Review: Shadow JM05 2 x 26650

I could not get more than 1.15 on King Kongs, no matter what state of charge they were in. And, this is the same DMM that measures 4.78 amps from a 980L. I bought this light with the specific intention to do a driver swap but even so, was disappointed by the seemingly low current draw.

Jeff -

Thanks for correcting me on the IPX rating. The "IP65" confused me; I didn't know whether to go with IPX-6 or 5 so I guessed 6 because I saw other IO lights that were 6. My bad, will edit. Also, others have reported their JM05 having dual o-rings at both ends too. Guess I just got "lucky."

Erik has my JM05 right now and I can't wait to see what this thing can do when pushed a little.

Foy

No worries and thanks for the great review, Foy.

My King Kong's are marked (XSL) if that makes a difference. I also have one without the (XSL) marking, but I didn't use it for testing. It's labeled INR26650E, while the (XSL) marked cells are labeled ICR26650E. I searched but couldn't find a description of the difference. Does anyone here know?

Update: After searching for general info rather than specifically 26650 or King Kong, it seems ICR cells are the typical Lithium Cobalt and INR cells are (maybe) Lithium Nickel Cobalt Manganese. From what I've read, the INR cells are lower capacity than ICR cells, but they support a much higher discharge rate. I also read that INR cells suffer when charged to greater than 4.1v (the article stated that the cycle life is reduced from 800 to 300 cycles).

So, based on limited research, INR seems to perform somewhere between ICR and IMR, maybe. This is all speculation on my part. Please correct any mistakes.

I wasn't able to find out anything useful about the XSL designation.

Foywhat are the dimensions of the pill?

How2 -

My JM05 is with E1320 right now so, I can't measure but it might be 1.25 inches tall and maybe 1.5 inch in diameter? I'm guessing so . . . YMMV

Jeff -

Hey, I was wondering the same thing! I have 7 King Kongs from two different orders, both from IO. 4 are INR and 2 are ICR with (XSL) above the 4000mAh. I had no idea they were a slightly different chemistry. And, 800 down to 300 duty cycles is significant, especially since my Solarforce charger regularly charges to 4.22 or 23.

If true, your findings are very helpful.

thankyouFoy

Has this light been discontinued? It no longer appears on CNQG.

Purchased mine about September last year, no mode memory.

My favourite larger light.

Here ya go . . .

http://www.intl-outdoor.com/shadow-jm05-t6-2x26650-850lm-flashlight-p-301.html

Looks like they have 8 left.

Foy

I never looked there, just CNQG, where I bought originally.

Thanks foy

How2 -

My pill is 27mm diameter x 19mm.

Foy -

I got most of the information from this post (great source if you're curious about the different types of lithium ion cells):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?203788-Lithium-Ion-Categories

Still nothing about XSL. I've seen that on King Kong and UltraFire batteries, though the UF's may have been knock offs.

You've piqued my curiosity. I just PM'd E1320. :)

I was mixing two different chemistries - had no idea. Yeah, guess you could say I'm interested.

Foy

Foy -

I don't mean to hijack this thread with battery talk, but out of curiosity I ran a couple charge/discharge cycles on those King Kong batteries and the variances were very minor. I used a 4Sevens 47U1012S v3 charger (ending ~ 4.18v) and a Triton v1 discharger (drawing 2.5A from each cell until voltage dropped below 3.0v). Cells were charged and discharged individually.

Average voltages were nearly identical throughout the discharge (ending with a slight lead for INR, at 3.47v average, compared to ICR at 3.45v average). The capacities were are also very close (ICR with a slight lead this time: 4166mAh, vs. the INR at 4015mAh). Considering these are both rated 4000mAh at 2.75v cut-off, those are very respectable numbers.

Jeff

No hijack at all, I appreciate it. So, basically, the difference is not a big deal.

goodtoknowFoy

I want to buy you a nice towel

Seeing these lovely flashlights on gritty concrete is like chewing sand ..it hurts just to look

I had already looked at this light and decided to pass on it, I have the JM07 Pro and since by their description it's not any brighter?? I really didn't see the point in buying this one, doesn't seem to offer anything I already have in the JM07 Pro. Yes it has 2 batteries so probably runs longer, but the run time on my JM07 is just fine; am I missing something here?

It's another flashlight, what's to miss? Smile

I agree with you, but 'he who dies with the most toys wins!' as a wise man once said...

I think this is one of the oldest 26650 designs, the oldest seems to be the JM07 (not the JM07-Pro).

It runs longer with 2 batteries of course.

The reflectors are different. Maybe Foy could compare the two reflectors side by side, also inside (coating) and take some photos?

Yes I can always "use" another light :) but it just seems not to have anything to catch my eye that the JM07 Pro already has. I like the size, weight, look, runtime & brightness of the JM07 Pro, So yes when Foy posted about it I went back and looked at it againing thinking I missed something....guess not.

You know, going back and looking at the review OP's, besides the SMO on the JM05 and the OP on the JM07, it looks like the JM07 is driven harder too. Tailcap measurements:

JM05 - 1.15a
JM07 - 2.45a

So the JM07 should be brighter, but that comes at the expense of run time.

Interesting observation about the JM07 Pro being driven harder, I guess IF I absolutely had to have more run time I'd look a little harder at it. Don't know, except that the JM07 Pro feels really good in my hand and works very well and it's nice and bright; I don't really think I could ask for anymore in this light, completely satisfied.

JM05 and JM07 are driven at about the same amperage. The different readings are because the JM05 has twice the voltage with 2 batteries. JM05 also has a bigger reflector.

My JM05 is with E1320 right now getting a new driver so, I will do a side-by-side when it comes back. E says it is way bright at 3 amps. My intention all along was to review the JM05 stock and then again following some erikmagic.

Even bone stock however, the JM05's larger (and deeper) reflector, not to mention near double the run-time from 2 x 26650s, longer, heavier . . . ? I'm not sure a JM05 is cross-shopped with a JM07 but as I predicted, the JM07 is quickly becoming a favorite, and for good reason.

I just thought a light as burdensome as the JM05 should have a little compensating performance.

weshallseeFoy