Review - ThruNite Archer 1A V3 (Pic Heavy)

Hi, my Thrunite Archer 1A V3 just died on me today :(.
I think something hard just broke the side switch. When i press the switch real hard, the light flickers and changes modes, but goes off when i release the switch.

I successfully opened up the lamp, but I#m miserable failing getting the driver out of the middle piece. is it screwed, press fit or how is it held in place so snug?

I removed the batterytube, reflector head and bezel using heat, unscrewed the stainless sidebutton bezel, unsoldered and unscrewed the LED und cooling pad.
so now i’m left with the middle part with the Serial Number and the driver inside.

ImA4Wheelr can you help me and give me a hint how you got the driver out of the housing?

Also do you have an idea where to get a replacement Switch?

Maybe I’m betting on the wrong horse and somebody has an idea what the Problem could be, if it’s not the sideswitch?

thank you in Advance and kind Regards from freezing Austria

Julian

Hi julzZz303. I don't recall any issue pulling the driver out. Sounds like the driver was a very tight press fit or got some thread lock on it. You might be able to pry it down from the side-switch hole or push it out from above through one of the emitter shelf holes. You will have to be very careful because that driver is loaded with components.

Before you go further, have you ruled out the tail switch? Flickering sounds like a connection issue and the tail cap is the most likely source of a connection problem. If you haven't, see how the light works without the tail cap on. Somehow bridge contact between the bottom of the cell to the non-anodized part of the battery tube.

Regarding replacement switches, you can buy variety packs of a hundreds with switches for cheap via Ali and Ebay. They are very handy to have on hand. I use them to fix/mod my lights and all kinds of special projects. Have used them to make vap mods from scratch, fuel kill switches for cars, etc.

I will try to look at my light tonight if I still have it, but I think I gave it to my nephew. I'll report back.

EDIT: I just occured to me what is probably holding your driver. My driver was partially potted. If they assembled the light before the compound was cured, it may have made contact and fused to the host. The stuff isn't very strong. It crumbles when picked at, but it would probably make removing the driver very difficult. You could probably pick at the stuff from the emitter shelf holes, but be careful to not use much force. You don't want to break a component in the process. Here are some pics of the driver. Just right click and press "View" to see full size.

With potting compound removed:

EDIT: Finally confirmed that I gave the light to my nephew. All I can think to suggest beyond above is to remove the bezel, lens, and reflector. Then, put some alcohol around the driver's perimeter in hopes that it softens up any glue or whatever is holding your driver in place.

ImA4Wheelr, how does this light compare with other compatible out?

Like Wuben E05, Sonfirn etc… Just curious.

^

Unfortunately, I don't have the light anymore to do such a comparison. I need to keep my eye out for a replacement as I really liked this light.