Sanyo UR18650ZT 18650 2800mAh review/test

2300mAh like mentioned before…

Here is my comparison graph of the UR18650ZT vs. Panasonic NCR18650A. This was charged to 4.3V. I’ll charge it to 4.2V and retest.
Discharged at 1A.

The ZT has a slightly lower capacity than the Pana NCRA, but the voltage throughout the discharge cycle is much higher, which is very important for single cell lights.
For example, if a light could output 100% down to 3.5V, the Panasonic could go for ~1.5 hours, where the Sanyo would go for almost 2.25 hours.
The Sanyo ZTs work well for me. I have 10 of them and will likely get more.
I will mainly be using the Panasonics in multi-cell lights where the voltage is a little less important.

Thanks for the comparison. Could you also compare to the NCR18650B?

Were both cells unprotected?
I am curious of the 4.2V graphs, we all know it is much worse but nobody has tested the same cell at both voltages yet.

I do not have any NCR18650B cells to test.

Yes, both were unprotected.

I should be able to complete the Sanyo ZT @4.2V test today sometime and get the results up tonight.
My guess; less than 250mAh lower than when charged to 4.3V.

And less voltage over whole range i guess…

Is it true that on the protected version of the Sanyo 2800's the protection circuit will trip at too low of a voltage? Someone posted that, but I'd like to hear confirmation. I was thinking to order some (4 for a SkyRay King).

-Garry

I think all the protected sanyo/panasonic have the same protection circuit which trip in at 2.5V.

I also heard that the Protected ZTs use a standard protection board, so they will not allow a 4.3V charge.
I do not have them (not a fan of protected cells for my own use), so I cannot confirm.
Based on the way Fasttech has them listed, it’s 4.2V max. In the discussion it was confirmed by their supplier.
I doubt that 4.3V protection chips are very popular, given that 95% of Li-Ion is 4.2V.
I’ve also heard good things about UR18650FM 2600mAh, which are 4.2V and are available in protected or unprotected at Fasttech.

I do understand the protection circuit is likely to prevent charging much beyond 4.2v; I'm fine with that. It was just the low voltage (discharge) protection which someone posted would trip way too low (below 2.5v i think) that I would be concerned about.

So what is the advantage to these cells (protected, with 4.2v max charge) over the 4.2v Sanyo 2600's? Is it just longevity - longer life expectancy due to not being charged to 100%? Perhaps I should just go with the protected 2600's.

-Garry

Having not used the Sanyo FM cells, I cannot vouch for their performance. On paper (LCD screen, whatever) the protected UR18650FM 2600 makes more sense. I do recall seeing that they also have a higher voltage during the discharge cycle. This would be a benefit in the SRK as well since the cells are all in parallel.

Thanks relic! Still looking forward to your discharge test @ 4.2v on these 2800's.

-Garry

Discharge in progress… :wink:

my protected ZT allows a 4.3v charge :slight_smile:

Test complete, here’s an updated graph. Pretty much what I expected; 2262mAh.

Charging to 4.3V gets you an extra 200-300mAh and a 70-80mV advantage in the first hour. It still easily holds a better voltage than the Panasonic NCRA.
For about $10-11/pair, 2200-2300mAh isn’t too bad especially with the voltage advantage. Charge to 4.3V for a little extra punch. :wink:

http://www.dampfakkus.de/akkuvergleich.php?akku1=122&akku2=103&akku3=&akku4=&akku5=&akku6=&a=2

Thanks Relic. The ZT also holds a slightly higher initial voltage than the UR version throughout the first half of the discharge curve. The ZT was tested at 4.3V so (extrapolating from your test) at 4.2V the results would be similar on total mah between ZT and UR. It looks like I might have a use for some of the cheap 18650 chargers in my collection that terminate past 4.2V.

Thanks relic! So now I'm left to decide between protected ZT and protected FM's . . . hmmm.

-Garry

I have a cheap little charger that terminates at 4.25v. So the question is; would the ZT cells perform better than the FM cells at this voltage?

Marc.

Overclocker,

That’s really interesting that your protected Sanyo ZT will accept a 4.3V charge.
Where did you buy them from?

Tough to determine without a side-by-side test and I do not have the FM cells to try.