Review: XTAR MP1 Charger 1x li-ion

Seem like. MP1 is really good charger but (un)fortunately ML-102 charger is even better in my opinion. It has additional feature-charging usb devices and also supports higher charging current. They are based on same hardware (battery charging part) but I have a feeling that a lot more effort and love went into designing ML-102...

I have three Xtar MP1. Two of them charge up to 4,16-4,17V. But one up to 4,22V

I have two ML-102. So far they have finished 4.18V constantly. The plastic is really a high quality one. I have taken apart one, after you mentioned about it and the soldering is high class.

Current is dependent on the power supply, more precisely, the quality of it. Some power supplies are rated 1A but can give only 0.7A

I know this thread is a bit old… but I have installed a voltage indicator con this charger, and when I insert a battery with 4V, it stays in GREEN but it still charges the battery as usual, maybe it is a LED indicator bug.

I have a question for owners. :slight_smile:

If those chargers (MP1/ML-102) are powered by Blackberry phone charger (declared output on that charger is 5V/2A), instead to use USB computer host and provided USB cable (what should be about 0,5A input i think), what’s changed?
Do they stay on usual (normal) charging or charge on higher current?
I’m a bit worried - 2A (if that’s true, LOL) sounds to me like maybe too much current… has anyone tried that combination?

Here (for the ML-102) they say:
*Charging current is 500mA when connected to a computer USB port.
*The charging current is 1000mA when it’s connected through an adapter to the mains socket.

If i understood correctly, Budgeteer says no problems with similar charger on 1A input current delivered to MP1, and no changes in charging with MP1, but this (2A input) would be 4x current, after all? Hmmm… :~

That's not an issue. It just means that your adaptor can supply up to 2A, but it doesn't "force" 2A through the charger.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. :slight_smile:

Actually, it sounds logical, but… it confuses me a bit (this that I quoted above) … and I do not know… I have a charger for the Blackberry, and somehow don’t like the idea to connect MP1 to USB if I don’t have to. :wink:

Right now I watch chargers, reading reviews and so… and somehow my choice falls to Xtars… now have the MP1 and WP2 in the short list… MP1 is cheaper, and one cradle will be enough for me for some time, i think… choices, choices… :bigsmile:

Concerning the bit you quoted about the ML-102, I guess its curcuit is designed in a way that it can make use of a higher current if it is supplied, but falls back to 500mA if it is connected to a lower rated USB host.

I'd just buy the MP1, it's not a luxurious charger, but it's perfectly fine and you will have more change left for another flashlight

LOL, Your way of thinking is quite similar to mine… :smiley:

I’m looking for reliable charger, and… after all reviews that MP1 always somehow… pops up again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, thanks for comment. :beer: