but I’m pretty sure it’s in 1 of his first threads.