Review: Sysmax/NiteCore i2 Charger

I have seen some reports about Ni-Mh batts getting too hot with this charger… any idea?

Also, does this i2 has stainless steel guides in the springs as the i4 V2??

Thank you for this review, HKJ. Picked one up and have been using for the last several weeks with 18650’s (protected and laptop pulls) as well as Eneloops and so far have been satisfied (except for the 500ma output and time with the Li-Ions but I knew this going in)

My new Eneloop AA’s definitely get warm-very warm to the touch, but far from what I would call hot, let alone “too hot”. Not sure what the I4 has, but there are no steel guides “in” the spring, and certainly nothing like Jetbeam’s new “PRO” charger metal guide rails.

Hope this helps.

Thanks flash.light.

I have a i2 coming from manafont. It should arrive next week. Hope mine will be not defective.

Pity it has not the metal guides…. :Sp

How many chargers do you own fran? Or do you want and like more? ;)

All the material fails to list 10440 as supported by this charger. But I don’t understand why they wouldn’t work. Isn’t 10440 just the same voltage as 14500? And AAA NiMH fit in the charger. So I don’t understand why this charger can’t handle 10440 batteries. Has anyone tried this?

Is the charging rate too high?

Maybe I’m just misunderstanding. But is a 10440 not just a lower-capacity 14500? The charging rate of the i2 is 0.5A, which I imagine is fine.

And the i4 charges would charge two 10440s at 0.750A if you only put two in. There must be something I’m missing or Nitecore’s documentation is incorrect for the i2.

It is generally recommended to charge smaller LiIon with a current slightly below 1C.

10440 has a capacity below 350mAh, this makes a 500mA charge current way to high, except for IMR cells.

You can charge them with 500mA, but expect reduced lifetime and higher explosion risk

Thanks, HKJ, this is starting to make sense. So the i4 charger can charge at 350mA and 750mA is my understanding. So in the case of 10440s, it would select the 350mA charging even if only two cells are inserted? I guess that makes sense and thank you for the explanation!

rpm. With my limited knowledge 1C is the capacity of the batteries in mA. If a 10440 is rated at 350 mA then to charge them at 500mA would be exceeding the 1C recommendation. What is the minimum charging rate off this charger?

The i4 charger is always charging with about 700mA, but if you put two batteries in the correct slots, it will split the current between the two batteries (This does not depend on battery size).

This gives an average charge rate of 350mA, but remember: Must use the correct slot and both 10440 must be empty.

Generally I will not recommend the i4 for 10440 and I also gave it a note in my review.

Thanks so much guys for the explanation! I understand now. What a great community this is!

Can you throw a 32650 in either an i2 or i4?

I tried it with the i4 and the battery button top will not contact the + connection tab of the charger. They could however be rigged up external with some wire and magnets.

I have just ordered the i2 I want to charge the batteries for my vaping-mods.my batteries are
18650 imr,18500imr,18350 imr,16340 imr.18650 protected,18500 protected.I :cowboy_hat_face: hope the i2 will work well

goerkel…
You’ll be good to go!! I use the i2 with my AW IMR 18650’s and 18490’s with zero issues……
BTW….I’m vaping with a Reo Grand and Mini 2.1 from Rob @ ReosMods.com……Simple, and built to last FOREVER!!:smiley:
Good Luck!

Our favourite store sells i2 for just $11.20:

http://www.gearbest.com/chargers-batteries/pp_22024.html

Should I try?
Maybe they have 5 pieces?

$12 from a far more reliable company, and 2 day shipping if you have prime.
http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-i2-Intellicharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B0096U26QQ