Review: Sony BCG-34HLD AA/AAA NiMH Charger

That was a great deal at $5.50, but that is what I paid. I have seen them for as much as $12, so the current price of $7.79 with free shipping is actually very good. My mother lost hers, so I wound up paying $7.99 later to get her another one. It's good to compare it to the exact same charger that comes with 4 2000mAh batteries, but that thing is over $27 right now.

Based on these last three posts, this is 3 different prices at Amazon just today.

The charger looks very much like my 3 year old Sanyo MQH03 charger that came with my Eneloops. Same layout, same folding plug, just newer and curvy design. I'll bet it's made by the same company and just has Sony on the outside.

Does this charger utilize -dv/dt termination?

I can’t really test it for that. It is a smart charger, so it must be using -dv, but I doubt it is monitoring temperature. I believe that it times out after 7 hours.

I picked this charger up a long time ago too from amazon ..it was under 5$ and only came with two batteries which is ok by me 1000Mah is pretty lame ..i'm wondering where those batteries are right now Hmmm??

Thanks Brted for letting batteries sit around doing nothing for a year just so we can have an accurate verifiable testing .....Me.. i just assumed they were cheap lsd 1000mah batteries that did what they said they would ..A year later you proved it ..i'm a genius

I have enough batteries lying around now that I can set some aside for tests like this. I have put some of these 1000mAh batteries in a couple of soap dispensers I have and they are doing fine. I’ve bought a total of 5 of these charges, so I have 10 batteries.

Thanks for the review this may be the one for me to get. Now where can I get a deal on it….?

AWESOME MATE. THANKS. Sorry but had to caps this awesome post.

Thank you for the review

The price varies, but yeah, it is pretty high right now at $15. Last month it was around $11. A year ago it was still $8.

Thanks for the review! So, it is a good idea to keep using this charger for my Eneloops? When I plug it with the Eneloops the light starts blinking, but the batteries are new.

Thanks!

I have a question for you guys who own this charger.
I have had this charger for more than 2 years, and it works great so far charging Sony Cycle Energy 2000 mah & Eneloop 2000mah.
The only doubt is what the spec says about charging 2500 & 2700 mah batteries.
Based on specs (and what people say), this charger also has a 7 hour safety timer cut-off.
If so, how could you possibly charge 2500 & 2700 mah which might need > 7 hours to charge ?
Sony datasheet indicates 8 hours to charge 2500- & 2700 mah fully, while at the same time explains that it will cut off in 7 hours.
It’s contradictory.

I wonder if the 7-hour timer is based on the previous charger model & Sony doesn’t update the datasheet.
I want to buy 2550mah Eneloop Pro (XX), but wonder if this charger can fully charge them.
Can anyone tell me if the 7-hour safety timer is still there ?