[REVIEW] Sofirn C8A "XP-L2 2,000 lumen Hot Rod" (XP-L2, 1x18650) (Pictures, Beamshots, etc.)

What’re the chips in each? L vs L2 might have different Vf and would draw more/less current if FET-driven.

C8A = XP-L2
C8T = XLP HI

Here is the link to the driver they sell (claiming it is used for both lights- and confirmed by QiDong this morning via email to me):

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Sofirn-New-C8A-C8T-Driver-2-Groups-Circuit-Board-Anti-reverse-LED-Driver-Chip-mode-memory/2933049_32834504322.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.71bc1196NaHk4v

Well there ya go, 2 different chips.

Think the L2 is the flip-chip, no?

Yes, you actually confirmed this for me months ago when I was buying some for “de-doming”. You reminded me there were indeed “flip” style and needed shaving instead. (and thanks again ;).

I have three XP-L2s shaved down and on the MCPCB- I just need to finish C8F #2 to compare to the first C8F build I did (where I used the XP-L2s with their domes on).

Then I ALSO have XPL (V6) leds to also shave, and last some XPL HIs on the way from KD.

So in the end I’ll have FOUR C8Fs built with four different leds— then I start a new post with the whole enchilada. :stuck_out_tongue:

And… I have a C8T ALSO on the way… so I’ll be able to compare it to the C8A when I get it.

I just went to sofirn store and looked again . The A is a XP L2 and the T is a XP LHi. Aren’t they the same except for the dome .

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sofirn-C8A-Tactical-LED-Flashlight-18650-Powerful-1750-lumen-Flash-light-Cree-XPL2-High-Power-Torch/32838475029.html

I was confused on this too Pennzy… but the XLP (x) is the older stuff, while the XP-L2 is the newer. But Cree didn’t release an XP-L2 in the “HI” as they instead (I guess) went to the XHP format.

I am probably wasting time playing with the XP-L2s (shaved even) as the older XPL stuff in the HI is WAY better at throw (than anything in it size AFAIK). But the older XLP (when shaved/DDed) is also said to have as good of output as the XPL-HI. (and it’s cheaper by the led than the HI with “higher” binning too). I am just trying them all :sunglasses:

What is an XLP? Shouldn’t it be XPL? What I think is going on is the XPL dedomed is the XPL HI and the XP L2 was never factory dedomed. XP L2 is lower Vf than XPL or XPL Hi. Now if that doesn’t confuse the bejesus out of us.

I am definitely not an EE but just an electronics enthusiast.
The driver both on the A and T models are the same.

I have reviewed both of them and indeed the current draw is lower in the C8T. As Lightbringer said, the Vf on the XPL Hi is significantly more than on the XPL2 used in the C8A. A higher Vf indicates that an emitter introduces a higher impedance in the system and hence a lower current draw from the FET.

Since I now own all three of the models (A, T and F), I am going to provide an outdoor beamshot comparison in the near future :slight_smile:

My lexdisia is kickin’ in this AM— sorry, I meant “XPL”

AFAIK… your statement above (on the great XLP confusion issue) is dead on accurate.

Then, next is whether you can de-dome or (have to instead) shave them! SO with the old XPL you can do EITHER method— but with the XP-L2 (flip chip design), you can only shave VERY close down to the “yellow stuff” (high-tech answer eh?)

Or… better yet- what Bilakos10 said… :+1:

I am looking forward to your review Bilakos10! I was going to do the same when I got around to it. But perhaps I can show the different shaved versions of mine instead. What leds did you use in the C8F build btw?

By Joe, I think we have it. :smiley: I just added that driver to a Convoy C8 with a XM L2 and it is holding up to lite duty so far . Brighter than it was with 8x7135 by a noticeable amount.

I got the regular C8F which comes with the Neutral White XP-Ls.
Wasn’t in the mood of getting the host-only option as the end result would be the same.

The only ‘mod’ that I have done on all of my Sofirns is replace the factory spring bypasses, as the factory ones tend to tail quite easily (due to the thin wiring that tends to get unsoldered)

Cool, I look forward to your feedback on the stock Sofirns… and I’ll get my “modded” lights up for comparison too.

Ooh, I like enchiladas.

Well, I tested the “clean shaven” XP-L2 (v5s) in my second C8F build and I have to say I like the razor. :smiley: Throw is better (as expected) but with the size of the reflectors for each LED in this light— the throw is never going to be a “wow factor”. Still… VERY usable out to 200 yards and (still) plenty of side light. With the shave, the XP-L2s also warmed up a bit of course— and I LIKE IT!

De-doming or shaving an led for this host seems the way to go IMO because I see a better balance of flood and throw for where this light is a fit for me- hunting (with shorter run times) out to target distances IN A SMALL C8 form-factor fitting my gun without adding a lot of weight to it (as I hunt on the go using shooting sticks and a short, bright light for fast shots). So I am VERY happy with the final result here. BUT I also am wondering if my next two builds will still get me another 50 yards or so of throw?

So as I continue these builds (plagued by parts delays as most modders here well know) :weary: I plan next to mount shaved XLP (V6s) in build #3, and XLP- HI (V3s) in build #4. My whole pursuit with the C8F (and buying SIX hosts) was to test different LEDs on a good driver (Lexel’s TA NarsilD) and see what I got for my gun. The original idea was ONE light for ALL hunting scenarios I would encounter within 200 yards. So as this shaved (#2) build is doing that well— I’m happy. :sunglasses:

But IF I can do better (with the older XLPs in their highest bins I could find), I’ll certainly let you all know. :beer: I don’t have any test gear, but I’ll do my best to post pics (and full stats on each light) when I get them done.

Then I’ll keep a pair for hunting and gift the other pair to my dad-in-law and his brother who started salivated at seeing my first build last month when they were passing by. I helped them get their luggage out of the truck (after evening, when they arrived for an over-night). Both being engineers, they each played with the C8f (and my KD 8.2 in an XHP50.2) for a few minutes then the questions started coming. Then the POWER went out (with SIX of us in the house!) and I whipped out my other led lights and put a ceiling bounce in each of six rooms while the wife put out candles and the place looked like a palace! Even the little SP10A was working the bedrooms/baths.

We kept sippin’ wine and whisky another hour while everyone eventually put in their order for one of those, “little amazing lights!” :heart_eyes: - good thing EA had their anniversary sale the next week— and Sofirn HAD the deals! (Thanks Qidong!!!) :+1: :beer:

So a happy ending: The engineer dads (and muggle moms) will all get a light at the re-union in a few months. Dad’s already buying AAs from IKEA for his wife (so she doesn’t “burn down the house with an 18650”), and he’ll get his C8F with a couple of 30Qs which he’ll religiously maintain and play with for years.

Is there a way in this flashlight to change step down time from High to Medium mode from 3 to 5 min or such? Or auto step down, cool for a few min, and step up again?

I would believe that requires a driver change… however, I’m not sure which driver option has the features you mentioned… maybe someone can help here.
(stepdown then stepback up when it has cooled down would likely have a thermal regulation and firmware that has that feature)