Review: SolarForce M3 with L2T body

I have a similar question: Can you take a generic P60 drop-in and use that in the M3 head?

Thanks,
Jim

Yes, it fits.
Mike

Mike,

I emailed SolarForce over the weekend, and it sounded like that isn’t the case.

I said “sounded like” because the response wasn’t clear, so I’ve emailed back again.

I’ll post back if/when I get some clarification, but do you have an M3 head on an L2x host, and have you been able to take a different P60 drop-in and use it in the M3?

I build by myself XM-L and XP-G2 pills based on P60 empty drop-ins widely avalaible to buy on different websites. It works.
FYI XP-G2 @ 3A makes M3 great thrower.
Mike
s. Solarforce M3 pill switcheroo - it's easy! | Candle Power Flashlight Forum!

Hi,

Thanks for that link. I sent it along to Solarforce, and will post back what they say.

Just got my M3/K3 duo. Man I want to go camping now. I love the throw on this thing. Not sure if I even want to get an XML2 for it. K3 is great too.

WHAT?! Stock lights enough?! Blasphemy!

This forum preaches modification. Run a XML2 U2 1C dedomed at about 4.5a in that M3 and give that K3 around the same, then, and only then will they become spectacular. :smiley:

Nah, they are fantastic lights right out the box. I will forever be in love with my SolarForce lights. They SCREAM budget quality.

Maybe an XLM2 potted pill and put the M3 pill in a P60 dropin.

So I’m arriving where this thread ends. I would like a larger head for my Solarforce L2 bodies but don’t know if M3 or K3 is the best answer or if there is a cheaper solution on a different flashlight that will fit my Solarforce L2 bodies. I am going to start this converstaion in a new thread but also wanted to post here in case any one from this thread already has an answer. Thanks

I love my M3 and use it a lot, for hunting.

Mine’s got red and green XP-E’s and a 2.8A XP-G2.

Thanks for the pics and review! I had a few questions:

1) The M3 pill looks longer than a regular P60 pill. Doesn’t this mean using a P60 pill will have some slack or looseness?
2) Can the LED board and driver board be changed out / replaced? With what diameter boards?
3) What is the total length of the light with the M3 head?
4) The Solarforce tailcap on your light looks extra long, even taking into account the tailstanding feature. Is this correct?
5) I see threads on the brass pill. Does the brass pill screw into the head or does the reflector screw onto the pill?

Thank you for your help.

You can use a regular P60 pill in the M3 as long as the + contact spring is long enough. My M3 has red and green XP-E pills and a 2.8A XP-G2 pill, easily swapped. The reflector works well with the XP-E and XP-G’s. Will not work with the old XR-E, you get a donut hole.

The pill uses a pres fit brass ring to which a 17mm driver will fit. You need that ring otherwise a 17mm driver won’t go close to seating.

1) The pill same length, more belt less taper. Other pills stay tight they are threaded into the reflector.
2) Yes. The same as all others 17mm. This pill is the SolarForce XM-L U2 with the 2.7-9 volt driver.
3) It adds exactly 1” to overall length.
4) Lots of tail cap options. solarforceflashlight-sales.com
5) It screws into the reflector, then the reflector presses into the head at the bezel and the head screws over the host.

ok gents, thanks for all your help and answers. Just a few more questions came up as I was looking at pictures (the thread about switcheroo of pills):

Since a regular P60 pill fits, I assume I can get a copper one out there somewhere to replace the brass one. My next step is:

1) About the neck area of the reflector where the pill threads into - can I wrap copper tape around it to get more heat sink mass or does that ‘neck’ go into the host, thus preventing me from doing this?

2) What else can we do for better heatsinking?

3) Will a larger LED work with this head, like a XHP50?

Do not use copper tape. The adhesive actually slows down thermal transfer and is even worse. Juz wrap it with alu foil as tightly as u can and make sure the P60 fits in the body as tightly as possible. Any XML sized led is fine in the drop in.

In this case yes, your going to have to use adhesive tape. Since the pill is going in to the cup as the head goes over. Only way there since both happen together. The design as is has poor thermal path but better throw. So only wrapped and tucked in tight is going to help. Then your going to have two thermal paths. One with the pill path on the cup second through the large Aluminum reflector. I think XHP-50 not going to fit. You might look at the K3 instead it’s already set up for the MT-G2. The K3 add the same lentgh but is a few mm’s wider.