Review: SKY*RAY G6 Stainless Steel XP-G R5 18650 Flashlight

Just ordered this light today from Manafont. I'll be using Trustfire flames.. hoping that still gets me a bright G6...

The light only draws about 1 amps so the flames will do fine.

I received the "other" light. Unfortunately, with Trustfire flames, it goes out when I tighten the head completely. It looks like it flexes the circuit board. I have to either loosen the tail cap or keep the head loose. Anybody else had this issue?

I will make 2 suggestions:

1. Bias the switch a little further out. Remove the lock-ring and turn the switch out a turn or 2 (1/2-1mm). Replace the lock ring making sure the switch doesn't turn with it. You can see if you made progress by measuring the depth of the lock ring. At some point you will compromise the oring seal. Just be aware of this.

2. You might have broken an internal solder joint between the pill and the driver. You might try soldering the brass ring to the board to get a new electrical connection. You might use some wire to bidge the gap, but don't let the solder build up to tall. Excess solder can be removed with a hobby knife.

Soldering the pill will be much easier if you disassemble the pill and remove the brass ring. Unfortunately, this often means you might damage the driver. ...which isn't all bad, because then you can put in the NANJG 101-AK 1.4A driver :p ...point being that making a solder connection to the brass ring is much easier if the aluminum pill isn't there heatsinking the ring.

I have had that issue with my Trustfire F15. I had to cut a few coils off of the tail spring and that seemed to fix it for awhile.

The switch position is adjustable. As Be-Seen Triker said, you just need to back the switch out a bit.

I found that after taking mine apart (for cleaning and general curiosity (a standard procedure for new lights)) the switch could be installed too deep for the protected cells. having the switch a little further out allows me to fit even the 18700 cells, and makes the switch more accessible.

Definitely do this instead of cutting the spring, because the spring is of the type that collapses relatively flat (only 1 wire thickness overlap at most), there will be minimal thickness gains vs loss of range/pressure.

Mine came today, exactly 15 days after I ordered it from MF. Nice light, but I am going to have to adjust the switch position, it is too tight for the Hi-Max 2600 I put in it. Worked great the first try, but then later when I turned it on it was flickering and changing modes randomly.

Lots of light and a huge hotspot on this thing, I like it.

Troop, you might add a solder connection to the brass ring in the pill and the driver while your in there. You probably cracked the internal solder joint. This will require a pretty hot iron since the aluminum pill is there to suck up the heat.

The battery limitation really is a shortcoming of this light. At least it is correctable.

I'm using a non-protected 18650 with this light and no issues, in-fact I have one of these Panasonics that I bought off of this Forum and it works great.

I don't see any solder on the visible part of the pill or even a way to remove it. Seems to be working OK now, I think I will leave it alone.

Well.. after more than 3 weeks it finally arrived. I get the awesome 'starts on the next mode' driver. This is supposed to be a gift (bought for a friend who is giving it as a gift) and is totally unacceptable. It's worse than no memory at all. I might be completely done with MF. Slow delivery and defective product.

Mine has no memory, always starts on High.

Well.. I guess it just shows how worthless the Sky Ray brand is. I'm tired of pretending to feel like we should be grateful for whatever product these budget manufacturer's put out, regardless of the condition. I'm not made of money and can't absorb these kind of defects and carry on. We wait several weeks for our purchases from these Chinese websites and many of us end up with these duds and we're supposed to just suck it up and accept it as the natural order of things. Okay, count me as pessimistic... and annoyed.

hmmm..... what's the appropriate emoticon......... (that's supposed to be a foot in the mouth i guess)

anyway, I let it cool down for a while and then I come back and try it out some more and lo and behold.. it works... kind of. For the life of me I don't understand why it works now. I was operating it correctly before. I waited the appropriate amount of time for the mode memory to kick into affect. I tried it several times and would wait even longer just in case I wasn't waiting long enough. Now all of a sudden it works... kind of. I just don't get it. Anyway, it still doesn't have the mode memory I was led to believe it would have (according the Manafont description itself). For that reason I still consider it broke. I suppose for now I won't make any more conclusions just in cause it decides not to work even worse :P So does anyone know why it would behave this way?

if you hold budget lights to the standards of more expensive lights, you're going to be disappointed sometimes. there's a reason why you can get an xpg r5 and a stainless body all for $20. i think it's pretty much implied that the drivers or the switches will be iffy on a few of these and that YMMV.

regarding the modes , IDK if you guys have different models. the modes are very simple.

even though every single torch i have is different. kinds drives you a bit nuts

this one is h-m-l-strobe-sos obviously. to utilize the memory you have to have it on for a sec then leave it off for 6+ seconds or so, try it make sure yours are the same

PROS - i wont say all the things i like about this light - just a reiteration of the above

CRITICISMS are:

- this needs a spring in the front - i can get modes to change by giving it a shake - not good. this is with an 18650 LiFePO4 not sure how it compares to some 18700's and if there are longer 18650s that are too tight

-the light has a less than perfect contact in the head,i assume. havent pulled it apart yet BUT
if i squeeze the top portion by the driver/pill it is as bright as it should be. this is intermittent. havent had a chance to fix this - gotta be a bad connection to the body

- had another small thing i forgot lol. it could use a deep pocket carry clip. lately i kinda want clips and lanyards on all my torches and knives for the most part.

no go.. it starts on high regardless of how much time I leave it on and off. This flashlight has no mode memory. I'm not new to budget flashlights, but I guess I don't have the tolerance for defective product even it's tagged as "budget." If that's the case then they might as well label it as "bag o' crap" like woot.com. A product isn't supposed to be "budget" because it may or may not work. That's called gambling. I'll accept what I've been given but that doesn't mean I give them a pass.

that sux

i would tell them - id like to see what they do

thats the problem with HK/China sellers , i had one company tell me to ship back a blown $3.50 torch . i will stick with solarforcesales they are a premium budget retailer lol. even though i still like DX and MF. of note SFS order arrived within 2 weeks , had a bad switch - replaced immediately by them.

everything else is a crap shoot

I emailed them last night, but I told them I'm not going to wait around 2 months to get it replaced. So I don't expect a replacement. It was more of a frustration email. I keep telling my coworker the light will be arriving any day now and it finally gets here and this is what I'm treated to: a poorly packaged, semi-working flashlight. It's just annoyance and frustration is all. It's not the end of the world

On the SkyRay, you an adjust the tightness of the battery against the pill by messing with the aluminum ring at the exterior of the tailswitch. If it's like mine, you still won't end up with mode memory, but the battery should seat properly.

I understand what you mean, but then if I buy a Hyundai - budget car next to a Lexus - I still expect the radio to keep my presets ;)

I actually fault MF more than I do the manufacturer. I do think $20 is a steal (no pun intended) for this flashlight, but that doesn't give a retailer like MF a free pass. We, as the consumers, are the ones who allow these retailers to keep peddling defective products when we accept things as "lottery" when it either works properly or doesn't. It sounds like I'm blowing this out of proportion and I really don't mean to. It's just a convenient outlet for me to vent the frustrations I've already had pent up

I still think this is a sweet light and I'm glad it at least starts on high. Although I don't think I'll be getting one for myself. I want to see those darn Shadow models that are allegedly coming any day now!