[review] XTAR PB2S charger/powerbank

Displays in red are the “special/limited” edition.

Thanks for the info.

I prefer white led.

But…. Two things stop me from buying: the price and the rubber coating….

Thanks for the review, Lightbringer - I’m definitely interested, now that it takes protected 18650s.

Found more images and specs on the AliExpress listing:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000107760986.html

Only 2A at 5V (10W)? That’s odd, given that it can do 2A at 9V (18W) and 1.5A at 12V (also 18W).

I really want the USB-C specified 3A at 5V… I think I’ll hold off on buying one until I see some HKJ-style measurements.

Can it be used as an ups?

Regarding rubber coating: it depends.
My smartphone has a rubber coated back, 3 years old, still fine.
The previous mobile also had a rubber coated back, carried it in my pocket from 2006 to 2016, now retired, the coating is still fine, just a bit worn off on the edges, but not gooey.

I have the PBS2 and really love it! I run with a set of NCR lower discharge high capacity cells and find the unit to be super handy and it provides a spare flashlight battery if need be. The low charge current thing does drive me nuts, may be enough to make me get the new one. Just not crazy about the unit getting bigger.

Unno, got mine right here and it doesn’t bug me. Maybe ’cause I don’t have an original PB2? Still, the ’S doesn’t seem all that big to me. Not like I keep it in my pocket or anything…

I just tested using it as a UPS, and its not something I’d suggest as when input power is cut or resumed it cuts the output for a fraction of a second. This would make it useless as a UPS for something that needs to stay up (Raspberry pi or similar such devices). It does seem to provide output while being charged though after that brief outage.

Thanks for testing the ups function.

Nice techie review of detailed charging/discharging performance at Test/review of Xtar PB2S Charger & power bank !

Seems the PB2S is nicely designed both inside and out! :laughing: