Review WowTac A3S (Zoomable 18650)

I’ve seen that difference in two big box store lights. My Coast with IPX8 has a twist zoom that’s so tight I have to fight it with two hands to get it started, whereas my old Coleman twisted easily with one hand. My Ozark Trail has a slide zoom that is easy to push and pull, and I haven’t noticed it moving, although I don’t do much of anything that would cause it. That’s what I’d hoped the A3S would be like. Live and learn.

I don’t want to pay full price for one now, but I posted a “want to buy” in case anyone else here would like to off-load one.

I would just contact Wowtac again and explain that you’d like to try a replacement instead of the refund you got, ask if they’ll give you a special code to use.

I’ll think about that. Since I’ve already gotten the refund, and since they have already told me that they are all the same, I am doubtful they will do anything further about it. But thanks for the idea.

My Wowtac A3 with SBT-70

That looks good with that round focused beam…….may have to get the instruction manual form you so I can do mine like that….lol

The SBT-70 is a discontinued Luminous emitter, might be hard to find. They used to be around $60 each. :wink:

I exchanged several emails with Wowtac about the zoom problem I had with my A3S, and they consistently maintain that it is just like the A3. I didn’t think they would do it, but I finally asked if they would consider selling me one directly that they could check to be sure the zoom head moves easily. They wrote back, again insisting that it is exactly like the A3 in that regard (I took that as a no to my question).

So was mine defective, or were the ones that moved easily anomalies? Besides that problem I really like the flashlight. So now I have to decide whether I want to risk it again, which would mean deciding I like it enough to live with the zoom being hard to move if the new one is the same. I’m not a collector; I’d just like to wind up with a flashlight I really like. In the meantime I’ll use my Thorfire TK15 (which Thorfire is replacing because of a problem with the switch).

I tell ya what rick…….
if you really like the light and want one , go ahead and order it and if the zoom wont stay focused you can send it to me and I will get the problem solved if at all possible. If not I will send you the one I have in exchange anddddddd for the icing on the cake , I will even pay the return shipping to you.

Sent mine back after the loose plastic disc problem.
My sample did not have the pressure lock problem, but maybe because the disc was broken loose it may have also affected the seal of the head.
Don’t know.
Got refunded, may order another later but I am leaning to not, because of quality control issues and most of all the glued head.

I do have 3 other Atactical’s and the orig Wowtac A3 and like them but this model not so much.

That’s a really generous offer. When you speak of the zoom not staying focused, I guess we’re talking about the same problem: it’s harder to slide out that it should be, and it I let it go immediately, it slides back a little (and the other direction when I pull it back). How would you go about repairing it? Install a thinner O-ring? It’s rated at IPX4, although it could be a little lower, I think. I’m not likely to be out in the rain long while using it.

Thanks again. I’ll give that some thought and get back with you soon.

By the way, I’m in a suburb next to Dallas on the east side. If you’re not far away, I could bring it to you and see how you do it.

The problem is the light is too airtight. Push-pull zoomies need to have a small opening to allow air pressure to equalize when the zoom is cycled. This opening can be very small, but it needs to be there.

A simple fix might be cutting one of the o-rings so that it becomes a “c-ring”. The gap in the cut should be enough.

After time and use, wouldn’t the pushing and pulling cause the O-ring to wrinkle or curl and get jammed up? That would kill all water resistance, too, wouldn’t it?

Right, if you think about it a zoomie can’t be water proof. It’s like a syringe, after all. Extend it to the small hot spot and stick it down in a glass of alcohol, like isopropyl alcohol (no battery) and pull it back to wide angle… it’ll suck up the alcohol just like a syringe. now you get to dry it all out and have a nice clean zoomie. :slight_smile:

It might possibly result in jamming of the o-ring. Depends on the o-ring setup.

It would destroy water resistance. But keep in mind that it’s a small push-pull zoomie. It can’t be airtight if you want a smooth zoom. If you want a water-resistant light you should look to non-zoomies. Or if you really want a zoomie look for ones with a very stiff screw-type zoom. The added friction from the screw threads should be enough to withstand changing air pressure inside the light.

I’d trust my zoomies in wet weather, including rain. But anything beyond that is too much for them.

I’m not too concerned with a high level of water resistance. Dropping from IPX4 to 3 would probably be fine. I was more interested in whether the O-ring, when it contracts and becomes loose after being cut, would jam it up. But I don’t have the know-how to get into the head of the thing, and would hate to completely screw it up by doing it wrong. I’d leave repairing to someone who knows about such things.

I’ll have to take another look at my A3S. I haven’t tried disassembling it.

I did open up the head on my A3 though. It wasn’t glued. The bezel was held on by an o-ring and was just stiff. A little 3M indoor stairway grip tape at the bezel and it came right off.

I never did get the bezel off the A3 and sent it to Dale after I got the A3S. He did get the A3 apart with some heat so then I tried the A3S after that.

It was definitely glued and took all I had Gripping it with some soft rubber and catching the bezel on a piece of wood in the grooves. Maybe they are hit and miss if the lights get glue or not?

Another A3S ordered.

I’m tempted to try swapping the XPG2 emitter in my A3 with an SST40.