Review: Unbranded 18650 XM-L U2 Flood to Throw Flashlight / Headlamp Combo

Welcome aboard, kevind43!

i was not aware that there are headlamps that take p60 drop ins with some sort of cannibalization. i have searched turned up nuttin.

But if I recall correctly it was similar to THIS

Of course, now it’s sold out.

I have not done it personally, but I seem to remember it was E1320 that discovered it.

You could PM him and ask.

Thank you for this review, Sharpthangs.
It convinced me of buying this light and I am not disappointed: it is a very nice, bright and flexible little torch.

I second the notion that a memory and a steadier box would have been nice.
Besides that this deal gives a lot of bang for the buck.

Would it be possible to pimp one of these with a Lupodrv driver?
Custom modes would be very nice, as would the memory.

Well, I got mine and played around with it.
I didn’t end up liking the zoom feature- at full zoom the aspheric gives a tiny rectangular beam, and the wide beam has a sharp cut-off that is annoying to run with.

I replaced the aspheric with a plain glass lens, and put in an optic from LED-DNA. Also added an o-ring to improve water resistance.

I placed Loctite thread sealer on the zoom mechanism to at least make it water resistant,and covered with heat-shrink. The zoom no longer works, but I don’t miss it. I’ll probably permanently bond the head in position at some point.

I also installed a Lupodrv, which I set up with 5 evenly-spaced modes.

It’s quite a nice light now, and will make a decent flashlight too.

Next mod will be to install Magicshine connectors so I can use some of my exisiting 3.7v battery packs, or a 3xAA battery pack.

Mine broke where the emitter threads onto the body. It has been a great light and I would like to get a new part so I can keep using this light. I have sent a message to keygos a few times but they have not responded. Any suggestions?

If Keygos is not responding to your emails, the only thing I can suggest is purchasing another one. I have got a lot of use out of mine and it is still going strong. I have steered 3 other people to this light and they have been happy with it also.

Boo, Keygos is listed on Ebay, but he has no items for sale. A friend wanted me to get one of these lights for him…

Does anyone know where to get this light or another good xml-u2 zoomie?

Does Keygos sell under another name now?

Thanks!
John

Nice^ ^ I am interested in it too :open_mouth:

I have used mine for a couple of years now and it is still my go to light for night fishing. My daughter is starting to go with me now so I wanted to get one for her, but I am unable to find anything like it. I don’t want a 2*18650 head lamp. I find the zoom very useful, so I guess I am looking for a single 18650 headlamp with a zoomie. I don’t care if it converts to a flashlight, as I have plenty of good flashlights and will soon add a couple of the BLF A6 lights from the GB. Any suggestions?